deep hooked pike

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

deep hooked pike Empty deep hooked pike

Post  drew321 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 pm

i was out lure fishing earlier and i hooked into a stick, i got it above the water and i saw line attached to the stick, my lure and the stick shot back into the water pulling line from my reel, Shocked i wondered what the hell was going on then i saw a pike of around 13lbs surface, i somehow managed to get it on the bank to find that there was a ledger and a rig in its mouth i managed to get most of it out but there was 1 treble deep down inside its stomach i didn't know what to do so i held it in the water until was strong enough to swim out of my hands.

how would i deal with that situation in the future??
drew321
drew321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

deep hooked pike Empty Re: deep hooked pike

Post  matt859 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:03 pm

you are going to get a lot of answers to this and not wishing to get into a huge debate about what is right and what is wrong I will tell you what I would have done.

Pull on the trace until the treble is visable and then cut as much out as I could in a very short space of time, let the pike have a breather in the margins and repeat the process untill it was all clear. If the treble was not going to budge and was not visable then I would have cut the trace as far down as I could and then just let it go.

If other pike anglers were present I would have asked for help too even though ive been fishing for pike for years.

Look at it this way it had a better chance of survival after you freed it from the trailing line and stick anyway and doing what you did must have helped it in some way. Well done.
matt859
matt859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hurricane on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:26 pm

In situations like this,if you don"t feel confident enough to remove the trace its best left alone,remove any trailing line/leads etc but leave the trace intact,if the fish is still able to feed and gets caught by an experienced angler it will be easier to remove if he has something to get hold of.
hurricane
hurricane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I agree with that. Conventional wisdom is that the trace should be cut but if it is cut then there's no possibility of anyone removing the hooks.
The likelihood is that any tackle left in a fish will kill it unfortunately. I gather some work has been done on muskie in the states and they discovered that the mortality is almost 100%
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

told ya didnt I Very Happy
matt859
matt859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:25 pm

i would of done same as you drew not alot you can do in those circumstances
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Perhaps we could do what the EE'S do.................................cook it on the bank !!

Seriously though, what Matt has said, i pretty much agree with.
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm

no doug they only cook the really healthy fish Laughing
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

yh they do only get the healthy ones, mind you saying that this pike was scrapping hard and i reckon it was E.E`s that done the damage otherwise the pike wouldn't have been attached to a stick i think it was a bank stick that the pike managed to pull out of the ground but i did my best just couldn't get the last hook out from the gut Sad
drew321
drew321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:58 pm

ye ees or a numpty, but you did all you could mate id done same, better than just leaving it Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:03 pm

could have been numptys ether way its a shame and i hope i never come across this again, someone did say to me once that you can actually turn a pikes stomach inside out to retrieve hooks, but this is something that i would never try as i would probably do more damage than good.
drew321
drew321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:37 pm

ye you can iv never done it, probably never will until im more expirienced
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:27 am

same here i can read about it as much as i like but id like to see it done in front of me a few times before i try it and still be talked through it lol
drew321
drew321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Putting gentle pressure on the trace till the hooks are accesable. .turning them out then gently pushing the stomach lining back down. ... yes it can be done. . But u did the best possible in a bad situation
onetoner
onetoner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 am

Eric Edwards wrote:I agree with that. Conventional wisdom is that the trace should be cut but if it is cut then there's no possibility of anyone removing the hooks.
The likelihood is that any tackle left in a fish will kill it unfortunately. I gather some work has been done on muskie in the states and they discovered that the mortality is almost 100%

from what i read if its the same thing mr lumb posted that research was done with huge singles something like 5/0 and upwards circle hooks

best bit of advice i can offer take the swivel off the wire and only use fine wire bronzed hooks, plus if one treble is visible and you really are unable to get the second out for whatever reason then yes cut the trace as close the the hook you cant get at so you wont be leaving two hooks and 18 inches upwards of wire for the fish to deal with, or a swivel to get caught up in lost mono/weed/rocks.
noodle
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 pm

noodle wrote:
Eric Edwards wrote:I agree with that. Conventional wisdom is that the trace should be cut but if it is cut then there's no possibility of anyone removing the hooks.

from what i read if its the same thing mr lumb posted that research was done with huge singles something like 5/0 and upwards circle hooks

best bit of advice i can offer take the swivel off the wire and only use fine wire bronzed hooks, plus if one treble is visible and you really are unable to get the second out for whatever reason then yes cut the trace as close the the hook you cant get at so you wont be leaving two hooks and 18 inches upwards of wire for the fish to deal with, or a swivel to get caught up in lost mono/weed/rocks.
is there not a purpose made disgorger that follows the trace right inside the fish that clamps around the treble sure i seen it advertised somewhere mybe it was in a american mag cant remember where i seen it now
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Its a John Roberts deep throat disgorger Stubbo. A few other companys do the same design now. Cant say that ive ever needed to use one , although i do have one in the rucksack if needed.

It doesnt clamp around the treble, its a wedge / round shaped end which is wider than the trebles. It has a slot which goes over the shank. You push down and its supposed to remove the trebles by you keeping the trace taught
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm

doug6364 wrote:Its a John Roberts deep throat disgorger Stubbo. A few other companys do the same design now. Cant say that ive ever needed to use one , although i do have one in the rucksack if needed.
yes think thats the one you dont here people mentioning them maybe we should all carry one just in case only had one fish deep hooked in all the years fishing it was a desperate situation but i did manage to get them out but it took a while
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Thinking back, i have attempted to use it once, but i found it a bit of job to use really. I got the trebles out the usual way in the end.

You can get them at most tackle shops lads if you want one. £ 6 approx. worth it, and it may get you out of a muddle at some stage !!
doug6364
doug6364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:45 pm

I carry one myself, not in case I get a deep hooked fish but in case I come across a fish that's swallowed a cracked off bait. There's a bit of a trick to using them though. If you simply dislodge the top treble and then try to get the bottom one out you inevitably push the top treble back down the throat due to the softness/elasticity of the pike's throat tissue. You need to cut off all the points of the top treble as soon as they are visible, then when you go for the lower treble the top one doesn't snag again.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:I carry one myself, not in case I get a deep hooked fish but in case I come across a fish that's swallowed a cracked off bait. There's a bit of a trick to using them though. If you simply dislodge the top treble and then try to get the bottom one out you inevitably push the top treble back down the throat due to the softness/elasticity of the pike's throat tissue. You need to cut off all the points of the top treble as soon as they are visible, then when you go for the lower treble the top one doesn't snag again.
that was my next question how to use it ie bypassing the first treble i have come across a lot of pike over the years with deep hooks in them have managed to sort them out but not all of them
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:37 pm

I have one, only ever had to use it twice.. On fish I've caught with hooks deep hooked.
Not the easiest tool to manage to get them out,

But this problem of deep hooked pike been around year's, even with all the info around today, but I think it's a problem that will continue, sadly there are a few anglers who seem ingronant to the welfare of the fish.. Exclamation
welsh piker
welsh piker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 pm

this is the first time iv had to deal with a deep hooked pike but i mite have to get me one of those disgorgers and yh i agree alot of fishermen do seem really ignorant towards pike Sad
drew321
drew321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Don't be too quick to condemn. Traces you find in pike are usually the result of people cracking off or losing their gear on a snag. There's much you can do to prevent this but all of us have problems from time to time. Who hasn't had a nick in their line that they've failed to spot for instance?
One thing that's happened to me several times over the years is a bite-off well up the line. This comes about when a pike simply swims across your line with its mouth open and slices through it with its teeth.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drew321 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 pm

yes but this pike eric was a perfectly tied knot to a stick Sad wasn't no bite off unfortunately
drew321
drew321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next