just when you thought............

Go down

just when you thought............ Empty just when you thought............

Post  stubbo on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:38 pm

been out this morning early 5 oclock start with my mate roy 1st session on the pike this year frost on the ground on the m6 north bound lancaster water.The session started well right from the off pike about 5lb followed by 7lb 4lb 3lb really enjoying the moment off catching a few pike.The bites dried up for the next couple of hours thought about moving but the carp lads where dug in like ticks so no pegs available really. Decided to pull in the float rods and opt to fish at range swaped the small smelt baits for half makrell and herring dyed red fished them about 65 yards out towards a island over hang.The first run came about a hour later a good fast run line coiling off struck into it you now the feeling i thought i had snagged up then the snag started to move really slowly at first you just know youve got something special it stayed deep then it started to come towards me at this moment i could not do anything with it .By this time i had played the fish for about five minutes then just when you thought youve cracked it ............the line just went slack talk about gutted me and my mate just staired at the water never even got to see the fish probably my biggest fish in my life by the way got the hooks back and the bait. Dont think i did anything wrong it was just one of those days which you cant explain I AM ONE GUTTED MAN
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

just when you thought............ Empty Re: just when you thought............

Post  tootall on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:45 pm

horrible feeling. had it a few times when u just know whats on the end is special but for whatever reason it breaks free... gutted for u mate.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:01 am

I had a session a few weeks back in a lake that apparently holds pike to mid twenties. Anyway, cast out into about 4ft of water. After 20mins the float started to bob and then laid flat indicating a drop back. I took in the now slack line, leaned into it and it started to move off in the other direction. Good bend in the rod then I had to duck as a Fox deadbait pencil with wire trace and a hook came whizzing past my ear Shocked

It felt a good sized fish too.

The bait had disappeared so I quickly got another half herring on and back out it went to the same spot. Never had another bite all day Sad

So don't worry stubbo, it's not just you it happens to. I must admit, it's good to know you've not left a bait with hooks in the water though, isn't it?
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm

wish i could have got alook at the fish ..... never mind will be going back to have a go my be the baits were on the big side just trying to avoid the jacks the place is full off them getting runs on small smelts getting pestered by the jacks Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

i wonder if i used a small jack pike as bait would tempt the bigger pike in the lake as the lake is full of them so they are a natrual bait ..........anybody used a pike as bait..... Suspect
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 pm

I'd say give it a go, there's nothing really that beats it. The big girls will be used to nailing some of the smaller jacks as part of their natural diet. It's the perfect bait and to be honest, not many people use jacks so you might have an advantage!!
Grizzly
Grizzly

http://www.mdpestservices.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 pm

i will have word with the bailiff to see if i was allowed to ues one..........easy to catch on a small spinner Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 pm

I was given a half a dozen 8 to 10 inch pike once. Used them in a couple hours. Nothing big, only jacks, but they didn't stay in the water long.

Andy albino

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

is there any where you can buy pike deadbaits ........ Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Not seen them anywhere.

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 am

stubbo wrote:is there any where you can buy pike deadbaits ........ Very Happy

Erics in Leeds used to do them, not sure if they still do.....
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  Grizzly on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 am

Just called them and they no longer do jacks, in fact they said they're really quite hard to get hold of now. You should be able to get them online though.
Grizzly
Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Used them in the past and had some top results, We used to buy them from the gun & fish shop in formby, But when they closed you just could not get them for love nor money, Then in the 80s i baught a pack from a shop in leeds {Could have been the same shop Grizzly But i would'nt know} as i was driving through, Then the next time i was in the area i could'nt even find the shop, I have caught and used them as live bait, Also with good results, And if you dont catch you can take the hook out and let it go,
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum