what can the rod handle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what can the rod handle

Post  Alex Makk on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:05 pm

been to nott's pac talk yesterday...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...... guest speakers was waterwolf lures......... brilliant fella's and well they brought plenty of lures........ but i seemed to have picked one up that heavier than my quoted casting weight..... my rod is a shimano vengance 8ft 14-40g and the lure weights 48g.........

would i still be able to use the lure scratch scratch or will i get a gaurenteed crack off.No No

cheers
Alex,
AKA.MrMakk
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  JAYZEE28 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 pm

I think you'll be able to tell when you put the lure on before you cast if the rod feels overloaded, if it does probably best not to use it or just gentle casts. My ugly stick spinning rod is rated 30-60g but if I put anything near the top end of the range on it feels like it is overloaded so I tend to take it easy when casting the heavier lures. I am not sure I trust how accurate the weight ratings are on the cheaper rods like mine.
avatar
JAYZEE28

Posts : 24
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 42
Location : Leicester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:58 am

8 grams won't overload your rod and cracking off is down to your casting technique and the braid you're using. Not the rod rating or a slightly overweight lure.

Casting weights are little more than a guide.

Seriously, 8 grams is practically nothing. Just don't aim for the horizon and try to employ a smooth casting technique.

Besides, short accurate casts to a likely spot will catch you more fish than whacking lures for miles into open water and hoping you'll catch fish by covering lots of water.
avatar
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  esoxjeff on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:8 grams won't overload your rod and cracking off is down to your casting technique and the braid you're using. Not the rod rating or a slightly overweight lure.

Casting weights are little more than a guide.

Seriously, 8 grams is practically nothing. Just don't aim for the horizon and try to employ a smooth casting technique.

Besides, short accurate casts to a likely spot will catch you more fish than whacking lures for miles into open water and hoping you'll catch fish by covering lots of water.

well put Andy, good technique will and does ,allways prevail, i should know,thats my job. Very Happy
avatar
esoxjeff

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2008-09-09
Location : Doncaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  esoxjeff on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 pm

esoxjeff wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:8 grams won't overload your rod and cracking off is down to your casting technique and the braid you're using. Not the rod rating or a slightly overweight lure.

Casting weights are little more than a guide.

Seriously, 8 grams is practically nothing. Just don't aim for the horizon and try to employ a smooth casting technique.

Besides, short accurate casts to a likely spot will catch you more fish than whacking lures for miles into open water and hoping you'll catch fish by covering lots of water.

well put Andy, good technique will and does ,allways prevail, i should know,thats my job. Very Happy
have i spelt the "red" word correct. Rolling Eyes mental note:must buy a dictionary Rolling Eyes
avatar
esoxjeff

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2008-09-09
Location : Doncaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  adie1200 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:42 pm

It is now lol! lol! lol!
avatar
adie1200
Admin

Posts : 3443
Join date : 2008-11-05
Age : 60
Location : Doncaster

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  esoxjeff on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:45 pm

adie1200 wrote:It is now lol! lol! lol!

Your a star Adie. Very Happy
avatar
esoxjeff

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2008-09-09
Location : Doncaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  esoxjeff on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm

you should see the problems i have with antidisestablishmentarianism, never sure if it's right or not Very Happy Very Happy
avatar
esoxjeff

Posts : 1173
Join date : 2008-09-09
Location : Doncaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  noodle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:46 pm

MrMakk wrote:been to nott's pac talk yesterday...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...... guest speakers was waterwolf lures......... brilliant fella's and well they brought plenty of lures........ but i seemed to have picked one up that heavier than my quoted casting weight..... my rod is a shimano vengance 8ft 14-40g and the lure weights 48g.........

would i still be able to use the lure scratch scratch or will i get a gaurenteed crack off.No No

cheers
Alex,
AKA.MrMakk

oi can i see the lure i know there was a pic somwhere and apparently its one of very few around...

need a pic please Wink
avatar
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 42
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Alex Makk on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 pm



ere you go noodle,

can't remember price or lure name itself,as i had brought quiet a few off him
Archie was saying that it is one of a few around,

if i can get his contact details i will dig out some more info on the lure,
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  noodle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 pm

thought it looked like these


Very Happy
cheers
avatar
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 42
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Alex Makk on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm

noodle wrote:thought it looked like these


Very Happy
cheers
why what gives?????????? Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Alex Makk on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 pm

here is better pick and finer wire hooks, Gamasku sz 2's

avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  noodle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 pm

i bought a lot of lures at wholesale price and there are a few of those in the only place id seen them was the pic you had posted

a few other nice ones should be mixed in, well nice for mass produced plastic
avatar
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 42
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Alex Makk on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

noodle wrote:i bought a lot of lures at wholesale price and there are a few of those in the only place id seen them was the pic you had posted

a few other nice ones should be mixed in, well nice for mass produced plastic

so it isn't one of a select few???????? Bugger! Sad Sad Sad Sad
avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  noodle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 pm

MrMakk wrote:
noodle wrote:i bought a lot of lures at wholesale price and there are a few of those in the only place id seen them was the pic you had posted

a few other nice ones should be mixed in, well nice for mass produced plastic

so it isn't one of a select few???????? Bugger! Sad Sad Sad Sad

hang fire bear in mind what ive said about how many ive seen

you want any more Laughing
avatar
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 42
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Alex Makk on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 pm

noodle wrote:
MrMakk wrote:
noodle wrote:i bought a lot of lures at wholesale price and there are a few of those in the only place id seen them was the pic you had posted

a few other nice ones should be mixed in, well nice for mass produced plastic

so it isn't one of a select few???????? Bugger! Sad Sad Sad Sad

hang fire bear in mind what ive said about how many ive seen

you want any more Laughing

dont get it, fill me in ??????

avatar
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 25
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  noodle on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 pm

they are not that common is where im coming from ive seen similar but not quite the same. out of the lures ive bought i think there are 4 of those in with them

avatar
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 42
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  paddy pike on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:45 pm

They look the dogs them lures, Must be expencive if they are that rare or hard to get hold of, I was asking my mate Eddie about casting weight, And he said if the lure is over the specified casting weight, Then he would just miss out threading his line through the last eye, As he believes this strengthens the test curve of the rod, But he also said he would not cast as far Shocked
avatar
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 63
Location : Southport

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:12 am

paddy pike wrote:They look the dogs them lures, Must be expencive if they are that rare or hard to get hold of, I was asking my mate Eddie about casting weight, And he said if the lure is over the specified casting weight, Then he would just miss out threading his line through the last eye, As he believes this strengthens the test curve of the rod, But he also said he would not cast as far Shocked

It doesn't strengthen anything. It might be stiffer, with a higher test curve but that's got zero to do with strength. Test curve relates to casting weight and that's with a tip included. Missing a bit off the top doesn't make it stronger

Tell Eddie a rod is designed and fired round a mandrel to certain tolerances and just because he's missing an eye out, he's not solving anything. He's just fishing badly.

Missing an eye out....that's magic.
avatar
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what can the rod handle

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum