PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ledger Weight

+2
nickcarpy
Lamby78
6 posters

Go down

Ledger Weight Empty Ledger Weight

Post  Lamby78 Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi guys was wondering do you all use the minimum weight of Ledger you can the reason i am asking is i thought the heavier the Ledger the more resistance on the pike when picking up a bait ive had a few dropped runs lately using 3.5 to 4 oz ledgers i was thinking this could be something to do with it cheers Matt
Lamby78
Lamby78

Back to top Go down

Ledger Weight Empty Re: Ledger Weight

Post  nickcarpy Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 pm

well its a can of worms this one,i allways use 4oz plus leads...if you ever watched the korda dvds they show and explain the benefits over a lighter lead ...it works for me!!if you got a lighter lead one the fish can move it more without any attention on your alarm/drop backs but the more weight you get more tighter line,better clipped up and a better registration on you alarms. Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamby78 Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Cheers Nick thats what was my thinking behind using heavy leads but like every time you dont manage to get fish on the bank i end up questioning set ups i found like you said you can get a tight line with heavy leads leading to better bit indication but ive had a few dropped runs of late
Lamby78
Lamby78

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:15 pm

I agree with both of you. 3oz for me usually, simply to be able to tighten down properly to allow for the most sensitive indications on the drop off and to also stop the fish moving the lead too easily etc
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:44 pm

What are the disadvantages of using a lighter lead, ive always used a 1.5oz, is this why i have a shit capture success rate
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Its more a method suited to free running set ups, for fixed leads it isnt the same mechaical principle.

With 4 ounces of lead on a run ring once the bait is moved the line runs through a fixed point, doing the same with a single ounce may see the lead move which creates problems.
With a fixed lead it is possi le to move the lead without giving any indication

Most of theftime i use 4 ounce of lead but i will go heavier quite often.

All of the above is for ledgering float or paternostered baits are different
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamby78 Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Just adding to that i tend to always use a 6inch ledger boom just so the line is always off the bottom so if its not popped up when the pike picks up the bait theres less drag on the eye the line runs through if popped up its already off the bottom not sure if thats a issue but just something i thought would help my fishing
Lamby78
Lamby78

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:57 pm

For running-leger rigs I always use 3oz minimum, even if I'm fishing a rod length or two out for the reasons mentioned. Big bore beads and run-rings are essential too.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum