PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

braid breaking strain

+4
stubbo
tootall
Andy Macfarlane
pikebob
8 posters

Go down

braid breaking strain Empty braid breaking strain

Post  pikebob Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 pm

what is the best power pro braid for ledgering pike 50lb/65lb my normal water has a few deep drop offs and dont want it to fray like cotton cheers

pikebob

Back to top Go down

braid breaking strain Empty Re: braid breaking strain

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Use 18lb mono and float/leger rigs in that case. Braid and drop-offs don't go together.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  pikebob Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:32 pm

thanks very much andy i thought that but was not sure cheers again

pikebob

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:09 pm

unless you can lift the rod tip enough to get over the drop off then like andy says use mono.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:44 pm

or use a polaris locking float mate to fish over the dropp offmate if not to far away i know this is not ledgering but you can use braid
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

What happens if you have to play an angry pike near the drop-off?? A float-leger rig on braid isn't going to help you then.

You could ruin the integrity of a large section of braid, as it rubs along the drop-off at all angles, which is an expensive loss when you have to cut back to fresh braid, which also ruins the fill level of your spool, which affects your casting distance. Losing a large chunk of braid is expensive too. Worse still, lose the fish altogether, trailing a length of braid behind it.

Best just use mono for drop-offs. 100 yards of fresh 18lb Sensor doesn't cost much. Besides, you should have a spare spool filled with mono anyway.

Going out with braid alone for all eventualities is presumptuous.

There are all kinds of hazards out there and if you don't know the terrain, you're taking risks. It only takes a sunken shopping-trolley, car, bike, rock, mussel bed etc. to ruin your day.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:What happens if you have to play an angry pike near the drop-off?? A float-leger rig on braid isn't going to help you then.

You could ruin the integrity of a large section of braid, as it rubs along the drop-off at all angles, which is an expensive loss when you have to cut back to fresh braid, which also ruins the fill level of your spool, which affects your casting distance. Losing a large chunk of braid is expensive too. Worse still, lose the fish altogether, trailing a length of braid behind it.

Best just use mono for drop-offs. 100 yards of fresh 18lb Sensor doesn't cost much. Besides, you should have a spare spool filled with mono anyway.

There are all kinds of hazards out there and if you don't know the terrain, you're taking risks. It only takes a sunken shopping-trolley, car, bike, rock, mussel bed etc. to ruin your day.
yes know what you mean andy not cheap stuff that braid but say if you turn up at a venue with just braid its a option mate it does get you over the dropp off and will save you snapping off
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:33 pm

stubbo wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:What happens if you have to play an angry pike near the drop-off?? A float-leger rig on braid isn't going to help you then.

yes know what you mean andy not cheap stuff that braid but say if you turn up at a venue with just braid its a option mate it does get you over the dropp off and will save you snapping off
good point Andy, Stubbo.
as yet i have never been snapped off with braid, and iv'e hooked some very unusual debree Smile
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:49 pm

esoxjeff wrote:
stubbo wrote:

good point Andy, Stubbo.
as yet i have never been snapped off with braid, and iv'e hooked some very unusual debree Smile
been snapped once at the swivel s...te fox braid the early stuff my mate caught the very same pike about half an hour later with my trebles in it lucky or what
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:51 pm

stubbo wrote:
esoxjeff wrote:
stubbo wrote:

good point Andy, Stubbo.
been snapped once at the swivel s...te fox braid the early stuff my mate caught the very same pike about half an hour later with my trebles in it lucky or what
very lucky, then thats a good part of piking Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  pete777 Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 pm

stubbo wrote:or use a polaris locking float mate to fish over the dropp offmate if not to far away i know this is not ledgering but you can use braid
dont use a polaris with braid,cuts through em like butter,expensive at £3-50

pete777

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 pm

pete777 wrote:
stubbo wrote:or use a polaris locking float mate to fish over the dropp offmate if not to far away i know this is not ledgering but you can use braid
not lost one yet mate not really any sharp edges on them they say it does,nt damage your line in any way on the packit
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  pete777 Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 pm

on the new packerts ,says dont use braid

pete777

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 pm

stubbo wrote:yes know what you mean andy not cheap stuff that braid but say if you turn up at a venue with just braid its a option mate it does get you over the dropp off and will save you snapping off

How does it save you snapping off?

What does the float do when a pike is towing your line all over the place??

OK, you can cast safely but that's all you can do.

If you turn up at a venue with braid only, you haven't filled your spare spools with mono and you're making the very mistake I already pointed out.

Lazy and irresponsible IMO.

Braid is great but to imagine it's fine for anywhere and a float is going to make all OK, is just being obstinate for the sake of using braid only.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 am

Andy Macfarlane (Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 pm) wrote:
stubbo wrote:yes know what you mean andy not cheap stuff that braid but say if you turn up at a venue with just braid its a option mate it does get you over the dropp off and will save you snapping off

How does it save you snapping off?

What does the float do when a pike is towing your line all over the place??

OK, you can cast safely but that's all you can do.

If you turn up at a venue with braid only, you haven't filled your spare spools with mono and you're making the very mistake I already pointed out.

Lazy and irresponsible IMO.

Braid is great but to imagine it's fine for anywhere and a float is going to make all OK, is just being obstinate for the sake of using braid only.
You want to try telling the locals around here andy, They turn up at some waters where mono is going to be the best line to use, And every spool they carry are full of braid, All the same weight as well, Whats that all about ? But then tey struggle and allways end up on pods with bleepers, And some of the resavoirs we fish have walls submerged and further out you might just hook a roof or chimny pot, They seem to think braid is the be all and end all, I use the Polaris floats myself, Good solid piece of kit, And although they work best with mono i have not had any problems with them when using braid, But it just depends where you are fishing i suppose
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 am

stubbo wrote:
pete777 wrote:
not lost one yet mate not really any sharp edges on them they say it does,nt damage your line in any way on the packit

Hee-hehe...misunderstanding there. The braid cuts through the float, not the other way about.

What braid are you getting at £3.50???

geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 am

thing its the floats at £3.50
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 pm

nickcarpy wrote:thing its the floats at £3.50
if its the braid i'll ave some please lol!
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down