need advice about carp / rods etc

Go down

need advice about carp / rods etc  Empty need advice about carp / rods etc

Post  doug6364 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 pm

ive pretty much always fished for pike with the odd very occasional bit for carp. my biggest is an 18lb mirror caught on a 9ft fibreglass leger rod bout 22yrs ago. ( purely a fluke, i stumbled across 6 carp feeding close in under a bush, biggest i reckon was over 30lb !, so i dropped a couple of grains of corn down there, and voila ! )

i brought 2 shimano perfection 21/4lb tc rods years ago and have never used them. would like to start a bit of carping and wondered if anyone can give advice on what the capabilities of these rods are . how heavy the maximum lead etc.

any advice gratefully received as i really am green where carping is concerned.

cheers lads. Very Happy
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

need advice about carp / rods etc  Empty Re: need advice about carp / rods etc

Post  tackle tart on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 pm

These were brought out around the mid to late 90,s and are not a bad rod at all .
Firstly just in case any one doesn,t know what TC means and i,m sure everyone does test curve means it takes that amount of weight to get the rod tip to 90 degrees ,and the optimum casting weight for a 2 1/4lb tc rod would be 2oz to 2 1/2 oz , however this will depend on the rod being either through or fast action ..

Now there is a lot of hype with rods and you see it all the time and tc,s on rods have gone up and some times is used to sell you a bigger tc rod for casting further which in a lot of anglers cases is not necessary for the size of waters they fish ,so this has to be considered when buying rods ,
now i,ve not used these rods so i can,t say what there capabilities are for max casting distance but at the end of the day it will only go as far as YOU are capable of casting
i use Diawa 3lb tc TOURNAMENTS AKN,s and this is for long range work and fishing weedy and snaggy waters or big foreign waters but if i was on a medium size water lets say five 5 to 6 acres and was clear of weed and snags i,d use lighter rods in my case these would be my custom built 2lb tc Harrison Balista,s .

so they will be more than adequate but look at the waters you are fishing as you might want to up grade but this will be down to where you are fishing and whether its snaggy or heavily weedy
Also if you are going to chuck big leads out again i wouldn,t recommend a lighter rods

i hope this is of helps

tackle tart
tackle tart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

need advice about carp / rods etc  Empty need advice about carp / rods etc

Post  doug6364 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:40 pm

cheers TT for the post. i will give them a blast at some stage after the pike season. Very Happy

doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:47 pm

This is a bit more complexed to answer than just say yes they are ok to use .or no they are not!!
so i,ll try and explain the fundamental differences between pike and carp rods

There is a difference between pike and carp rods and you should consider a few things before you choose the rod for either pike or carp fishing .
As we are talking about pike and carp i,ll try and explain .first thing to think about when choosing a rod is the test curve these are the same for both pike and carp.
But what is different is the baits being used and a half mackerel weighs a hell of a lot more than a boiie so the rod action has to be thought about too so this means the pike rod will be overloaded with bait on rig , so a pike rods needs to be a lot stiffer than a carp rod .
Now you could use a carp rod and many anglers do but most carp rods have a softer tip and with this softer tip and stiff butt section you are more than likely going to pull the hooks out of the baits as the fast build up of speed through the rod to the tip is just to much
A proper rod builder would probably be able to explain this better but carp rods are built more with softer tips and a stiffer butt sections this allows a more accelerated build up to the cast as its more designed around distance
Where as a pike rod the power needs to be built up more progressively or slower to cast heavier soft baits and this slower build up of power will then not pull the hooks from the bait (which we call cast offs ) as the tip will be a lot stiffer so the whole cast through the rods is slow
So a general purpose pike rod will have a test curve of between 2.5lb and 3.5lb TC with a tip that is not too soft to support a big bait with out being to bendy , and a action that is more the stiffer side of the through action needed

there is other variable that have to be consider which are the length of the rod and this will depend again where you are fishing as you don,t need a long rod when fishing from a boat but from a bank its needs the longer length for casting
, I don,t think the size of the rings really make any difference even with casting , except the tip eye does not want to be to small as float stops or stop knots need to pass through smoothly so really nothing smaller than 10 mm . and the butt ring does not want to be no closer than 24inches to the fixed spool so as long as the rest of rings are spaced correctly along the curve of the rods you should be sorted

I hope that explains what the difference is between the carp and pike rods

tackle tart
tackle tart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawk1 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:11 pm

After 40 odd years of fishing for pike and carp i can honestly say that Rods like reels really after the test curve make really little difference. Certainly not enough to worry about. The test curve is for me is 3lb. I think that covers most of your technical needs.
Reels are even less needed to be technical. Its just for storing line and again about distance with more line and that is it.

It's 90% about Line and end tackle IMO. Very Happy

Hawk1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:05 pm

The 2 and a quarter rods you mentioned will be more that suitable for any Carp you are likely to encounter in the UK. If you are going to be chucking boilies about 50 meters then a 2 oz lead will be fine, if you are going to attach bags of pellets then you need to ensure you dont kick the arse out of the of the bag size.
matt859
matt859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

need advice about carp / rods etc  Empty need some advice

Post  doug6364 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Good to hear another view Matt. To be honest i think they may be a bit light, but ive been using one with a 3oz lead and sliding float to plumb the depth at the water i fish for Pike. I must say, it casts great but obviously there isnt a ptfe bag attached with bait in.

Will give them a go sometime and see what happens. i dont want to cast to the horizon or anything as i like margin fishing really ( or reasonably close in anyway ). Cheers. Very Happy
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm

I would say that a 3 oz lead is too big for those rods, I reckon you would get a greater distance if you used a smaller 2 oz lead and got a full compression from the rod on the cast.
matt859
matt859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

need advice about carp / rods etc  Empty need advise about carp rods etc

Post  doug6364 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I reckon you are probably right Matt. 2 oz would go a lot further i guess. Will give it a go and see how they perform.

thanks lads for the advice / guidance. Very Happy
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:54 am

Them 2 1/4 Perfections aint a bad rod, used them a bit when I was younger as my dad and brother had one each, think this was back in about 95/96 sorta time.

They'll be a mint rod for you to do some carping with, providing your not expecting to cast big pva bags/stringers a long way they'll serve you right, and may well give you a decent contribution to a different set up should the need arise.

Pikey_Mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

need advice about carp / rods etc  Empty need some advice/ carp rods

Post  doug6364 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Yer, i think ive had them since mid 90's Pikey mike. Lovely looking rods. they sort of glow a reddish colour in the sun . Gorgeous to look at and i would imagine, quite collectable now...........Maybe !

Will see how they perform before i decide to upgrade or not.

cheers. Very Happy
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down