PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR

+2
tootall
raf1870
6 posters

Go down

SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR Empty SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR

Post  raf1870 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi

Has anyone ever tried this method and if so how do you go about making the rig up?

It has me intrigued and even though there are kebab rigs out there to buy off the shelf I would prefer to give this a go instead and see if I have any luck.

Cheers

Kebab Rig

raf1870

Back to top Go down

SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR Empty Re: SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR

Post  tootall Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:33 pm

The way i tend to do it is tie a 'D' ring type rig with a smallish rig ring on it...you'll probably find its easier to crimp than twist the wire for this. I then use a tag gun to fire a tagged bait thru the ring if that makes sense. If it doesnt i will try and put a pic up later.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR Empty Re: SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm

What is it you're trying to solve?
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm

I have the D Rings hooks already rigged up but I use them for the tagging method when I have a sturdy bait as find that the tags can easily shred their way through a softer bait.

Never really though of using them for making up a kebab rig though.

After having a closer look at the the pics on the link it looks like a 4'' or 5'' piece or carboflex with a plastic cover at the end of the hair.

Not sure if the wire is crimped to a swivel and then the plastic cover pushed over the top.

Once in place the hook is then pushed through the cover to basically fix it in place and then your bait, boilies etc threaded onto the wire trace?

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 pm

just use a bait flag to stop the tag pulling through the deadbait. Can't give them a massive chuck but will do a good 30-40 yrds safely without pulling through.

tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Will do that the next time I give the tagging method a go.

What about the hair rig via the link. How do you think this was made up?

Mick Brown - Kebab Rig

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:31 am

looks to me to be made up of the trace wire or strong braid. Just a simple crimped loop held on with a bit of elastic band.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:42 pm

i'v also always been intrigued with the kebab rig, the reason being it gives you a chance to introduce diferent baits, it's common knowledge pike will take water foul also water mamals, if you was to make your kebab rig up with sections of fish and chicken, do you think you would be able to eventually put out a rig with just chicken as the bait, I know it would probably only work if you used the method on the same water, also you could introduce meat, steak,liver, the options are endless, introducing poultry and beef would also open the door to all diferent types of presentation also, as anybody ever experimented with this idea......

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:33 pm

In a word, no. But I am open to the idea of this as I know other predatory fish like chub love a bit of steak / mince etc so i don't see why it wouldn't work on pike too.

Whether it would be more effective than using fish baits is debatable, but I reckon you should give it a go on a water you are confident on / get regular catches and compare the results Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 pm

tootall wrote:In a word, no. But I am open to the idea of this as I know other predatory fish like chub love a bit of steak / mince etc so i don't see why it wouldn't work on pike too.

Whether it would be more effective than using fish baits is debatable, but I reckon you should give it a go on a water you are confident on / get regular catches and compare the results Cool
Would you slowly introduce the bait mixed with fish baits on a kebab rig or would you just go all out with the alternative baits??

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:22 am

personally i would use one rod with meat and one with fish in an area you know there are pike and just see which one produces...

dont see the benefit of a mixed kebab myself. others may have different opinions?
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:19 pm

I don't see the point in kebab rigs, single rigs or hair-rigs for pike....period.

I completely fail to grasp what the problem is that needs solving.

Anyone care to explain why a fish, with a mouth the size of a small bucket, that eats baits, hooks, wire, swivels, complete rigs, sticks, leaves, detritus and anything else (with intentions on swallowing the lot) in the vicinity, in one gulp much of the time, requires a hair-rig or a single for that matter?

This is just marketing and the idea was made popular by Mick Brown on his webite a matter of weeks before his kebab rigs came out in the shops. Now call me cynical but I very much doubt Mick Brown would choose kebab rigs, singles or hair-rigs for that matter, over snap-tackle because he knows what purpose a 2 treble rig serves.

Mick Brown can afford to use try rigs like these because he has hours on the bank to fill, testing and farting about. I would stake my life that if Browny went to a limited access event (let's say Mentieth) he'd be using snap-tackle because it works, has done for years and will bank anything he hooks into.

The idea is a few years old now and very few successful pikers have taken the idea onboard and made it their main line of attack. Why is that I wonder?
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:05 pm

I think its fair to say you don't fancy trying them then lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:32 pm

That would be fair... Wink
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR Empty Re: single hook hair rig

Post  CRIB Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Don't know if its anything particular to my new venue but a found single hook hair rig produced deeper hooked pike, the take was less positive & also the loss rate was higher.
I have moved off them as I don't like deep hooking pike, they manage to set two trebles far enough down.
What has seem to give me an edge is balancing the deadbaits so they sit at an angle against the bottom, found a guy on ebay in ireland who makes a small double treble pop up rig with 2 poly balls, I have real confidence in this . If anyone wants his details let me know. Cool
CRIB
CRIB

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 am

CRIB wrote:What has seem to give me an edge is balancing the deadbaits so they sit at an angle against the bottom, found a guy on ebay in ireland who makes a small double treble pop up rig with 2 poly balls, I have real confidence in this . If anyone wants his details let me know. Cool

Hi Crib

Do you have a link to a website or any pics of this rig?

Might have a go at making it myself Very Happy

raf1870

Back to top Go down

SINGLE HOOK PIKE TRACE WITH WIRE HAIR Empty Re:Poly ball rigs

Post  CRIB Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm

The guys ebay name is kbgear09
If you search pike rigs on ebay you get his rigs.
I have total confidence in the popper rig & the quality is excellent well worth the investment.
Hope this is of use
Cool Cool
CRIB
CRIB

Back to top Go down

Post  raf1870 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

CRIB wrote:The guys ebay name is kbgear09
If you search pike rigs on ebay you get his rigs.
I have total confidence in the popper rig & the quality is excellent well worth the investment.
Hope this is of use
Cool Cool

They look simple enough to rig up, so might have a go at making a few of these up as have some spare pop ups to use.

Cheers

raf1870

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down