Anybody piking or even catching?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anybody piking or even catching? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody piking or even catching?

Post  paddy pike on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:53 pm

newie2010 wrote:5 rods? ive out done a guy with 6 rods to my 3 a few years back......

he had 1 pike to low singles and i had around 7/8 fish to 18lb and was fishing 200yrds away roughly.

personally if piking deads/lives and your on your own, i wouldnt advise more than 3 rods, knowing my luck, ill be playing 1 and the others will go Razz Razz Razz (not happened yet lol)
You did well, When i say we had 5 rods out, There were 4 of us fishing, I dont think it would have mattered if we had 12 rods out, When your not catching your not catching, But i have had two rods running at the same time, If it happens and your on your own then set the hooks on the rod your holding then put it down with the bait runner on, And set the hooks on your second rod, Otherwise the pike will swollow the whole lot,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Anybody piking or even catching? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody piking or even catching?

Post  Lefty on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

paddy pike wrote:But i have had two rods running at the same time, If it happens and your on your own then set the hooks on the rod your holding then put it down with the bait runner on, And set the hooks on your second rod, Otherwise the pike will swollow the whole lot

That to me would be a nightmare situation. I have never liked the idea of multiple rods in use, especially for pike. BUT, if an experienced angler is confident in what he/she is doing and can cope with the situation then all is good.

I think the problem arises when somebody new to pike fishing thinks along the lines of carp fishing and sets up multiple rods. They then find themselves in the above situation unable to do anything about it. It sends shivers down my spine and horrible thoughts running through my mind thinking about the consequences. pale

I have been known on the odd ocassion to take a little 3mt whip with to pass the time between pike bites. Sounds contradictory on my behalf I know but much easier to control by yanking the 6ft (max) of 4lb line, tiny float and hook with a single maggot on out of the edge than worrying about a second run at the same time as I'm reeling one in.
Lefty
Lefty

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 50
Location : Cadeby

Back to top Go down

Anybody piking or even catching? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody piking or even catching?

Post  paddy pike on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Lefty wrote:
paddy pike wrote:But i have had two rods running at the same time, If it happens and your on your own then set the hooks on the rod your holding then put it down with the bait runner on, And set the hooks on your second rod, Otherwise the pike will swollow the whole lot

That to me would be a nightmare situation. I have never liked the idea of multiple rods in use, especially for pike. BUT, if an experienced angler is confident in what he/she is doing and can cope with the situation then all is good.

I think the problem arises when somebody new to pike fishing thinks along the lines of carp fishing and sets up multiple rods. They then find themselves in the above situation unable to do anything about it. It sends shivers down my spine and horrible thoughts running through my mind thinking about the consequences. pale

I have been known on the odd ocassion to take a little 3mt whip with to pass the time between pike bites. Sounds contradictory on my behalf I know but much easier to control by yanking the 6ft (max) of 4lb line, tiny float and hook with a single maggot on out of the edge than worrying about a second run at the same time as I'm reeling one in.
Bet thats good fun lefty, I will have a go at catching my own live baits with a whip,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Anybody piking or even catching? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody piking or even catching?

Post  Lefty on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:50 pm

But I don't use it for catching livebaits on, honest, Mr Bailiff What a Face
Lefty
Lefty

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 50
Location : Cadeby

Back to top Go down

Anybody piking or even catching? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody piking or even catching?

Post  paddy pike on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Lefty wrote:But I don't use it for catching livebaits on, honest, Mr Bailiff What a Face
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Anybody piking or even catching? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody piking or even catching?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum