Pre-baiting techniques

Go down

Pre-baiting techniques Empty Pre-baiting techniques

Post  CRIB on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 am

I have never tried pre-baiting for pike to try to get larger pike into the area & move the jacks out.
Do you apply bait to an area of the lake when you end the session, such as scattering sprats along the margins etc or do you need to introduce a bait that you would be using on the rigs.
Any suggestions would be welcome Smile
CRIB
CRIB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-baiting techniques Empty Re: Pre-baiting techniques

Post  tackle tart on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 am

it certainly will not move the jacks out it may draw more in but it will also draw bigger fish in.
you can pre bait in many ways whether its a lake or a river or drain and what you use is up to you
one thing that is important is to hopefully not let any one see you do this or your hard work could be undone .
another important point you may need to consider is , i remember reading an article on pre baiting for pike and in it they discussed pike swallowing the baits on the spot over a pre-baited area and may lead to deep hooking .i have to say from my own fishing over pre baited spots i,ve not experienced this personally ,this may have more to do with the amount of pre bait put in an area whether pike swallow the bait down on the spot.

You can pre-bait some days before fishing if you wish , or after fishing or you can feed on the day before you start .
there are various way you can pre-bait you can use whole or chopped baits to regulary feed an area,or you could make a pike ground bait to roll into balls and throw in your swim either before you start or over a period of time or make a pike slop that you can ladled in and draw fish up into your swim on a river or lake if you like!! , i myself pre-bait an area for a good few days before fishing it, this is mainly because i travel to do most of my predator fishing ..
a good idea if you have time is to take your left over baits and mince them up mix with ground bait add oils if you want to and roll into balls remembering to put a stone in them big enough to sink the ball ,as you,ll be freezing these in air tight bags and they will tend to float unless you do this .
these slowly release flavours into your swim over a short time hopefully attracting your prey .
if you fish rivers like i do, i tend to try and draw the silver fish into the area over a period
with just a standard ground bait once you,ve drawn the silver fish in the predators will not be far away .

i think there are no hard and fast rules to pre-baiting or what method or the amount you put in that will be decided by what you can afford or what you decide to use .

hope this helps

Last edited by tackle tart on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
tackle tart
tackle tart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-baiting techniques Empty Re: Prebaiting techniques

Post  CRIB on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Many thanks for the reply, gives me a great place to start from. I may move to another area of the lake which has an out of bounds area across from it & introduce bait as I leave or when no one about.
Will jack pike move about in numbers for food & are bigger pike more territorial & stay in a location if there is a food source of bait or small jacks available to them
CRIB
CRIB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

on my lake the bigger fish seem to be territorial....

ive pre-baited it and it didnt work...

pre-baited rivers and drains and ive caught and also failed..

i never pre-bait with half or whole fish, because i dont want to feed them, so i blend all my fish into a paste, that stinks and ouses blood and scent and use that.
newie2010
newie2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm not going to argue with anyone else's observations of prebaiting because an exact science it isn't.

Initially, I think it tends to draw more jacks in but if kept up to regular regime, the bigger fish definitely start moving in and the smaler fish will start to move out.

What you use is up to you. I'm pretty happy using chopped deads or heads from the fishmongers (mackerel and herring mostly) but I've also blended fish and made up crumb and scent mixes too. Both seem to work alright.

Have to suck it and see.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CRIB on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 am

Many thanks for all the inputs, will start my pre-bait campaign next week, will keep posts coming to the forum to see if I get any change to my catch pattern.
To date the statistics for the venue are 2 trips, 10 runs for 7 pike on the bank, the weights are all jacks but 4 of them were in the 9lb range so nearly there.
Cool Cool Cool
CRIB
CRIB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:00 pm

stick with it crib they,ll get bigger
tackle tart
tackle tart

View user profile

Back to top Go down