PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Braided line advice please

+3
Slidze
JOEL
Lefty
7 posters

Go down

Braided line advice please Empty Braided line advice please

Post  Lefty Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 pm

I've been contemplating switching over to braided line from mono.

I know all about the advantages such as little or no stretch, diameter to strength ratio, virtually no memory etc....

My main worries are thus:
My baitrunner reel is a Leeda 2XL with a plastic (graphite?) spool and my spinning reel is a no namer (again plastic spool) I picked up cheap at a car boot sale. I've heard that these type of spools can crack when using braid due to there being no stretch in the line. Has anybody else heard of this and does it really happen?

My deadbait rod is a 12ft 3pce rod bought from Dragon Carp Direct for £12.50 and my spinning rod is a 9ft Daiwa carbon jobbie I was given. I doubt the rings on these rods will be up to it as, apparently, braid can cut into cheaper ring linings.

Don't laugh too hard, I know the gear isn't spectacular but it is all I can afford what with a missus, 3 kids, a dog and a gecko to look after. And after all, apart from when spinning, the rod is on the floor or a rest most of the time. I've always been happy with them so see no need to spend money on another 'better' rod.

So chaps, have any of you come across or even experienced these problems?
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Braided line advice please Empty Re: Braided line advice please

Post  JOEL Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:50 pm

I use 40lb power pro on all my deads-20lb tuff xp on my ultralite & baitcaster-50lb on my med spinner-100lb on my jerkbait rod....Buy power pro from ebay usa.Spiderwire & fireline are also much cheaper.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fin-Addict-Fishing-tackle_Power-Pro-braided-line_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9927731QQftidZ2QQtZkm
JOEL
JOEL

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 pm

I've been reading all the buzz aboot this braided line stuff Lefty.

I too have been tempted to try the braided as it seems like it is the dogs Bollox! I tend to spin and lure fish all the time and am now experiencing the stretching issues with mono line.

I use 30lb mono filament line on a £20 rod with a £45 open faced fixed spool reel.

I think that as long as you are enjoying your fishing.....there is no need to switch line........unless you feel an absolute need to do so (even if it's just oot of curiosity). I may switch just to see if I get more life out of my line.....nothing more.....nothing less. I definitely won't change my rod/reel to match my line.

<===father of 2, who wants to enjoy fishing Wink
Slidze
Slidze

http://slidzenicely.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 pm

If braid can crack a spool, it's the angler that's at fault I reckon. The drag should be set to give before there's anywhere near that kind of stress being put on it. Mono is far more likely to crack a plastic spool because it has a memory and under extreme temperature changes, it can compress, which has been known to crush spools. This is why you should never clip mono under the line-clip after use. Leave it loose and it allows for movement. Braid should not do the same because it doesn't have a memory.
The rings on your rods should be OK as long as they are lined with metal of some description. It's very unlikely that your rod will have plastic or ceramic liners in this day and age.
By the way, nobody is laughing at your gear. As long as you use it properly and look after your catch, we'll all be quite happy for you.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:58 am

JOEL wrote:I use 40lb power pro on all my deads-20lb tuff xp on my ultralite & baitcaster-50lb on my med spinner-100lb on my jerkbait rod....Buy power pro from ebay usa.Spiderwire & fireline are also much cheaper.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fin-Addict-Fishing-tackle_Power-Pro-braided-line_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9927731QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Thanks for that Joel.

Just bought 300yds of 40lb for roughly £16.00. BARGAIN Very Happy

Thanx for the encouragement about my gear and the assurance about using braid, guys.
Particularly interesting advice Andy. I always clip up when finished but won't bother now. I'll be sure to pass on that advice.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Braided line advice please Empty braided

Post  bigchris Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:13 pm

alright m8.ive been using braid for a while now,find its loads better for casting.ive got it on a zebco reel,and rod it runs through fine and there no signs that it damaging the rings,im using a 23lb fladen warbird got it from range,i think it was £15.

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:42 pm

to prevent the spool cracking, and the braid slipping back it out with mono, a few turns will do to prevent the braid slipping but fill the spool a quarter full with mono then add the braid the mono should 'cushion' the spool for you.

it is woth the money beleive me and as long as the rings are lined with ceramic/ali oxide/silicon carbide they should be fine its only on the chrome, or agate eyes i could see a problem.

one thing you may have problems with though is the line lay. if the reel doesnt lay the braid very flat you could struggle with wind knots.

using the softer rods you have (nothing wrong with em untill recently i had two of the 2xl rods for those less than salubrious areas and the only fault was the handles were too long), will complement using braid rather than hinder you.

should the reels not be up to the job then i can recomend the cheaper okumas for 20-25 quid you cannot go wrong i have several and the oldest (around 6 years or so) has withstood some amazing abuse like being dropped down a rock face 30 ft (on a full quiver) and coming out unscathed cant say the same about some other brands ive had
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanx lads.

I've heard the tip about using mono to 'cushion' the braid and prevent slip.

My gaffer came up to me today and told me the Range are doing tackle, it's not far from where I work so may try getting there on my break or after work. Probably be best to go after work or I may be late back to work. Laughing
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  JOEL Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 pm

I'd avoid places like the range,Best to pick stuff up on ebay & off the forums.I started with a borrowed rod & reel,When i wanted to get better stuff i got it bit by bit & built up my tackle over several years.It does'nt have to cost a fortune either.My 12' pike rods are a mixture of nash baitmaster & tfg brawlers,All costing rrp £100 ea,Yet i never paid more than £40ea.It's a case of seeing something you'd like then trawling the web & mags for the best deals.Bit of advice pal,Don't get addicted to lures,All those shiny painted lures,lures,lovely lures Embarassed Embarassed
JOEL
JOEL

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:27 pm

who are the range?

what gear are you after?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  JOEL Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 pm

noodle wrote:who are the range?

what gear are you after?

where the east europeans buy the bloody telescopics before they go town on your local water Evil or Very Mad
JOEL
JOEL

Back to top Go down

Braided line advice please Empty east europeans

Post  bigchris Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm

lol! lol! lol!

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 pm

the range is a diy store that if now stocking fladden gear. mostly very cheap and well crap.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 pm

mad bad angler wrote:mostly very cheap and well crap.

I'll give them a wide berth then affraid
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 pm

Just got me 300yards of Berkley, "Big Game".....30lb braid.

The fooker had a £41 price tag, but the guy in the tackle shop gave me it for £29.99.

I reluctantly shoved my card into the machine and punched in my digits Crying or Very sad

The guy (who I know quite well now) gave me some advice too........he told me to wind the braid onto my spool from a horizontal position & that he had some trouble with the line with casting. He said that he was casting into a head wind (sea angling) and the line tended to "float" in the air and create a wee bit of a birds nest. He said that he had to cut off aboot 60 yards of line to clear the mess. Check if the braid has created a loop when you flick the bail arm or sacrifice your line! Laughing

I've not used this line yet.....but I'm hoping to get oot tomorrow night for some lure jigging fun Wink

I'll post back here with some feedback on my first braid experience cyclops
Slidze
Slidze

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Got my braid today.

It's a pity it didn't arrive before the weekend so I could've tried it out yesterday.

Seems a little stiff, is is true that you are best to soak it for an hour in warm water before spooling up?
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Lefty wrote:Got my braid today.

It's a pity it didn't arrive before the weekend so I could've tried it out yesterday.

Seems a little stiff, is is true that you are best to soak it for an hour in warm water before spooling up?

it certainly helps not sure it matters though, what it does do is keep your fingers cool as you wind
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:47 pm

It's just a waxy coating they put on braid. It'll eventually come off, slowly but surely and your braid wil get limper as it goes along. It doesn't matter at all.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanx Andy
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:It's just a waxy coating they put on braid. It'll eventually come off, slowly but surely and your braid wil get limper as it goes along. It doesn't matter at all.

Yeah.....

....I noticed the kinda stiff quality to the braided line too when i first got it. I just went ahead and spooled it.First thing I noticed was how clean and light the cast felt.....not to mention the extra distance I seemed to get.

Also, I noticed how fookin tough this line is Shocked ...I'm used to just biting through mono, but with braid I'm needing scissors in my tackle bag.

I've yet to catch anything using the braid but the feel through the rod is excellent. I can feel spinners spinning, I can distinguish plant material from rock from roots.

....all I need now is to actually hook something Neutral
Slidze
Slidze

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:19 pm

and when you do hook something for the 1st time its going to be so much different than mono its scary Laughing
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum