PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

big pit recommendations

+4
tootall
Lefty
Alex Makk
kell
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

big pit recommendations Empty big pit recommendations

Post  kell Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:31 am

i have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of big pit reels for use when i have the baitboat out extra line capacity .
i do not want massive ones and i have taken on board about retrive ratios.
anyone any surgestions was looking at a pair of Shimano Biomaster xs 7000
any help would be appreciated i think i would prefer shimano Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

big pit recommendations Empty Re: big pit recommendations

Post  Alex Makk Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 am

on the other big pit thread, i quoted about the shimano alivio 10000xta, and i had a feel and wind of one, they seem very nice and well built, the XTA have a bitrunner cap so is also ideal for not having to fiddle with the drag whilst on a run. Very Happy Very Happy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-ALIVIO-10000XTA-/380134705667?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item5881cb4a03#ht_500wt_949
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Well MrMakk, they seem to fulfil the requirements of mine, larger line capacity than my Wychwood Rogue Freespin (though not as much as the Alivio 10000FA) with no extra lever to get knocked when piking (and accidently putting into freespool mode Shocked )

They weigh more than the Alivio 10000FA, but saves having to have 2 reels (1 for pike, 1 for carp).

And buying one of them works out cheaper than 2 seperate reels as well (the Alivio 10000FA and a Baitrunner ST10000RA). Then when you factor in me selling the Wychwood, this one reel will cost maybe around £40 instead of spending around £100 on the other 2 to get the same result Very Happy .
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Lefty wrote:Well MrMakk, they seem to fulfil the requirements of mine, larger line capacity than my Wychwood Rogue Freespin (though not as much as the Alivio 10000FA) with no extra lever to get knocked when piking (and accidently putting into freespool mode Shocked )

They weigh more than the Alivio 10000FA, but saves having to have 2 reels (1 for pike, 1 for carp).

And buying one of them works out cheaper than 2 seperate reels as well (the Alivio 10000FA and a Baitrunner ST10000RA). Then when you factor in me selling the Wychwood, this one reel will cost maybe around £40 instead of spending around £100 on the other 2 to get the same result Very Happy .

well if you do decide to get an alivio big pit, let me know which model, i have generally quoted the XTA(the one i had a feel n wind of) as they have the baitrunner II system, which i this is ideal if they are being use for carp(closed bail arm yet freespool enguaged) n pike(open bail arm.) and being honed buying two of these i can't see where you would go wrong,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Maver Medusa 7000 these puppys look nice and been told they are very good Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:50 pm

kell wrote:Maver Medusa 7000 these puppys look nice and been told they are very good Very Happy

Yes Kell - heard good things about these too Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:26 pm

now im trying to knock the maver reels here as i use some of the less well known brands but are they going to have the ability in any way shape or form to make you part with your money over shimano or daiwa who have model upon model and years worth of respect (saying that im not a fan of newer shimanos i think they have become dar too dependant on the baitrunner and the quality of the reels is crap compared to what they used to be)

any okumas out there that fit the bill?

or my vote for pike fishing are penn surfmasters the older pre shakepere model
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 pm

pop round to mine kell and i let you try the shimmaro long cast the emcast and the emcat advanced,let you have a cast on field with each one or local water mate,what we can do is set marker out at 100 yards ect and then let you cast to it then we will also time you in winding it back in so you can tell the differance in gear ratio and also you can feel the reel to Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:47 pm

nickcarpy wrote:pop round to mine kell and i let you try the shimmaro long cast the emcast and the emcat advanced,let you have a cast on field with each one or local water mate,what we can do is set marker out at 100 yards ect and then let you cast to it then we will also time you in winding it back in so you can tell the differance in gear ratio and also you can feel the reel to Very Happy Very Happy

this is where i now sound so alan (annagram) you know what i really like in a reel and it is so insignificant but for me at least it makes so much difference

a wooden handle emcast advanced (own three) penn carp masters (rebaded surfmaster) have them original biomasters (gt4500) have wood

the biomaster 2's went down hill as they had a plastic grip long casts have plasticy rubber ones plain emcasts have plastic

you know it makes sense that little bit of luxury makes them so much nicer to live with
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

noodle wrote:
nickcarpy wrote:pop round to mine kell and i let you try the shimmaro long cast the emcast and the emblems advanced,let you have a cast on field with each one or local water mate,what we can do is set marker out at 100 yards ect and then let you cast to it then we will also time you in winding it back in so you can tell the differance in gear ratio and also you can feel the reel to Very Happy Very Happy

this is where i now sound so alan (annagram) you know what i really like in a reel and it is so insignificant but for me at least it makes so much difference

a wooden handle emcast advanced (own three) penn carp masters (rebaded surfmaster) have them original biomasters (gt4500) have wood

the biomaster 2's went down hill as they had a plastic grip long casts have plasticy rubber ones plain emcasts have plastic

yes agree mate,like the longcast[yes i know you dont lol]but the clutch is great on them,downside a bit heavy but i live with that as most of the time there on pod!plain emcast on me spod,great workhorse for £50 ish but the emcast 5500 advance well for the dosh you carnt get a better reel!!!give me them over techniems or basias anyday,unless the latter was a freebe! Very Happy Very Happy
you know it makes sense that little bit of luxury makes them so much nicer to live with[/quote]

Last edited by nickcarpy on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm

had 3 daiwa emblems nothing wrong with them but in my case the extra capacity is wasted sold them last year got a couple of shimano bait runners sorry Embarassed got 3 for 132sqid cant fault em kell Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 pm

i,de reccomend the biomaster with the rosary handles mine are still going strong
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:51 pm

tackle tart wrote:i,de reccomend the biomaster with the rosary handles mine are still going strong
you tackle tart pmsl lol! lol! lol!
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

nickcarpy wrote:
tackle tart wrote:i,de reccomend the biomaster with the rosary handles mine are still going strong
you tackle tart pmsl lol! lol! lol!
hi there nick you are a carp man i think just found out there is bream in the lake where i had the pike talking to a carp lad hes had bream to 17 lb now thats a big slab would boilies be the best option mate Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 pm

well carp anglers moan about bream but i dont mind them,know a few waters where they are fishing for carp an they [bream] take a likeing to mainline hi-viz pineapple yellow popups.!!!did you know my pal mark menkenna had a bream on baitcraft t1 boile that broke the record at 22lb[google it]fair play he ant claimed it because he was fishing for carp not bream!!baitcraft t 1 a great bream boilie to!! Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:18 pm

nickcarpy wrote:well carp anglers moan about bream but i dont mind them,know a few waters where they are fishing for carp an they [bream] take a likeing to mainline hi-viz pineapple yellow popups.!!!did you know my pal mark menkenna had a bream on baitcraft t1 boile that broke the record at 22lb[google it]fair play he ant claimed it because he was fishing for carp not bream!!baitcraft t 1 a great bream boilie to!! Very Happy
and i thought 17lb was big ...so carp bolt rigs or the order of the day.Fish as you would for carp ......sorry nick i know this should be undercoarse fishing Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:22 pm

http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/%E2%80%9Cwhy-i-will-not-claim-record-for-world-best-22-lb-9-oz-bream%E2%80%9D/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/Catch-Reports/September-2009/British-bream-record-broken-at-22lb-9oz/

Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm

i would to be honest fish corn on method feeder as my first choice,then worm,caster or boilie if after bream but iam no expert pal,but then i know the bream like them boilies pal Very Happy thats a good bream at 17lb in any water.whats the average size then? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 pm

tootall wrote:http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/%E2%80%9Cwhy-i-will-not-claim-record-for-world-best-22-lb-9-oz-bream%E2%80%9D/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/Catch-Reports/September-2009/British-bream-record-broken-at-22lb-9oz/

Cool
thanks pal Cool
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

nickcarpy wrote:i would to be honest fish corn on method feeder as my first choice,then worm,caster or boilie if after bream but iam no expert pal,but then i know the bream like them boilies pal Very Happy thats a good bream at 17lb in any water.whats the average size then? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
think 10lb to 12lb and tench to 12lb been told
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:47 pm

any baits ive said then if you dont mind a 10lb tench hooking its selve lol Very Happy a double bream or tench is a great fish pal Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:25 pm

a few pics for referance been rummaging in the garage to find some reels

left to right are bugger dont fit ok top to bottom all the way through then Embarassed

emcast advanced
penn carpmaster
biomaster
biomaster2
big pit recommendations DSC00892-1
again left to right to give you an idea on the spool size
biomaster
penn
emcast

ive left the biomaster 2 out as it isnt really a big pit but the smallest size they did a 1010
big pit recommendations DSC00894-1-1

this one gives you another veiw on the spools
big pit recommendations DSC00895

and the bio 2 just to show you how small this one was
Smile
big pit recommendations DSC00896-1

in normal terms nowadays the biomaster is about the same size as a 10000 xte spool wise or a 60 size reel its no big pit in modern terms but when it was released that and the aerlex (which was rear drag and also the model for the early aero baitrunners) were amazing bits of kit

sadly shimano made the bios bigger then used the same shape body for the aerlex with different internals and agraphite spool, they also brought out the normal sized biomaster 2's as a front drag reel

then big pits went wild from the earlyu days with cheap offerings from ryobi with the project gtx to the iddle road aerlex biomaster and daiwa pm's to the top end millionmax and ss series followed on with the tournaments

and today you can choose from hundredes of the things

Last edited by noodle on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 pm

some out there at 500squid
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:59 pm

somewhere alon the line those photos are being rotated from the way i have them saved its doing my head in trying to get them on right Embarassed
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:54 am

Shimano Biomaster xs 7000 reel any good i can get a pair for £100 they have wooden handles which i must admit i like and if they are like the size noodle has shown in the picks they are just nwhat i am looking for and if tackle tart kev gives thumbs up they will be mine

Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum