PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dead bait dilema

+11
Andy Macfarlane
essox_lucius1
craigpix2000
esoxjeff
Lefty
robh107
MAD BAD ANGLER
Alex Makk
tootall
paddy pike
stubbo
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

dead bait dilema - Page 2 Empty Re: dead bait dilema

Post  Andy Webster Wed May 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Where do all you sardine addicts place the hooks in the bait?

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Where do all you sardine addicts place the hooks in the bait?

One in the tail-root, in line with the latral line, right through the spine and one in the hard gristly part at the front of the dorsal fin....or one of the pectoral or anal fins. I find the flank is far too soft to hold a hook properly, if the sardine is defrosted.

That's why I go to great pains to keep my baits frozen on the bank. I hate fiddling about with elastic, casting clips (or similar methods) or looking for the ideal hooking position.

Frozen bait??....no problems.... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 pm

make a trace with 1 large single and 1 treble, large single through root of sardine treble in flank Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
Andy Webster wrote:Where do all you sardine addicts place the hooks in the bait?

One in the tail-root, in line with the latral line, right through the spine and one in the hard gristly part at the front of the dorsal fin....or one of the pectoral or anal fins. I find the flank is far too soft to hold a hook properly, if the sardine is defrosted.

That's why I go to great pains to keep my baits frozen on the bank. I hate fiddling about with elastic, casting clips (or similar methods) or looking for the ideal hooking position.

Frozen bait??....no problems.... geek
Very Happy Years ago we used to get balsa rods, As you probably know it a very boyant light wood, You would cut these to the size of the sardine, Then tie a piece of wire to it and insert it into the sardine, Then when you put your trebles into the fish you push them through the balsa wood, But the drawback is, You have to strike very quick so the Pike does not swollow the bait, if you were unlucky and it did, Then the wire you had put to the balsa was used to extract the bait from the Pike, Or at least the balsa wood Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 pm

The few Pike I had this season were ALL caught on Lamprey. Not really tried Trout but I shall do..

The Pike at the Cellars fish-in seemed only to feed on Rainbow Trout (Upper class Pike lol Razz lol! ).

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Bazz wrote:The few Pike I had this season were ALL caught on Lamprey. Not really tried Trout but I shall do..

The Pike at the Cellars fish-in seemed only to feed on Rainbow Trout (Upper class Pike lol Razz lol! ).
Shocked Very Happy My second favourite bait Bazz Very Happy Cool
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri May 21, 2010 11:45 pm

going back to lamprey had alot of missed runs on it suspect there not pike probably perch or eels any thoughts on that
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sat May 22, 2010 11:07 am

i'd say they're more than likely perch mate... never known an eel to take a piece of lamprey
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

dead bait dilema - Page 2 Empty baits

Post  essox_lucius1 Sun May 23, 2010 12:10 am

trout are 1st choice on waters that contain them less so on none trout waters though they can have a novelty value lol
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun May 23, 2010 9:15 pm

robh107 wrote:i'd say they're more than likely perch mate... never known an eel to take a piece of lamprey
funny you should say that the lake i fish in wales this guy was fishing lamprey section about 3 inch he caught a big eel must have been knocking 5lb i kid you not...........he was after pike.. Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 pm

i think an eel will have a peck at most baits caught them on single maggot under the float after roach quite a opportunists them eels Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 pm

stubbo wrote:i think an eel will have a peck at most baits caught them on single maggot under the float after roach quite a opportunists them eels Suspect
Very Happy Dont forget though that Lamprey used to be a good Conger bait when sea fishing Shocked Used it a lot years ago around the Isle of Man Cool
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon May 24, 2010 8:43 pm

paddy pike wrote:
stubbo wrote:i think an eel will have a peck at most baits caught them on single maggot under the float after roach quite a opportunists them eels Suspect
Very Happy Dont forget though that Lamprey used to be a good Conger bait when sea fishing Shocked Used it a lot years ago around the Isle of Man Cool
caught a good gonger at bull bay few years back it had a 2lb wrasse inside it pluss the chummy that i groundbaited with ......chopped makerall Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 pm

stubbo wrote:
paddy pike wrote:
caught a good gonger at bull bay few years back it had a 2lb wrasse inside it pluss the chummy that i groundbaited with ......chopped makerall Very Happy
Very Happy Great fishing going for Conger, Very Happy Bull bay was a top conger spot years ago, A few lads who were on "Cast and catch Forum" used to love it there,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue May 25, 2010 6:44 pm

good mark for conger and pollock close in to the cliff face but the rats are a problem dont put your buttys down Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

dead bait dilema - Page 2 Empty eel

Post  essox_lucius1 Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 am

stubbo wrote:
robh107 wrote:i'd say they're more than likely perch mate... never known an eel to take a piece of lamprey
funny you should say that the lake i fish in wales this guy was fishing lamprey section about 3 inch he caught a big eel must have been knocking 5lb i kid you not...........he was after pike.. Suspect
my biggest eel came to lamprey as did my 2nd biggest both big fish and both took bait properly
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm

robh107 wrote:never known an eel to take a piece of lamprey

Agreed. It rarely happens in my experience also Rob.

I would say the most common bait that least likely to attract the attentions of eels, is eel itself.

First thing I go for (if I have it) when eels are becoming a nuisance.

That said, I think the time has come when we should be refraining from using eels. Even though they're still very common round my neck of the woods, I know they're very much on the decline round various parts of the UK, so even though the reduction of eels doesn't affect me directly, I think all should be done to save the species.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

dead bait dilema - Page 2 Empty eel

Post  essox_lucius1 Thu May 27, 2010 9:42 pm

i have not caught an eel localy for 2 yrs even a lake that was stuffed with them is producing none or atleast none 2 me
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Never liked handling eels myself, but have noticed a decline in people saying they've caught them. Didn't personally catch one for years until last year, and that was the only one I know of apart from gavin1928 catching one the same time I caught my first chub (also last year).
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  esox lee Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:06 am

90% of my big pike on dead baits have fallen to either roach or herring couldnt pick one to be honest

esox lee

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:23 pm

esox lee wrote:90% of my big pike on dead baits have fallen to either roach or herring couldnt pick one to be honest
Very Happy I had been groundbaiting with chopped crayfish tails, then i have been dropping the odd free Smelt into the same swim, As all free offerings help the Pike get confidence, Then as it happens it has paid dividends, So far this season i have had some good Pike, And 15.8Lb being the best of the three ive caught, Very Happy
TAKE A LOOK HERE AT MY BLOG
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  esox lee Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 pm

paddy pike wrote:
esox lee wrote:90% of my big pike on dead baits have fallen to either roach or herring couldnt pick one to be honest
Very Happy I had been groundbaiting with chopped crayfish tails, then i have been dropping the odd free Smelt into the same swim, As all free offerings help the Pike get confidence, Then as it happens it has paid dividends, So far this season i have had some good Pike, And 15.8Lb being the best of the three ive caught, Very Happy
TAKE A LOOK HERE AT MY BLOG

it's very rare i get the bait rods out these days, but i have read a few articles over the last year or two about chunking for pike and it seem to be very productive.
i'm planning a trip to watermark fisheries for a week towards the end of the summer so i might give it a go, but a week is a long time to keep baits so im looking at buying a 24v coolbox and making mods to run of a 900ah battery.
i figure a 900ah battery should be enough to run a coolbox lamp and ipod for a week Smile

esox lee

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:38 pm

its nice to ch Very Happy Very Happy uck a bait out sometimes just to slow it down abit dont you think
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2