PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP

Go down

PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  Empty PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP

Post  tackle tart on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 am

Carp care this really starts right from the time you get the intial run in my opinion , its one of the best adrenalin rushes in carp fishing , when you get the run with the indicated screaming out and the bait runner hissing as line it taken out by the now attached angry carp ,especially if you have waited a long time for any action so you don,t want to blow your chance now do you ??.
Now you don,t have to run out to the rod and strike like a madman, all you need to do is pick the rod up and bend into the fish ,(but under the surprise and excitement of a run we sometimes tend to forget and rush to the rod anyway ) .
So once you are into the carp you will want to play it carefully (as it might be a PB) so don,t just winch it in it could end in tears such as the hook pulling from the carps mouth or your line giving way under the strain.
Now the carp will go on powerfull runs during the fight to try and escape by taken you into a un-seen snag or dense weed and there are two ways you can play it ,one is to have your reel in the anti reverse position and backwind or you can use the clutch on the back of your reel or on the front depending what reel you have .
I tend to use the clutch but i don,t set mine before hand like some angler will advise but i loosen it after i have made contact with the carp then once i,m into the fight i will then tighten or loosen it .
You should at all time keep the line tight to the fish applying steady pressure while gently winding down and lifting the rod and keep doing this to slowly bring the carp closer in .
Once the carp is close you will have to be carefull because although it will be tired it can and some time still go on a power full runs putting added pressure on your tackle and especially to the hook so be care full when its close.
Now your landing net should be to hand and now this is the time to place it in the water some will put the net in the water earlier , the fish should now be tired enough and this is normally shown by the carp when it lays on its side, you can now draw it over the net carefully ,but be ready as some time when they see the net they tend to get another lease of life and try and run off again so take it slowly .

PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  Oxlodelakes019

Once the carp is in the net make sure its safe ( when on my own i use a bank stick in between the spreader block) as you will need to leave the fish for a minute while making sure you have your weighing gear ready and your camera ,remebering to also have carp anticeptic to hand for any cuts or soar that might need treatiNG also have a bucket of water to keep the fish wet, you will need to make sure your scales are zeroed, now you can get the fish which has been resting in the net.
Again care should be taken here after detaching roll the net up making sure that the carps pecks are laying flat to its body and now lift it out and taking it to the all ready wetted unhooking mat, carefully place your fish into the weigh sling again making sure it pecks are against its body, now you are ready to record your carp weights .

Now although weighing a fish is simple many still get it wrong ,sometimes this can simply be down to someone just not knowing how to weigh fish correctly and leads to so many false weights when people weigh fish .
This can be down to simply mis-calculation when trying to deduct the weigh sling off the final weight of the fish in the sling or even forgeting to zero the scales first or incorrectly lifting the scales during the weighing process .

SO HOW DO I DO THIS CORRECTLY ??

PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  045

Now while the fish is resting in water in the net after unhooking , the first thing to do is make sure your weigh sling is wetted (this is for the care of the fish ) you then attach the sling to the scales and set your scales to zero ,once this is done you can put the fish in the sling again making sure that the fishes pectorial fins are tucked along its body in to avoid breaking them, now attach your scales to the sling via the hook at the bottom of the scales and lift and weigh the fish by lifting from the top of the scales .
Its very important that when you lift your scales, you MUST always lift from the loop at the top of the scales alot of people have T bars attached to the loop at the top .
Some anglers lift the scales up from the underneath of the scales this gives an definate inaccurate reading which is higher than the exact weight when lifted from the top loop so try and remember to lift from the top allways
sometimes when weighing a heavy fish it can be quite difficult to lift the fish up with out having your eldows tucked into your body and the scales are resting against the forearms which may give a incorrect reading .
what i use is a hook especially with bigger specimens that attaches to the end of my landing net and it very easy to use and get a accurate reading of your prize what you do is attach it to your landing net pole then hook your scales onto the hook and with the bottom of the pole placed into the side of your boot you can now lift up until the sling is clear of the floor you can read the weight of the fish far more easerly .and this also should be more steadier avoiding the needle shaking which sometimes happens especially with dial type scales

PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  Scales1002

If you can its all ways best to have the scales attach from a fixed point and on some venues where very big carp are presence then tripod set up are used allowing the scales and the fish to hang freely below the tripod which are very sturdy and will give a very accurate reading and more and more of these are being used by anglers around the country

Now if all has gone well you will now be ready to photo your prize beore releasing it back into the lake or where you might be fishing
PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  005

Once you have taken your trophy shots its time to release your prize ,so don,t just carry the fish back to the lake , it could easerly thrash and flip in your hands and the fish maybe dropped causing damage to the fish and thats the last thing you want .
Its best to carry the fish back to the water either in a safety weigh sling or net as this way you have the fish safely supported and shouldn,t be able to damage itself .
Allow the carp a minute to recover before you let it swim away there,s not a better sight than to see your quarry swim away strongly none the worse for its visit to the bank.
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  Empty Re: PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 pm

top marks for that kev,would like to add that when unhooking the fish allways treat the hook holds and any graze burns the fish might have got,also just before having you prize photo took get a jug/bucket of water and wet the fish,2 reasons,1st is it clears any slime build on fish and second it makes the fish look sharper ,shiney on photo Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 pm

thanks nick

[quote]tackle tart Today at 10:35 am

Once the carp is in the net make sure its safe ( when on my own i use a bank stick in between the spreader block) as you will need to leave the fish for a minute while making sure you have your weighing gear ready and your camera ,remebering to also have carp anticeptic to hand for any cuts or soar that might need treatiNG also have a bucket of water to keep the fish wet, you will need to make sure your scales are zeroed, now you can get the fish which has been resting in the net. [quote]

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm

lol,must have had my blinkers on Embarassed Embarassed anyway worth saying again lol!sorry pal
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 am

[quote]by nickcarpy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm
lol,must have had my blinkers on anyway worth saying again lol!sorry pal/quote]

agree with you nick where fish care is concerned it can,t be avocated enough

tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm

What do you guys use for hook holds and such?
I've found klinik and such to be quite crap really with it being water soluable, surely that can't do much if once the fish is released it is rinsed off?

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:53 pm

i use the korda kit but Bonjela is a popular and a cheap alternative to brand names

PLAYING AND WEIGHING CARP  Carpcare002
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down