MARGIN FISHING

Go down

MARGIN FISHING  Empty MARGIN FISHING

Post  tackle tart on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm

MARGIN FISHING FOR CARP

Margin fishing is one of my favourite tactics and when i get the chance or just a couple of hours spares i can creep up on the carp and observe them at close quarters and set my traps and on a lot of lakes i fish i often have found this to be the best place to get a bite is in the margins.
Now as we come out of the colder month and the first buds appear on the tree,s and bushes , the waters start to warm up and the carp this time of year can be found starting moving into the shallows and the margins , this is where the water will be warming first especailly if these area,s are sheltered and will get the warmth of the early spring sunshine first , as the lake starts to warm up the fish can be easerly spotted this time of year either near the surface in the warmer layers of the lake or grubbing around the margins or shallows ,as these are natural larders and with spring these becomes more anbundant with hatches of insects, snails and tapoles ect ect and fish will naturally take advantage of it , lakes really do now start to wake up fast from winter .
MARGIN FISHING  Cranworth3007-1

The margins on any water are often a good place to get a bite, but get over looked by alot anglers as they want to get to the so called most prolific swim on the lake and more often than not they will cast into the middle of the lake , when the fish could be right under there rod tips in the margins .
Probably the most important factor in margin fishing is being very quiet and stealthy If you are not ,you are likely to spook any fish you might have had a chance of catching so be as quiet as you can .
When i start any trip i,m aware that any noise can spook the fish that might be visible on the surface or in the margins and when you first turn up at a venue you want a chance to be able to spot them , and i had an experience that since i observed it years ago i,ve employed into my fishing ever since.
That is when i turn up at a venue i will drive into the car park slowly and as carefully as i can ( sometimes turning the engine off and free wheeling into the car park) and if before first light will turn the lights well before i get close to the lake .
I take great care not to slam my door and gently pushing it shut ,as this is what happened to me a car pulled into the car park and the person got out of his car and slammed the car door and all the fish i was observing after the door slamming shut was enough to make all the carp just melt away off the surface and i didn,t see any more that session
Not only does it alert the carp to your presence and make it more difficult to spot fish it when you walk round ,it also doesn,t disturb others fishing aswell especially if they are in the nearest swim to the car park .
Once i,ve had a good creep round and choosen where i,m going to start , the first thing i will need to do is set my rods up away from the waters edge keeping as quiet as you can , while keeping low off the sky line or hidden behind the bankside vegetation like bushes,reedbeds taking care to keeping very quiet and not make any sudden movement , i carefully Look for signs of fish before introducing any loose feed or my baited rig as dropping loose feed or a bait on top of the fish will again more than likely scare the fish away and you might miss a oppotunity for a quick bite .
Also wearing dark clothing such a camoufladge clothing will again help in concealing you from the fish and on alot of occassion you can get with in feet of them if you are careful.
MARGIN FISHING  Saham5010

One of the benefist of margin fishing is the advantage of being able to place your hookbait accurately and quietly , instead of casting the rig out making alot of disturbance as it enters the water and wondering if it could tangled or in the right place.
I have used this techniques of positioning the bait on an exact spot on the bottom by lowering the hookbait into place and sometimes even using a baiting spoon if i want to get it under a overhanging bush ,i,ll even cast over to a far margin creep round and place it in by hand
MARGIN FISHING  Cr15-2010018.

this type of fishing really helps your confidence, as you know you are perfectly in position for the lake you are fishing and when you get a bite all hell breaks loose and really does give you a adrenalin rush !!
Baiting is another example why margin fishing is good as it is very easy ,quiet and accurate to bait up in the margins .
If i,m targeting a particular lake I will try to pre-bait margin spots as Often as I can before I fish it, allowing the fish to have a free feeds and get confident in coming into margin spots , but if that is not possible it is still easy to introduce baits while margin fishing on a lake and going back during the session to see if fish have come to these area given you a chance of a bonus fish or two especially if you are on a short stalking session.

This fish came just a couple foot out on a baited spot that had been introduced a couple of hours earlier on the session and after observing fish in the area i introduced a bait and caught this beauty which was one of three fish taken on a short evening session stalking the margins

MARGIN FISHING  Cr2009

its important to make sure you have your Polarised glasses with you the fact you are fishing in the margin at such close range polariods making spotting the fish and observing them so much easier and to have and use them is to your advantage and stay alert at all times as fish will just suddenly appear if you are quiet ..
If possible climbing trees to get above the margins you are fishing can again be to your advantage by doing this it will give you a good view of everything that is going on below , this will also allow you to observe any fish feeding and watching their behavior in your swim this is crucial knowledge and can often mean you can change a rig or bait to suit the fish especially if you,ve observed them ejecting your bait and hook , however make sure you can get down safely from the tree ..
Camoufladging your end tackle and line as much as possible when margin fishing is again very important as you don,t want to have fish on your spot and get spooked away by a badly presented rig /bait
I find that matching your rig to the bottom colour as close as possible will help to disguise your rig and there are now many rig materials to match the bottom you are fishing over ,also Make sure that your line is pinned hard to the bottom with either Leadcore, tubing or flouro leaders again in todays carping these can be matched to suit the bottom you are fishing over aswell.
It also important to pin the line down and fishing slack lines is one way or back leading ,don,t leave anything to chance as you don,t want the carp detecting it again spoiling your chances .
Another good advantage of margin fishing you don,t have to take truck loads of gear and in most cases if i,m stalking i will travel as light as i can i,ll not even take bank sticks as messing about sometimes putting in bank sticks means you could been seen or make unecessarily noise while putting them in and again spook fish you might be trying to catch ,i just lay the rod on the ground and watch and wait for the line to start to come off the reel or the float to dissappear,
This way you can be alot more mobile and fish a few baited spots during any session short or long .
MARGIN FISHING  Stalkingbay001

Although i said at the start of this post that carp move into the shallows and margins as the lake warms up at the start of spring that is a bit of a mis-conception as you can still catch in the margins during the depth of winter ,so don,t dismiss margin or shallows fish in the winter as fish will come into them especially if its mild
as this 29lb 14oz carp came a foot from the edge on a very cold february evening with the temperture dropping to -3
MARGIN FISHING  2003updatepics067

tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

MARGIN FISHING  Empty Re: MARGIN FISHING

Post  nickcarpy on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 pm

nice pic,s and great infro.Use the baiting spoon myself on one of my local waters,.aslo found a bit of black foam works well when tadpoles are about in edge.Like margin fishing because you can see the fish plus see how your baits is presented to Very Happy great write up kev Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 pm

nickcarpy Today at 9:21 pm
found a bit of black foam works well when tadpoles are about in edge

do you know what nick sometimes people say things and you wish you had thought of it
especially when i,de actually tried a bunch of the real things on a hair that is so simple its brilliant !!!as i said i wish i,de thought of it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
i,ll be employing that now nick
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

thats what sites for ,helping each other to out wit the fish. Very Happy by the way kev i done that to with the real ones!! lol!
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:52 pm

bit messy ain,t it Very Happy Very Happy
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 pm

lol! lol! lol!