PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

live bait set up?

+4
doug6364
matt859
hurricane
tomthepiker
8 posters

Go down

live bait set up? Empty live bait set up?

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:04 pm

good evening everyone qot question bout live baits basically how do i set a rig up for one is it just as simple as float-wire trace-hook fish through the lip? excuse my ignorance never done it before Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

live bait set up? Empty Re: live bait set up?

Post  hurricane Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 pm

This is a very simple rig for free-roving (small) livebaits,a stopknot above the float allows easy change of depth.
You can liphook your baits but I prefer to hook them just below the dorsal.
The starlight is an option when I fish for Zander.
It is also effective for suspending small deadbaits.
For bigger baits a two hook rig will be required.
live bait set up? 00410

Last edited by hurricane on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
hurricane
hurricane

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Yeah my set up is not to different to Peters above. Keep the rig as simple as you can, less tangles that way. Make sure that you are allowed to use livebait at your chosen venue first and even if you are you need to be aware that other anglers will be watching you and they might not have the same views on livebaits, NOT that it should stop you or anything. Livebaiting is a good tactic to use so give it a go and see for yourself.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

live bait set up? Empty live bait set up

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:36 pm

If you really wanna catch pike and loads of them Tom, look at my thread for "DOUBLE LIVVIES". its a deadly rig using a normal snap tackle trace ( 2 hooks ) and lip hooking two livvies one on each hook. SIMPLES ! TRUST ME M8, IT IS DEADLY. Small roach the best to use.

Ive just had a private message from one of the forum users who has been using this for a while now, and he cant believe how good this rig is ,and he,s just had a PB at 23 lb !!!!

I use a thin pencil float set up as follows........., stop knot at top, bead, float, bead, small bullet lead, bead, then quick link swivel, then clip trace onto quick link. Line goes through the middle of the float. Being thin, theres no resistance at all. DO NOT USE WEIGHTED FLOATS !!! Bad bite indication can result in a deep hooked fish m8.

Last edited by doug6364 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

quality info as usual guys thanks the water that im going on sell live baits your only allowed to use theres and there little trout i think, doug il give it a read and try it out let you know how i get on wont be for bout another week tho Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Ok Tom, no worries, just set it up as ive posted above. I will eat my hat if it doesnt work for you. Very Happy
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 pm

ok mate just read your thread seems to good to not try it im sure your hat will be safe Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  bigt Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:58 pm

doug6364 wrote:If you really wanna catch pike and loads of them Tom, look at my thread for "DOUBLE LIVVIES". its a deadly rig using a normal snap tackle trace ( 2 hooks ) and lip hooking two livvies one on each hook. SIMPLES ! TRUST ME M8, IT IS DEADLY. Small roach the best to use.

Ive just had a private message from one of the forum users who has been using this for a while now, and he cant believe how good this rig is ,and he,s just had a PB at 23 lb !!!!

I use a thin pencil float set up as follows........., stop knot at top, bead, float, bead, small bullet lead, bead, then quick link swivel, then clip trace onto quick link. Line goes through the middle of the float. Being thin, theres no resistance at all. DO NOT USE WEIGHTED FLOATS !!! Bad bite indication can result in a deep hooked fish m8.

trust doug with double livebait rig ive had near 20 pike now in under 10 trips including my new pb at 23-02 since he told me about it.give it a try you wont be disappointed
bigt
bigt

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Hope my hat will be safe Tom cause i,m rather sleek on top and feel the cold ! lol!

Meant to say that i use rubber float stops, not a stop knot anymore. Put two rubber stops on the line/ braid otherwise the float will push them up and you wont be fishing at the depth you set it up as.

Another little tip for you Tom. Very Happy
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 pm

I use pretty much the same set up apart from i prefer the hollow bung type floats like the ones greys/fox make, simply because they support a livie better than the pencil types.

Only other rig i would use is whn fishing close to a snag or over deep carpet weed where i would use a sunken float paternoster rig. Prevents the livie heading off into the snags or burying into the weed.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:06 pm

thats what im hoping went to a water near me there is a certain part where the bait fish huddle together and there has been sighting of a big girl roaming around went there the other day tried all normal methods apart from livvies nothing happened so im thinking need something outside the box haha so this could be perfect for it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ok il get some rubber floats if it works il be sending doug some beers haha
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Just cleared the fridge ready for my truck load of beers Tom !! lol!

Yep, sunken float paternoster is a good set up as it does stop the little buggers from tangling you up !
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:00 pm

I use similar set to doug when live baiting over the boader.. it works a treat.. deadly. Smile Smile ..
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:02 am

same as hurricane simply dose it ( love to watch a bobbin float and waiting for the disapperance lol )
If fishing a water where there may be a bit of hostility towards live baiting i use the secret rig which makes the liviy work a treat ? but i have never been able to see the guy who explained it to me so cannot be sure it's 100% correct but it dose require a little manufacture?
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down