Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs....

Go down

Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs.... Empty Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs....

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 am

I dont know how to do a poll so just wondering what everyone uses. I always use crushed barbs wether its on owner st41's that i use for deadbaiting or extra strong partridge that i use for paternosta and free roaming lives.....

Back to top Go down

Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs.... Empty Re: Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs....

Post  stubbo on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm

pikeslag wrote:I dont know how to do a poll so just wondering what everyone uses. I always use crushed barbs wether its on owner st41's that i use for deadbaiting or extra strong partridge that i use for paternosta and free roaming lives.....
barbed for me every time dont have a problem with them due to striking straight away
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs.... Empty barbed, semi barbed etc

Post  doug6364 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:05 pm

semi barbed size 4 & 6 for me with the barb crushed as well. never had a problem with that set up. also, it doesnt matter how quick you are on the strike, they can sometimes still go deep. at least i can get them out in seconds, even if a bit deep. drunken
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs.... Empty Re: Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs....

Post  noodle on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:37 am

For baits any it doesnt make any difference

Lures though must be barbed
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bigt on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 pm

semi barbed for me
bigt
bigt

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't like using barbs at all except for holding bait fish on so for me it is barbless, crushed barbs and semi barbed.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Cobblemaster on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 pm

I use barbed all the way, the stress of pulling a fish out if its normal habitat is by far greater than the extra 1 sec to remove a barbed hook from a bone filled non-feeling mouth. Maybe the question should be who unhooks a fish in the water, rather than land, lift, take pics etc .... Very Happy
Cobblemaster
Cobblemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:36 pm

never use barbed hooks and never will. the damage they can do to a pike if it does get deep hooked is horrific. don't want to get into any arguments about the prose or cons of barbed/non barbed hooks, heard it all before, for me barbless all the time and will NEVER use barbed hooks.

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:21 pm

semi barbed
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 pm

You should never use barbed hooks.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 am

Crushed barbs for me. Cool

Just out of interest for the guys that use barbs, what do you do when fishing a pond / lake / river with rules that state barbless hooks only? or do you just avoid these places?
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:34 pm

stevecrm wrote:Crushed barbs for me. Cool

Just out of interest for the guys that use barbs, what do you do when fishing a pond / lake / river with rules that state barbless hooks only? or do you just avoid these places?

Ignore the rule,

Simply rules are there to make you think before you break them.

Barbs/barbless is a double edged sword, barbed people claim cause damage, thing is barbless are just as likely to damage fish just in a different way.

With lures barbless cause far more damage than barbed. No discussion no difference of opinion barbless hooks move penetrate deeper and subsequently re hook and tear more than a barbed pattern.
Baits you dont get the ssme effect but deep hooking with barbless has the potential to penetrate deeper and reach internal organs
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Barbed all the way. I've tried doubles, barbless, circles, singles....you name it and I always come back to fully barbed size 4s.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen abbott on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:45 pm

there are prose and cons for both barbless and barbed, but it is wrong to say barbless hooks are fish friendly.
If the rules state barbless i use them if not barbed all the time for me.

stephen abbott

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Barbed all the way. I've tried doubles, barbless, circles, singles....you name it and I always come back to fully barbed size 4s.
same here andy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawk1 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:54 am

It's a difficult choice . I tend to use barbless if i know there are many Jacks on the venue. If there is not or if there are not many i use barbed but with one of the barbed crushed . I just have had over the years had no difference in getting them on the bank and then one barb is a good starting point to unhook it with less damage.

Just my way of doing things Very Happy

Hawk1

Back to top Go down

Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs.... Empty Barbed Hooks

Post  noz on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 am

Many venues only allow barbless hooks, BUT, once you have had to go to Hospital to have a barbed hook removed, you too will go barbless for all time!!!! Noz.

noz

Back to top Go down

Barbed, semi barbed or crushed barbs.... Empty barbed hooks

Post  doug6364 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:32 pm

you ought to be more careful ol chap !! lol!
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum