strike or not to strike

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

strike or not to strike Empty strike or not to strike

Post  andy ely on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:38 pm

at what piont do you strike into a pike?
i have been told to wait for about 3mins after the bait has been taken to let the fish turn the bait so the hooks set properly but this to me sounds like a deeply
hooked fish which i dont want to do.
as i havent caught a pike( until next satureday Laughing)

Last edited by andy ely on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

andy ely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

strike or not to strike Empty Re: strike or not to strike

Post  deadbait on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:49 pm

you need to hit runs as soon as they happen at the most ill leave mine 5 seconds if its quite a big bait after 3 mins it woulds have both trebles really deep Mad
deadbait
deadbait

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:58 pm

Deadbait is right Wink

Waiting 3 minutes would see a lot of deep hooked pike leading to a lot of deaths Twisted Evil

Strike as soon as you can mate its better to miss the odd one than have a deep hook pike Wink

Last edited by adie1200 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  andy ely on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:17 pm

thanks lads Very Happy
you have confirmed what i thought Laughing
but i thought i would check with the experts first Idea
like you two have said i would rather lose a fish than damage
one and kill it

andy ely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen abbott on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Andy
Don't strike hard when you get a run, just try and pull into them.

stephen abbott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Waiting for 3 minutes for the pike to turn the bait is thinking from the dark ages mate, so I'm SOOOOO glad you asked. Basically, if you're getting a run, the fish has the bait and probably both trebles across it's mouth, so there's no need to wait for anything.

Like Stephen says too, you often don't have to strike at all. Striking suggests winding down and sweeping the rod back quickly when very often, the simple act of applying pressure, with your hand, to the rotating spool (if the reel is a bait-runner) or just closing the bail-arm (if fishing open-bail-arm style) is enough to set the hooks. Just mind that you have the drag set accordingly if fishing open bail-arm style. If the drag is too tight and you flip the bail-arm when the fish is zooming off at 20+ mph, you'll bust your line and possibly your rod too. If you're new to pike fishing I'd set the drag to give fairly easily, until you have a better feel for when it's safe to close the bail-arm while the fish is in motion.

Not all runs are screamers though. Some runs are very slow indeed, so striking in the normal sense of the term can be applied. Some runs are screamers though, so you have to set the hooks as described in the previous paragraph.

Whatever you do though, don't hang around. Waiting for second runs or waiting for the pike to turn the bait has been frowned upon for decades now.

I'd suggest you go pike fishing with someone that knows what they're doing and let them show you how it's done, rather than trying to learn by yourself.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andy ely on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 pm

thanks andy
thats the reason i asked the qestion.
i am going with my brother inlaw and he has not fished for pike for 20yrs or so, he says he used to have a fag
when he got a run and then stike which sounds barbarick to me Evil or Very Mad No .
i will show him this and try to change his ways.
thanks again mate.

andy ely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Waiting for 3 minutes for the pike to turn the bait is thinking from the dark ages mate, so I'm SOOOOO glad you asked. Basically, if you're getting a run, the fish has the bait and probably both trebles across it's mouth, so there's no need to wait for anything.

Like Stephen says too, you often don't have to strike at all. Striking suggests winding down and sweeping the rod back quickly when very often, the simple act of applying pressure, with your hand, to the rotating spool (if the reel is a bait-runner) or just closing the bail-arm (if fishing open-bail-arm style) is enough to set the hooks. Just mind that you have the drag set accordingly if fishing open bail-arm style. If the drag is too tight and you flip the bail-arm when the fish is zooming off at 20+ mph, you'll bust your line and possibly your rod too. If you're new to pike fishing I'd set the drag to give fairly easily, until you have a better feel for when it's safe to close the bail-arm while the fish is in motion.

Not all runs are screamers though. Some runs are very slow indeed, so striking in the normal sense of the term can be applied. Some runs are screamers though, so you have to set the hooks as described in the previous paragraph.

Whatever you do though, don't hang around. Waiting for second runs or waiting for the pike to turn the bait has been frowned upon for decades now.

I'd suggest you go pike fishing with someone that knows what they're doing and let them show you how it's done, rather than trying to learn by yourself.
met few of them pikers living in the dark ages andy they just wont change mate Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:33 am

My take is basically hit a "run" straight away, my experience tells me that Pike will often sit there and munch on the bait before even moving, to wait 3 minutes is nothing but daft imo.

I will hit a take within 10 seconds, granted I have lost a few but rather that than having to try and get the hooks from it's gut.

And by "hit it" I mean wind down, lowering the rod toward the fish, to feel the weight of the fish, then just lift the rod firmly into it, not a strike as such, just lift the rod up in a firm and steady motion to set the hooks. A bit like carping, like when you get a run, you just lift the rod, similar to that really, just wind down any slack, you feel there is a fish there, just lift the rod and apply pressure.

Pikey_Mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:47 am

andy ely wrote:thanks andy
thats the reason i asked the qestion.
i am going with my brother inlaw and he has not fished for pike for 20yrs or so, he says he used to have a fag
when he got a run and then stike which sounds barbarick to me Evil or Very Mad No .
i will show him this and try to change his ways.
thanks again mate.

just tell your brother in law striaght not to leave it because if he dose he is a (use which ever language required here ) if he still insists on leaving it i will personally and with out a moments hesitation send adie round to sort him out.

just a question how many pike has your brother in law caught in the last 20 yrs because i can tell you that the amount of pike that these people are telling you not to leave it could bury your brother in law ?
Chances are that when that float or buzzer gose that pike has a treble in it's mouth and she is ready .if left the joy of hooking her will never be felt by anyone again ?
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  andy ely on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:45 am

spoken like a true yorkshire man kell Very Happy . will do that.
when are you free adie lol! lol! lol! lol!
i think the last time he caught one was about mid 80s with the rest of his caveman mates Laughing

andy ely

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:14 pm

dont worry i'm giving him a shoulder massage as we speak wafting him with a towel steam is blowing from his ears.
stood here like a god legs apart and as strong as american red WOODS .
arms like popeye.
tell your brother in law and all his mates adies ready bring it on.

ADIE GET YOUR COAT I'M OFF MATE ? lol!
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:49 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! Ready as soon as our lass releases me from the ironing and washing up i will be there lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:12 pm

adie that is not the image i am trying to build for you. don't tell them about the pink pinny .
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Yer but did i mention i use a anvil as a iron lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm

i all ways strike straight away rather loose it than possibly deep hook the pike
tackle tart
tackle tart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:17 pm

adie1200 wrote:Yer but did i mention i use a anvil as a iron lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

yes yes yes adie now you are with the program and they are not cute teddy bears but roaring lions in disguise on your jimjams lmao Very Happy
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:33 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm

tackle tart wrote:i all ways strike straight away rather loose it than possibly deep hook the pike
good advice fella Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BigSithepikeangler on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 pm

count to 3, wind down strike
BigSithepikeangler
BigSithepikeangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:41 pm

i tend to wind down set a bend in the rod and just hang on....if they come off..so be it Smile
i don't miss many scratch can't think when i last pulled out of a fish.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 am

i leave mine for about 3-5secs, slowly wind down and tighten up, then hit it......

never ever leave it for a lengthy time or you wont be seeing your trebles again.. Twisted Evil
newie2010
newie2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am

It's not always like that though is it? I've had fire-starting runs with zero intention of stopping until the reel is empty. No winding down there and letting the rod take the strain there? All you can do is try and apply some pressure by slowing the spool down and hoping the pike turns or slows to a controllable pace.

Twice I've had a fish on (both the same day, minutes apart and the same rod, to the same spot....same fish?....doubtful after slowing it once already) where I was merely a spectator. I had the rod up and the line was peeling off at full tilt and all I could do was try and adjust the drag according the flex on my rod. I only gave more line once the rod was almost locked up completely. I didn't dare to try and stop anything. I'm 100% certain something would have broken, be it the reel, the rod or the line, tackle....whatever.

Both times I lost whatever they were (I wouldn't like to hazard a guess) and and once the rig came back with pike skin from the mouth area on one of the trebles, which was opened up a fair bit. Size 4 VMC too.

It's probably fair to say, I don't get that tench fishing.... Neutral
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm

esoxjeff wrote:i tend to wind down set a bend in the rod and just hang on....if they come off..so be it Smile
i don't miss many scratch can't think when i last pulled out of a fish.
when i went out last weekend with our kid he had 24 runs he hit them stright away resulted in just 6 fish even fined down his rigs to no avail .YES he counted his runs Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 am

This reminds me of Cellars fish-in, I had about a dozen runs (as did kell i believe) but missed every one. Local advice was that the pike in there were so finiky that you could leave it at least a good minute before the strike...

...I didn't like that idea and never have, so I lost fish by striking early...but i'd rather do that than feel guilty for killing pike by deep hooking etc.

Cool

tootall
tootall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next