fishing at distance?!

Go down

fishing at distance?! Empty Re: fishing at distance?!

Post  bigt on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 pm

i use diawa emcast evo 5000 reels and often fish at distance over ledges using sunken paternoster on alarms to good effect so you would be ok doing this
bigt
bigt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

depends on how much you want to spend? emblems are great value,if you want a baitrunner then go for the shimano lc [longcast]..if you ae fishing distance then i would fish braid as it as lest stretch. Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Daiwa emcast advanced or for truly huge spools sealine bulls in 6000 size
noodle
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:54 pm

I'd like to see a sunken paternoster being cast any kind of distance. A float leger rig maybe and forget fishing braid over a shelf. It might be fine until you have a fish on. Then you can't guarantee you'll avoid the ledge.

Can't you wade out to the edge of the shelf and fish from there. That's what I have to do on a favourite water of mine because any kind of float rigs just won't get out there. I have to use the longest extendable banksticks possible and wade.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 am

Similar ideas. I use a 4lb spod rod, Emblem reel, 15lb Tournament mono and a shockleader with 4-5 oz leads.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Similar ideas. I use a 4lb spod rod, Emblem reel, 15lb Tournament mono and a shockleader with 4-5 oz leads.

Out today for the 1st time with mine and put a6 ounce mackeral and 5 ounce lead 120 meters ish on the second chuck
Couldnt manage a third one as i ripped my finger to bits Embarassed
Ive used a full tube of superglue sticking all the bits of skin back down. It looks like ive grazed it with a surform.

120 meters based on tight line and 120 handle trns to retrieve the reels apparently retrieve 1 m of line per handle turn Laughing
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 am

Speaking from my sea fishing expeditions, if your managing to chuck 11oz 120 metres, thats bloody great going. I've recently had beachcasting tuition - i was of the thought that i was easily hitting a 5oz lead 100 yards. Upon doing 'my best' i was told it was 70 yards at best! After 4 hours tuition, off the ground cast (with a decent rotation involved) i'm now getting it 140 yards. But with a 6oz Mackerel on top of that, no way would i be anywhere near.
jimlad
jimlad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 am

noodle wrote:
120 meters based on tight line and 120 handle trns to retrieve the reels apparently retrieve 1 m of line per handle turn Laughing

How can that be true? a half empty spool after a cast for instance , picks up far less line than a full spool so that canges all the time as more line is put back onto the spool. You can't judge distance by turns of a handle. Think about this one.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:20 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
noodle wrote:

How can that be true? a half empty spool after a cast for instance , picks up far less line than a full spool so that canges all the time as more line is put back onto the spool. You can't judge distance by turns of a handle. Think about this one.

Agree with the above as well. Like i said, i was of the thought i could easily hit 100 yards - i reckon the majority of anglers who say they can often struggle. However, i agree with you that it would be possible for a big pit reel with high gear ratio could be picking up 1m of line for every rotation as an average, if the spool is reltively full.
jimlad
jimlad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:27 pm

No, it'sa length of line connected to your rig andwih a few winds on the reel as well, of line that is heavier than your mainline. The advice in sea fishing is to have 10lb breaking strain for every 1oz cast - so if your casting 5oz, a 50lb shockleader should be used (however, this advice is for pendulum casting).
jimlad
jimlad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 pm

No thats different. The shock leader is to replace your main line back to your reel (plus a few turns on the reel)
jimlad
jimlad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
noodle wrote:

I did say ish and the reels have huge spools truly huge. Actualy just had a read and my 1 m is a bit much the blurb is almost100 cm id read it as a meter the spool doesnt get half empty it takes 420 meters of 0.42 mm braid so the 0.36 pp doesnt even quarter fill the spool
Anyway 150 m of power pro there is mono showing through
The reel to show my error
http://www.onlinelures.co.uk/reels/fixed_spools/spinning/daiwa_sealine_bull_6000hi.html

School boy error sorry
The weight isnt an issue your not loading a fast tapered blank for ultimate distance with a clipped down rig. I havnt gained anything over the original set up i used in terms of distance, what i hope ican do if my finger holds up is use decent baits at range
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:04 pm

s6_piker wrote:Ok so what should i replace my normal mono week link with so it doesn't crack of with cast. I'm thinkin Ov useing a four once lead

NOthing keep the weak link getsome 49 strand wire in 80-90 lb make a normal trace with it but have a loop below the bottom treble, make the weak link long enough to tie the lead of to this bit of wire with pva
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Baitrunner 8000's will get you out pretty far, never really seen the need for big-pit reels to be honest, they were designed for the big continental carp lakes origionally. Line wise I prefer pre-stretch mono like the Shimano Tribal or the Daiwa Tornament, both of which are superior for distance fishing than standard mono.

The best rig I've found for fishing at range is a version of Mick Brown's simple leger set up where you basically have a leger link (of weaker braking strain mono than the main line) that is 4 or 5 inches longer than the trace so it will always 'lead' on the cast. If you use a decent distance bait like an eel section etc. you can really get some distance with this rig.

So basically around a 22 inch length of 10lb mono tied to a run ring or big-eye swivel with the lead tied to the other end - this is then threaded on to the main line, a couple of beads then the wire trace (around 16-18 inches long). Job done.

There really is no need for anything more fancy than this in my opinion.
daveb
daveb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:48 pm

daveb wrote:Baitrunner 8000's will get you out pretty far, never really seen the need for big-pit reels to be honest, they were designed for the big continental carp lakes origionally. Line wise I prefer pre-stretch mono like the Shimano Tribal or the Daiwa Tornament, both of which are superior for distance fishing than standard mono.

The best rig I've found for fishing at range is a version of Mick Brown's simple leger set up where you basically have a leger link (of weaker braking strain mono than the main line) that is 4 or 5 inches longer than the trace so it will always 'lead' on the cast. If you use a decent distance bait like an eel section etc. you can really get some distance with this rig.

So basically around a 22 inch length of 10lb mono tied to a run ring or big-eye swivel with the lead tied to the other end - this is then threaded on to the main line, a couple of beads then the wire trace (around 16-18 inches long). Job done.

There really is no need for anything more fancy than this in my opinion.

So casting three or four ounce leads on ten pound mono gives a suitable distance rig......
Ok up to 20 or 30 yards i suppose. Most big reels dont come from a carp fishing idea btw they were beach reels like the original well mk 11biomasters and aerlex from shimano, ss/millionmax from daiwa and gtx projects from ryobi, these took over from the mitchell and intrepids of earlier years.

And yes old 4500/6010 size reels can be cast far enough if you fish fine lines. Try it with 15 or 18 lb sensor or. 36 braid and you will soon give up and buy big reels
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Ive tried finger stalls in the past and struggle with them getting the release timed right
Im on a mono well fc shocleader to take the brunt
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Bit of elastoplast does the same thing mate. I can't go finger stalls either.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

fishing at distance?! Empty distance

Post  creamcake007 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:48 pm

been reading this thread with interest, my answer to distance fishing is the ever controversial bait boat,dont have any restrictions on waters up here Very Happy their great not only for distance but for spot on presentation too. they are expensive but well worth the money, caught loads of good fish on float pat at range using boat. As for casting 120yds , NO CHANCE Shocked
creamcake007
creamcake007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:30 pm

The bait boat is the best answer to distance work. I have been useing one for years.

psion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:39 pm

dont forget guys you have to get that pike back over that big distance i lot can go wrong in that distance ie snags ,weed beds i am talking about exstreme distance here and not forgetting the pressure on the pike itself you have not got a lot of control over a big pike at say 200 yards be carful at extreme range guys
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  creamcake007 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:37 pm

very true mate ,i dont go to extreme , 120yds is about it for me and i like to know as much as possible about bottom features. also braids a must ,instant contact at range. also when using boat delivery bait hook holds can be much lighter,making for better hook ups. some of my waters have very enclosed swims ,boat makes things much easier, the biggest down side is having a another thing to carry to the water pale
creamcake007
creamcake007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:12 am

psion wrote:The bait boat is the best answer to distance work. I have been useing one for years.

and what do you do if they are not welcome?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:56 am

s6_piker wrote:I've know got 3 emcast big pits to try get abit more distance. All I need kniw is a good low diameter strong line. Any 1 got any ideas??
been useing korda adrenaline last season cant fault it but stepped up abit this year to 18lb e.s.p seems ok up to now
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:21 pm

small frozen deadbaits and a suitable size lead are the way to go if you want to get a bait cast out to any distance, I say suitable lead because you could be casting a combined bait and lead that is too heavy for the rod. For example if I want to get a bait out about 70 yards (my maximum distance with a small dead) I will use a two ounce lead and a small frozen joey mackrel that is clipped up headfirst behind the lead to make it as streamlined as possible. I use 3lb TC rods and 20lb line with a 30lb shockleader even though I dont give it the big heave ho.
matt859
matt859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down