Pike hangers/indicators

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty Pike hangers/indicators

Post  grahambrooke on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 pm

I`ve been thinking about buying some hangers/indicators for pike fishing, i notice they are different to carp hangers and tend to be placed on the rear rest. What is the difference and are they better?
grahambrooke
grahambrooke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty Re: Pike hangers/indicators

Post  wolfie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:06 am

with placing the indicators at the rear youb can fish with an open bail arm
wolfie
wolfie

View user profile http://www.pikeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:42 am

wots wrong with a line clip? thats what i use. never had a prob, and can still fish open bail arm.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne the pain on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 am

MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:wots wrong with a line clip? thats what i use. never had a prob, and can still fish open bail arm.

Mad Bad do you do this while ledgerimg? as line clip wouldn't indicate a drop back. Smile
wayne the pain
wayne the pain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:59 am

sorry wayne but you lost me on that as no matter what form of indication you use it should show a drop back because the mad one has his line in a clip it is only there to stop the line falling off the spool when im float fishing on the drains i dont use rod rests i just lay my rods on the bank but i put my line under a band on myreel seat and just open the bail arm
wolfie
wolfie

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty bite indicators

Post  bigchris on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 pm

laggy band round rod and line pulled back through it pirat

bigchris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:33 pm

bigchris wrote:laggy band round rod and line pulled back through it pirat

a small pieces of push bike inner tube lasts longer Wink Wink
wolfie
wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Pike Swingers or drop-arm indicators (whatever you call them) are just a nice, simple, easy to spot way of tripping your alarms, whilst keeping a tension on the line but they're not an absolute requirement. Handy? Yes, they make life simpler but if you're vigilant in your pike fishing, no problem. I'm not retricted to a maximum butt-distance or a maximum rod-limit like my English counterparts. I often fish in long grass on a point of land and I prefer the long soak approach. I also like to read, throw a lure around, fish for other species or just have a lie down, so I can't always see all of my rods and I prefer the drop-arm audible approach but if I switched to a float, I'd probably turn the alarm off and stick my polaroids on. That's just my preference. Whatever you do, as long as you can see or hear a take, in any direction, job done.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne the pain on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:27 pm

wolfie wrote:sorry wayne but you lost me on that as no matter what form of indication you use it should show a drop back because the mad one has his line in a clip it is only there to stop the line falling off the spool when im float fishing on the drains i dont use rod rests i just lay my rods on the bank but i put my line under a band on myreel seat and just open the bail arm

Wolfie what i mean is, if your ledgering and no indicator to show you if a fish has moved towards you and indicate a drop back, how would this show up with a line clip/ elastic band? Smile
wayne the pain
wayne the pain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  grahambrooke on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:33 pm

So my existing carp style hangers would suffice, and i wouldn`t need my bail arm off as my baitrunner reels lossen right off. Don`t think i`ll bother then, unless anyone can see another reason.
grahambrooke
grahambrooke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty hangers/indicators

Post  bigchris on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:38 pm

what youve got fine m8 itl do the job.the only reason i can see for buying them is if you fancy treating yoursen Cool

bigchris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Wayne

If you use front alarms along with hangers or swingers you can then clip up so that your bail arm is open but the line is secure (or use the free spool on the baitrunner and no clip).

Just like carp fishing really.

A lot of folks like the rear attached indicators with the line immediatley under the spool in the line clip but please make sure that the clip is a good un and that the line does not stick in it because if it does you could be sat all day with a pike with hooks in its belly because the drop back did not register. Cool

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Two post appeared while I was writing that lot

I must get quicker at this typing lark.

Andy Webster drunken

Andy Webster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne the pain on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:07 pm

Yeh know what you mean, as i use drop off indicators on my rods. but now i see how you will detect a drop back, now you have said you use carp swingers on the front of your rods. sorry for the confusion. Smile
wayne the pain
wayne the pain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Graham, the reason I prefer the rear drop-arm indicators is I fish open-bail arm style so I couldn't use front swingers, unless I used a band but that's too much fiddling for me and the Pike Swingers have a rigid elbow, meaning they only move up and down. There's no way they can move from side-to-side.
When you fish some of the more windswept venues, an indicator with side-to-side movement can make your alarms bleep all day long and believe me, there's only so much of that you can put up with. Some of the front swingers are also rigid and they're ideal too but the loose cord or metal bead chain type hangers can suffer from the same problem.
You can become complacent with single wind bleeps, which is dangerous as pike can sometimes take baits and the alarms only bleep the once, so it's very wise to negate any possibility of wind bleeps occurring, unless it's a fish.
Another good idea is to have some very good bank-sticks or a solid pod. You'll often hear anglers complaining about this alarm or that indicator and they have them attached to the cheapest, most wobbly bank-sticks they could find, so it's not always the indicators or the alarms that are at fault. I use the Dinsmore Powerdrive bank-sticks, which are brilliant things. I'd even go as far as saying they completely changed my bait-fishing for pike because I did suffer from the problems mentioned and it was beginning to tell on my patience. I borrowed a set of Powerdrives from Chris Barlow and that was me sold after a single session. I went out the following day and bought 3 long and 3 medium Powerdrives. They screw into just about any kind of terrain, give you a solid fixing and totally negate any possible wobbling in the wind, which is another cause of the dreaded single bleep syndrome.
The reason for having 3 long and 3 medium is I can have the long sticks at the rear if I wish to keep my tips submerged or I can have them at the front, if I wish to fish with my rods elevated beachcaster style.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Green.PAC on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Delkim front alarms and Fox pike swingers are the perfect set up for positive/sensitive bite indication. Smile

Mark Green.PAC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Pikeman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

I agree thats what i use,
Delkim at the front and fox drop off indicators on dinsmore arrowpoint 3ft banksticks,
When fishing with my mates their alarms are always giving false bleeps,
I never get a sound out of mine unless there is a pike on the other end,
Some days i never hear mine all day, I always test them at the start though.
The thing is with delkims if you put duracell batteries in they will last me 2 seasons.
Mr Pikeman
Mr Pikeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:04 pm

I think bank-sticks are just as important for good bite-indication. Crappy bank-sticks wobble which defeats the point in having rigid arm indicators or adjustable sensitivity alarms. I suggest anyone who is suffering from unwanted bleeps, wobbles, or is taking up bait-fishing, goes for the Dinsmore Powerdrive bank-sticks or something similar before they blame their indicators or alarms. They last a lifetime anyway so they're a good investment.

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty two birds with one stone anyone??

Post  robh107 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:06 pm

over the years i have used virtually all the methods described in this forum for bite indication, and although front end alarms are ok i find that some are just not sensitive enough to pick up on line movement from a reel with an open bale arm unless you fish front end swingers too (this drags the line down and creates just enough tension on the runner wheel to make it turn and for the alarm to sound).
so for this reason i prefer to use rear indication (i recommend drop off alarms i.e fox micron p / e.t backbiter), as this kills 2 birds with 1 stone combining line clip and alarm in one swoop and costs the same per alarm as a cheap front end swinger and alarm would.
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:47 pm

er couldnt you just use whatever indicators you have at the rear instead of screwed under the alarm and fish open bail, fair enough they would work better attached lower down the bankstick than under the rear rests

when its all said and done a bobbin is a bobbin

says the man with god knows how many sets solar original, then the fat solar ones, wangers, fox springers, matrix hot heads, middy drop offs fox swingers (one of my worst buys ever) ET drop offs

dont get started on alarms
noodle
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty rear indication

Post  robh107 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:53 pm

yes noodle, i have attempted this myself with a set of fox mk1 swingers i had, and fair enough they worked OK but i felt they were too limited (because of the mounting height) for showing drop backs so i wouldnt recommend it unless you really had no other option
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:29 pm

I don't understand why people have bother with indication. It's simple. I use Fox Micron Ms and Fox Pike Swingers on Dinsmore Powerdrive bank-sticks. The butt-ring sits tight against the alarm, which negates any line-slip, the swinger weight is pushed down to the head to show positive drop-backs and the head sits tight under the spool. That's it. It's simple stuff.
I'll say one thing about indication setups. I'd say as many as 9/10 pikers I see have their indication set up wrong, yet they'll stand there and tell you that they've tried all kinds of alarms, indicators, bobbins, swingers, monkey-climbers and all manner of stuff and it's patently obvious they just don't have a clue what they're doing and like I've said already, a 100 quid alarm won't solve anything if it's attached to a 99p bank-stick.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pike hangers/indicators Empty indicators

Post  robh107 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:41 pm

the setup you just described is exactly the same as i used to use just before i got my micron p's andy, but even with the butt ring tight to the micron m i still had alot of problems with line slipping over the alarm, to the extent where even with the alarms i'd still be watching the pike swingers closely because when a run occurs the alarm would only bleep 3/4 times.
its just down to personal preference... i fish with micron p's now, and i set them tight under the spool with the line tight and i ensure that even if i just get a dropback of 1 inch as the pike moves the lead the alarm will sound.
for me, nothing beats this setup for accurate indication
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm not arguing with your choice but I have to ask, how many times does an alarm have to bleep before you'll take notice?? Once should be enough to sit up and take notice. 3-4 times is a fish if you ask me. Anything more is just added noise.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:18 pm

i know 3-4 times is a fish but when it only bleeps 20 seconds after the line has been pulled from the clip it could result in a deep hooked fish... i've seen it happen more than once with that set up mate
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next