boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated

Go down

boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated Empty boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated

Post  plantsbrook on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I have always toyed with the idea of using a boat - mostly on the river to access areas off bounds - but wouldnt know where to start really - aside from the boat -do you need a permit to use one on the river? or insurance? what type of boats are best for piking on a river - 2 /3 persons at most... can you get one this size to go on roofrack or would this need a trailer ?

anyone taken the plunge (if you excuse the pun of course) - and was it worth the effort?

cheers in advance gents
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated Empty Re: boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:51 pm

plantsbrook wrote:I have always toyed with the idea of using a boat - mostly on the river to access areas off bounds - but wouldnt know where to start really - aside from the boat -do you need a permit to use one on the river? or insurance? what type of boats are best for piking on a river - 2 /3 persons at most... can you get one this size to go on roofrack or would this need a trailer ?

anyone taken the plunge (if you excuse the pun of course) - and was it worth the effort?

cheers in advance gents
just gettin into the boat fishing pal myself been on a lake 3 times up to now and on the river once the lake fishing for me is the easy one but the river there is a lot to take in ie mehods .flow anchour or not its a learning curve mate but still enjoying it .I think the more you do the better it gets discovering something differant everytime i go out........
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated Empty Re: boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm

I have been boat fishing for years it's a learning curve everytime I go out. I fish on lochs and have a converted 14 ft Fletcher. I have opened the deck but have a conector in the floor for an umbrella. I used to build boats many years ago so improvements for me have been easy with fiberglass and cataloy. Most places you fish ask for insurance(public liability) if your engine is over 6 horse. A boat this size won't go on your roof rack and an 8 ft tender hasnt got space for 2/3 people to fish. If you are picking a bigger boat pay alot of attention to the trailer aswell, bearings are about 15 quid a hub and need greased n changed regular if you in and out of eater. No matter what hull you have if it cathedral or dory you can marine ply the floor and create an open fishing platform. PM me if you want to talk about them somemore trying to write this on ma phone and it's annoying LOL. Would try boating a few times before you spend your hard earned cash on one. Also if fishing a club owned stretch of river even from a boat you need a ticket.

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 pm

plantsbrook wrote:I have always toyed with the idea of using a boat - mostly on the river to access areas off bounds - but wouldnt know where to start really - aside from the boat -do you need a permit to use one on the river? or insurance? what type of boats are best for piking on a river - 2 /3 persons at most... can you get one this size to go on roofrack or would this need a trailer ?

cheers in advance gents

We have a few boats between us and two options that would suit your needs are a ten foot sniper or portabote. Insurance isnt always an issue as every water we fish doesnt require us to be insured. 3 people is a no go though two can fish safely though from them

As for fishing clubs id suggest you look at tidal limits as to the upper tidal limit clubs landowners etc have no control over fishing (goes back to magna carta and common land).

An easy way to try boats is to hire one if your i my neck of the woods i can point you to a couple of places to have a look
noodle
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantsbrook on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 pm

cheers gents; some good food for thought. I didnt realise i would need a ticket regardless of fishing from a boat though!
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

boat fishing - some advice would be appreciated Empty boat fishing

Post  doug6364 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Always wear a life jacket, and go with someone who can help with the anchor / weights , reeling in other rods if you get a take, and also, if you did fall in, someone to pull you out again ! Hope you dont fall in though, cause i talk from Experience, ITS BLOODY FREEZING !! lol! lol!
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Yeah unfortunately you still need permission to fish river stretches but I have heard what noodles talking about with tidal waters. Never bothered with the boat on the rivers so have never been in the situation where I've needed to proper know. Also be aware of where your venturing especially if it's fir the first time on a water big rocks sunken trees shallow bars are all hazards and unfortunately yer fishfinder be mounted at the back it's warned you about 14 ft to late.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down