The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  benacre on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Decided to try this out today on my river and was successful, I found a single treble worked fine hooking the fish in the mouth. Woo hoo! Roll on 2011.


Last edited by benacre on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
benacre
benacre

Posts : 17
Join date : 2010-12-21
Location : Beccles Suffolk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  paddy pike on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Well in mateThe Kebab Rig works for me. 3
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Wonderful that the rig worked by what's so good about hooking fish in the scissors? I hear this banded about like a badge of honour an it makes no sense to me at all.

"It was neatly hooked in the scissors" or something to that effect. I had a barney with Leon Roskilly about his use of circles and how he always hooked his pike in the scissors but he couldn't explain to me why hooking a fish by the very mechanism it uses to operate it's jaws is a good thing.

I can think of places I'd rather hook a pike and the scissors isn't one of them.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  paddy pike on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Wonderful that the rig worked by what's so good about hooking fish in the scissors? I hear this banded about like a badge of honour an it makes no sense to me at all.

"It was neatly hooked in the scissors" or something to that effect. I had a barney with Leon Roskilly about his use of circles and how he always hooked his pike in the scissors but he couldn't explain to me why hooking a fish by the very mechanism it uses to operate it's jaws is a good thing.

I can think of places I'd rather hook a pike and the scissors isn't one of them.
Never thought of it like this Andy, But yes i always try and get a hook in the lip, Just means i did'nt leave it to long i think, Good point though
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:15 pm

some times it is in the lap of the gods mate no matter how early you strike had a few in the scissors mate and hit the fish as early as i can Very Happy these picture that you see in the mags with the pike caught on lures , plugs ..,,seem to be caught in the scissors a lot off them too Smile
stubbo
stubbo

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2010-01-14
Age : 56
Location : Warrington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  paddy pike on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:23 pm

stubbo wrote: some times it is in the lap of the gods mate no matter how early you strike had a few in the scissors mate and hit the fish as early as i can Very Happy these picture that you see in the mags with the pike caught on lures , plugs ..,,seem to be caught in the scissors a lot off them too Smile
Dead baits allways seem to be a front of the mouth shot, But like you say stubbo with lures it just depends on how the pike hits them, But i must addmit most seem to be across the middle of the mouth, I will have to start taking more notice,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  tootall on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:32 am

scissors = less damage to teeth i guess?!?

and we all know how easy pike can damage their teeth and how easily that can happen with a front of mouth hook up.

only ever had a couple in the scissors myself and agree that its not necassarily a good thing to aim for.

tootall
tootall

Posts : 1340
Join date : 2009-01-29
Age : 42
Location : Beverley, East Yorkshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 am

stubbo wrote: some times it is in the lap of the gods mate no matter how early you strike

Yea obviously you can't help it but to actually aim for that part (re: circles and kebabs) seems mad to me. Seems a little callous to me. I know that pike do lose teeth from time to time also but they still have plenty more if they lose one or two. Even if they lose all the big jaggy numbers round the rim of the jaw, it's got to be better that knackereing the jaw itself.

Keep an eye open and take a mental note from now on. You'll see/hear the 'hooked in the scissors' thing regularly, like it's a job well done. Never did get it myself.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  paddy pike on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Just been talking to my brother PJ, He said the only time he liked hooking a pike in the scissors is when he's fishing for bream and a jack took the maggot, He only caught the Pike because it was hooked in the scissors and could not chomp through his mono line
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Yea but that's a fluke though isn't it? Anyone catching a nice pike on standard tackle with a light mono hooklength would probably rather have a hook in the scissors but then the fight would apply far less pressure on the fish. Coarse tackle with lighter hooklengths couldn't bully a pike like a 3lb TC rod with 50lb braid.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  paddy pike on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 pm

I was talking to the Piking Pirate today, He said {Like you said andy} Thats the last place you want the treble to hook the Pike, Its allmost as bad as being really deep hooked,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 65
Location : Southport

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:25 am

I feel vindicated. I was looking for this subject that had arisen elsewhere but found this old thread.

If it's good enough for Burton, it's good enough for me, except I always wash the weetabix off the sides of my mouth but that's the only difference.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Cobblemaster on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I believe it came from trout fishing, or at least thats where I heard it. The reason it was best to hook a trout in the scissors is because fly fishing is a solitary single hook and hooking a trout just on the lip itself can be easily lost. If you hook a fish well "in the scissors" then its greatly increases chances of not losing it. It also does less damage to a trout as the hook will be in a thin fleshy part between scissors which is alot better than its more delicate mouth. Pike fishing is muckle big treble hooks and a pikes mouth is all bone anyway so I dont think it will make much difference where you hook a pike as long as due care is taken.


sunny
Cobblemaster
Cobblemaster

Posts : 25
Join date : 2011-10-27
Location : Bannockburn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Lamby78 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Where to hook a pike where not to hook a pike please i bet the pike would rather not be hooked at all makes me laugh when i hear people talking like this if you were that concerned you wouldnt fish for them in the first place i dont think i would want to have a piece of metal pulled through my mouth full stop as for aiming unless you have underwater vision i think all we can do is strike as early as possible but what do i know the guy telling us about a pike kebab not where to hook a pike start your own thread if you want to discuss this people jumping on threads with negativity please cheer up he was never whooping and cheering because hed hooked it in the scissors he was letting us know where it was hooked the truth is fished would be left alone than fish for at all if people are so ethical burn your rods as the title reads Kebab Rig Works For Me that being him
Lamby78
Lamby78

Posts : 64
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Well why did he mention that he hooked it in the scissors then if it wasn't a talking point or a plus in his eyes? He mentioned it so he must have thought it had some merit. If it didn't matter to him, he wouldn't have mentioned it.

It should also be mentioned that one of the 'plus points' in using the kebab rig is that it almost always hooks the pike in the scissors. I just want to know what is so smart about designing a rig that aims to do such a thing.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty kebab rig works for me

Post  doug6364 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 pm

ive tried this rig a few times lately, but as yet, ive still not had a take on it so i cant honesly say if it works or not.

i like the idea of releasing all the oils and smells into the water and a single would be easy to unhook. i will persevere with it.
doug6364
doug6364

Posts : 689
Join date : 2011-11-29
Age : 55
Location : suffolk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  matt859 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:03 pm

I dont think that the kebab rig/hair rigged treble or single or whatever it is called nowadays was specifically designed to hook a fish in the scissors. Any bait with a hook in it will get the fish somewhere in the mouth and that is about it really. I know Carp anglers will always Carp on (pun intended) about a correctly tied hair rig dropping the hook in the middle of the bottom lip every time, now I dont particularly care if its in the bottom lip as long as its in the mouth and then eventually in my net.

Once a baited hook is in the water all we can do as anglers to ensure that a pike is not deeply hooked is to strike as soon as possible, in the hope that the hooks are in the front part of the mouth.
matt859
matt859

Posts : 478
Join date : 2011-12-20
Age : 54
Location : rugby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  daveb on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:07 pm

"I just want to know what is so smart about designing a rig that aims to do such a thing."

Because Mick Brown designed it and he has over 40 years pike fishing experience and tackle development thus, he knows more than you...

Fact.
daveb
daveb

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-30
Location : Cheshire, UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Lamby78 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Well why did he mention that he hooked it in the scissors then if it wasn't a talking point or a plus in his eyes? He mentioned it so he must have thought it had some merit. If it didn't matter to him, he wouldn't have mentioned it.

It should also be mentioned that one of the 'plus points' in using the kebab rig is that it almost always hooks the pike in the scissors. I just want to know what is so smart about designing a rig that aims to do such a thing.
Maybe because thats where he hooked the fish i take it you have never hooked a Pike in the scissors by your reaction or is it just that you wouldnt post it to ruin your perfect fishing persona as for the Kebab rig Mick Brown is a fan of it but what does he know Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Lamby78
Lamby78

Posts : 64
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 pm

daveb wrote:"I just want to know what is so smart about designing a rig that aims to do such a thing."

Because Mick Brown designed it and he has over 40 years pike fishing experience and tackle development thus, he knows more than you...

Fact.

What's a fact?

Mick Brown didn't design the kebab rig for a start, so how about getting that 'fact' right for kickers. He might have given the rig the name but it's actually a pretty standard hair-rig, no matter how you wish to dress it up and Mick Brown didn't invent hair-rigs. It's a carp rig, so let's not pretend Mick Brown invented anything other than the name on the packet.

If any predator anglers are responsible for redeveloping the hair-rig, it was more likely Zander anglers who were doing it before any pikers brought the idea to the table.

Also, Mick Brown is a tackle consultant. He has to 'invent' new ideas and try out different methods to keep himself in a job. Just because he endorses a product, that doesn't necessarily mean he's out using it all the time or that he had anything to do with it's development. He's endorsed 100s of rigs, lures, methods, bits of tackle, baits and all manner of fishing tackle. Do you actually believe he's out using everything he's put his name to? He's a walking, talking, brand-name and the 'kebab rig' is just something he put his name to when a very unoriginal rig was applied to pike fishing.

Good for him for having the savvy to get in there.

Just as an instance, whilst working as a tackle consultant for a well known tackle company, Mick Brown endorsed various line clips for the same indicator and the one that is now in use was developed by Mark Houghton. Unless you knew how that line-clip came to be, you could be forgiven for assuming that Mick Brown invented it, because he'd been seen using it and endorsing it, in it's development and production stages, just like the 'kebab rig'. Being seen to use something and give it a thumbs up does not make that person the inventor

So let's clear something up here. You mistakenly assumed he invented said rig. You also wrongly assumed that Mick Brown needs you to defend him, when I never even mentioned his name. You just imagined I had to be talking about Mick Brown because of your assumption about who invented what.

Don't assume to know what I think about Mick Brown. There are only a few well-known pikers I genuinely admire and I can assure you, Mick Brown is one of them.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Posts : 1879
Join date : 2008-08-13
Location : Glasgow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  noodle on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:19 am

Lamby78 wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Well why did he mention that he hooked it in the scissors then if it wasn't a talking point or a plus in his eyes? He mentioned it so he must have thought it had some merit. If it didn't matter to him, he wouldn't have mentioned it.

It should also be mentioned that one of the 'plus points' in using the kebab rig is that it almost always hooks the pike in the scissors. I just want to know what is so smart about designing a rig that aims to do such a thing.
Maybe because thats where he hooked the fish i take it you have never hooked a Pike in the scissors by your reaction or is it just that you wouldnt post it to ruin your perfect fishing persona as for the Kebab rig Mick Brown is a fan of it but what does he know Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

and now he works for rapala what are the odds on him loving lures now? as oppsed to dynamite baits...

i like mick though and when you actualy read into the kebab rig you may discover the main point rather than the second and third hand crap spouted about it. it was not a pike rig but a way to fish for cats with fish baits and prebaiting tactics. in fact the original stuff pointed out just how many pike were caught on pellets etc.

Andy how many times have you had to pop a jaw back into place after hooking a pike in the scissors?
and the same for hook ups on the roof or lower jaw... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
noodle
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 44
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Lamby78 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:09 am

He hasn't he only hooks in the lips lol cheers
Lamby78
Lamby78

Posts : 64
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  noodle on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Lamby78 wrote:He hasn't he only hooks in the lips lol cheers
seei think its likely to be a few which will be one of the reasons he isnt fond of hook ups like that
noodle
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 44
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Lamby78 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:20 pm

His public persona would never let us know Noodle as Xmas is coming i can only describe him as the mesia himself lord Jesus christ
Lamby78
Lamby78

Posts : 64
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  matt859 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:23 pm

what! hes a baby that lives with animals do you mean Very Happy
matt859
matt859

Posts : 478
Join date : 2011-12-20
Age : 54
Location : rugby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Kebab Rig works for me. Empty Re: The Kebab Rig works for me.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum