PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you get started pike fishing?

+2
noodle
Andy Webster
6 posters

Go down

How did you get started pike fishing? Empty How did you get started pike fishing?

Post  Andy Webster Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

I tagged along with a couple of mates during the christmas holidays (1988). My god it was cold! I was not prepared in any way for sitting outside all day in the winter. Pike were the first fish that I properly fished for. I never had a bit bashers apprenticeship.

Some of you might have read this article before but I have converted it onto the new website.

Linky

Andy Webster Very Happy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How did you get started pike fishing? Empty Re: How did you get started pike fishing?

Post  noodle Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 pm

i spent my childhood fascinated by water, fishing came naturally and the dam/shakespeare catalogues of the mid 80's had great pics of pike so i had to catch one. managed it in 86-87 on my dads milbro green ghille with a dam pirate 3 reel 8lb black sylcast and an intrepid plug, its since snowballed a little Laughing

ive fished many places if you take the lure fishing alone ive covered from jon o groats to porthleven (as far south as i can think of)

i dont get a great deal of time now with kids and work so the lures are the ultimate way to catch pike
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How did you get started pike fishing? Empty Re: How did you get started pike fishing?

Post  Pilley Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:42 am

Ive been fishing since the age of 4, and been hooked ever since! As for pike...

I remember the 1st pike I ever had was when I was about 6 I went to the tackle shop with my dad and we were getting some maggots when out of the corner of my eye i saw all these bright colored shiny things hanging up on the wall, at the time I didn't have a clue what they were but of course I now know them as Lures, the ones I was looking at in particular were spoons. Anyways me dad told me what they were and said ill tell ya what ill buy ya a pack and we'll give them a go. Later that day down the thames I was there casting out a blue and silver spoon and suddenly the rod arked over, me dad laughed and said id prob hooked the bottom, well he soon stopped laughing when that bottom was flapping around in the shallow margins, only about 2lb but my 1st ever pike, and tbh prob my 1st ever fish over a pound. One of them true memorable fish, and one of my earliest fishing memories, well other than my 1st ever trip full stop. Funny thing Is ive still got that very spoon in my collection.

After that one I had the odd one here and there throughout the years but never seriously got into the whole pike thing, Tench and chub were my species of choice as I got bit older.

Well now im an all rounder and enjoy fishing for most species and when winter comes there is nothing I like more than to sit back and watch a bung slip under the surface of the water. My good mate shane got me into the piking more seriously around 4 years ago now roughly, Id said id only caught them on lures or by accident before so he took me out dead-baiting for them that 1st winter targeting them we caught literally 100s, mainly small 4-5lbers with the odd scraper double but it was good fishing and now their one of my main species. Smile
Pilley
Pilley

Back to top Go down

Post  dougie Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 pm

A mate took me out and my first pike was 13lb from then till now every time I catch a pike I feel the same excitement as I did that day ,When the alarm beeps I could have a 3 or 30 lb on,Fantastic predator and deserves the same respect.
dougie
dougie

Back to top Go down

Post  blairleishman Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 am

i tagged along with my uncle when i was about 9 was standing there all day, didnt know what to do and then decided to use a rubber lure, and cast it out and finally after about 2 hours of just casting out, i caught a wee 0.5 ounce jack was over the moon lol.
blairleishman
blairleishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I caught one by accident about 30 years ago.

Reeling in a small roach, 4lb line with 1.5lb hooklink and Mr Pike decided he wanted it for dinner.

All hell broke loose, I absolutely sh4t meself and eventually I had a 12lber in the landing net. See, I did listen and take notice about setting up the clutch correctly Very Happy

A few Winters trying to beat my PB didn't work and when I left school and became interested in the other things in life (girls, booze, cigs, motorbikes mainly Twisted Evil ) fishing got forgotten about. Then about 10 years ago the fishing bug bit again and I've never looked back until this last year when for some reason I've only fished twice in the last 11 months.

This Winter I'll make up for lost time hopefully.

Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum