PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lake xxxxxx

+7
tackle tart
stubbo
greg
adie1200
tootall
newie2010
topgunny
11 posters

Go down

Lake xxxxxx Empty Lake xxxxxx

Post  topgunny Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 am

Hi all.
Know i'm pretty new to both pike fishing and this forum but thought i'd share what was a pretty good days fishing on Lake xxxxxx yesterday.
I normally go with the father in law and the brother in law but the father in law was working so it was just the two of us. After getting to xxxxxx at about quarter to eight (don't even ask why it was so late - had to keep going back for things we'd forgotten!) we got our rods in and settled down.

Lake xxxxxx Img_1111
Lake xxxxxx Img_1112

At about eleven Mark got a run but lost it, but he didn't have time to sulk too long because he had another run about 10 minutes later. As it was coming in he said to me that he thought it was small because of the lack of fight but about 10 yards from the bank it splashed it's tail and I thought, that definitely isn't small!

Lake xxxxxx Img_1119
Lake xxxxxx Img_1120
Lake xxxxxx Img_1117
Lake xxxxxx Img_1116

It was a 29 pound monster! I'm to blame for adjusting the scales wrong - Mark told me they weigh 1lb so I put it back a pound before he weighed it to give an accurate reading but once the fish was safely back in the water I weighed the bag and it was only 1/2 lb! To say we were excited would be an understatement! The only thing that could have made this better would be if I caught but, alas, that wasn't to be (but I am getting used to blanking!).

About 45 mins later when we still hadn't settled down Mark got another run. This time was only a measly (kidding) 10lb! Talk about someone getting all of the luck!

Lake xxxxxx Img_1118

After this we didn't get another sniff for the rest of the day until we packed up at 6. Just to let you know as well, the monster was caught on an eel and the other on a mackerel.

Anyway, got a beautiful day for it and a great return for one of us!

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Last edited by adie1200 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Venue naming)

topgunny

Back to top Go down

Lake xxxxxx Empty Re: Lake xxxxxx

Post  newie2010 Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 pm

great catch well done

BUT..

1. no naming policy
2. please learn how to hold the pike in a photo and DONT stand up with them.

just polite advice.

other than that... well done Very Happy
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Well in lads, but that (^^^^^^) is sound advice by newie Wink
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Nice pike mate but sorry had to delete the venue name as we have a no naming policy

Please Read link below
Venue naming link

Thanks for sharing the pics with us Wink

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:00 pm

verywell done lads. fish of a life time to say the least happy for you Very Happy .

good way to hold a 29lb pike, rather than by the jaw Wink .

but as newie said better if you kneel down just in case the fish is dropped, thats the best i have seen on this site. cracker.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:49 pm

well lads what a beut Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 am

well done topgunny thanks a cracking pike
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:08 pm

well done mate . nice fish.
ps is that an alien spacecraft in the background Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 am

affraid affraid affraid What a fish, well done Very Happy

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 am

greg wrote:good way to hold a 29lb pike, rather than by the jaw Wink .

but as newie said better if you kneel down just in case the fish is dropped, thats the best i have seen on this site. cracker.

How?

I can't see how wrapping your arms round a fish is doing it's mucus coating any good whatsoever and without a grip on the jaw, there's every chance the fish is going to wriggle free. That's why all experienced pikers hold their pike by the jaw. Support it's weight by all means.

Cracking fish but really....he needs to learn to hold one properly. There will be tears I can assure you.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
greg wrote:good way to hold a 29lb pike, rather than by the jaw Wink .

How?

I can't see how wrapping your arms round a fish is doing it's mucus coating any good whatsoever and without a grip on the jaw, there's every chance the fish is going to wriggle free. That's why all experienced pikers hold their pike by the jaw. Support it's weight by all means.

Cracking fish but really....he needs to learn to hold one properly. There will be tears I can assure you.

we have been through this debate before andy.

greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 am

If we only talked about new subjects a forum wouldn't last Greg. Besides, we have new members all the time. What's old for you is brand new for someone else. If a subject bores you, don't take part. Nobody is forcing you and nobody can tell me removing fish mucus is better for the fish than holding it by the jaw and supporting it's weight.

Why do we wet unhooking mats and weigh-slings if it's OK to wrap your arms your arms round a fish firmly??

That just begs a question.....how many people wet mats and weigh-slings?
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:13 am

If we only talked about new subjects a forum wouldn't last . Besides, we have new members all the time. What's old for you is brand new for someone else.

Thats a very valid point Andy, I'v learned something new about the mucus because of your Quote???

Last edited by cavemandom on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 am

cavemandom wrote:If we only talked about new subjects a forum wouldn't last . Besides, we have new members all the time. What's old for you is brand new for someone else.

Thats a very valid point Andy, I'v learned something new about the mucus because of your Quote???

And Also Greg I can understand what your saying about handling a pike and straddling being unavoidable, it's a very grey area,

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 am

cavemandom wrote:
cavemandom wrote:If we only talked about new subjects a forum wouldn't last Greg. Besides, we have new members all the time. What's old for you is brand new for someone else.

And Also Greg I can understand what your saying about handling a pike a strddling is unavoidable, it's a very grey area,

yip it is a bit grey, but most pikers do there utmost to protect there quarry.
that is a cracker of a pike bud
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:32 am

I do think though Topgunny should be shown or research how to handle pike, in the second photo that pike is no bigger than 3Lb and he is craddling it in the same manor as the big girl, a fish of that size could be chinned to unhook photograph and carried back to the water for release...

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:43 am

cavemandom wrote:I do think though Topgunny should be shown or research how to handle pike, in the second photo that pike is no bigger than 3Lb and he is craddling it in the same manor as the big girl, a fish of that size could be chinned to unhook photograph and carried back to the water for release...

Unhooking Pike on the pac site will help you bud Wink
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 am

greg wrote:
cavemandom wrote:I do think though Topgunny should be shown or research how to handle pike, in the second photo that pike is no bigger than 3Lb and he is craddling it in the same manor as the big girl, a fish of that size could be chinned to unhook photograph and carried back to the water for release...

do you agree with what I say about the second fish greg ///

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:52 am

cavemandom wrote:
greg wrote:

do you agree with what I say about the second fish greg ///

yes, on the smaller pike. enjoy your fishin Very Happy use two hands when you can. treat in like your woman....
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum