Are Pike still spawning in Scotland?????

Go down

Are Pike still spawning in Scotland????? Empty Are Pike still spawning in Scotland?????

Post  chrisyw1987 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Can anyone tell me if Pike are still Spawnin g in Scotland??? Me and a friend where Piking at loch tummel at a good spot but had no luck we think it might be because the pike are still spawning maybe??
chrisyw1987
chrisyw1987

Back to top Go down

Are Pike still spawning in Scotland????? Empty Re: Are Pike still spawning in Scotland?????

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 am

Some are yes. This freakish weather didn't help. 2 weeks ago it was snowing up my bit.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Are Pike still spawning in Scotland????? Empty Re: Are Pike still spawning in Scotland?????

Post  greg on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:37 am

hi chris. it might have something to do with the amount of pike being killed and taken home by some people.
i have seen alot of them killed by people while i am on the other side of the loch. mostly small jacks to be caught now.

the lochs not what it use to be.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm

I doubt that Greg. Tummel's a massive bit of water and I think it highly unlikely that any amunt of fishing for the table would a knock-on effect.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm

aw right andy. i know what your saying, and to an extent your right. it was netted last yr, that section of waters not the same now, sadly.
theres some parts where good sized pike were in good numbers. but either harder to catch or went home for a trophy.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 am

Netting probably was the biggest contributing factor in this case and I'm glad you pointed it out, since it hadn't occurred to me, to be perfectly honest.

Waters like the Tummel are always hard to really calibrate from one year to the next, firstly due to their sheer size but also other variables, like the movements of migratory fish from one year to the next. Take that one alone. On an enclosed water, it only takes perhaps an accurate fish-count on a given year and some reasonably accurate fish-management skills to predict with reasonable certainty, what should or shouldn't be in the water, for years afterwards.

I'm not suggesting Tummel isn't open to abuse but you catch my drift. An ever changing environment is extremely difficult to monitor with any real degree of accuracy. Even with the best fish-management, a water like Tummel will 'come and go' as it were.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum