Circle hooks.

Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Circle hooks.

Post  Bryanmcdonald on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I have only fished with luers so far but want to try dead bating, why do we use 2 sets of trebbles on the bait, cant we use a large circle hook to do the job, I am new to pike so I am asking because I can understand why people dont use a set up like that.


Last edited by Bryanmcdonald on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
Bryanmcdonald
Bryanmcdonald

Posts : 8
Join date : 2012-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  steve.w on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Bryan,we use two trebles because of the length of the bait,a long mackerel or herring needs one in the tail and one in the flank,if you are using a small roach or sprat then one treble will do.I liked using VB double hooks in the past for small baits.I have never tried circle hooks so I cant speak from experience,but I think you would get a lot of dropped runs.They are used for carp and sea fishing,fish that suck in a bait differently to a pike.And I believe that the fish always get hooked in the scissors,A lot of pike anglers think that hooking a pike in that position is not good for the pike,but then again what hook hold is good for them?
As a pike grabs the bait it usually just grips it and swims off with it in the front of it's jaws,so if you wait for it to tighten up and hook itself chances are it will just drop the bait.But fishing is all about trying something different,so give it a go and let us know what happens.You could try it on one rod and the usual set up on the other and compare results.Good luck.
steve.w
steve.w

Posts : 93
Join date : 2012-03-18
Age : 65
Location : North Nottinghamshire.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  noodle on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:02 am

without going into all the rigmarole dont use circles if yo want to land pike good old fashioned singles work better as you need to strike into pike to set the hooks you dont strike with circles
two trebles are right for average deads but singles will work with smaller baits and lives

if your fishing for cats, perch etc then circles do work but not for pike for me anyway sorry
noodle
noodle

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2008-08-29
Age : 44
Location : nwest england

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  Bryanmcdonald on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:36 pm

I bought the angling times last week, the one with the free preadotor magazine in it. In it mick Brown is sugesting that many anglers are moveing away from the trebble hook rigs and useing single hooks.
Its just a pure concidence that I started this thread and a week later I see an article about it.

I have been fishing for pike three times now, caught seven all on luers, all pretty small, largest about 3Lbs.
I have never bait fished for pike, only luers.
Bryanmcdonald
Bryanmcdonald

Posts : 8
Join date : 2012-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  steve.w on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Is it a coincidence Brian?,or are you just ahead of the pack Laughing .It shows you are thinking about your fishing and looking for different techniques,and it's that that will put you more fish on the bank.But using single hooks will result in dropped runs,as Mick Brown admitted,and circle hooks are as we have explained are not a straight forward single hook.So keep thinking,maybe forget about circle hooks and good luck with the larger pike that I'm sure will come your way.
steve.w
steve.w

Posts : 93
Join date : 2012-03-18
Age : 65
Location : North Nottinghamshire.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  Bryanmcdonald on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks, I dont think I am ahead of the pack, but I have done lots of fishing for large mouth bass and catfish, and I have met some really good fishers over the years.
Best lesson I have been taught was always to think outside the box.
I try to keep things as simple as I can. I read as much as I can and I always look for the small things that make the day run smooth.
I try to read the water, I will sit for a reasonalble amount of time just watching, even a swans feather blowing across the top of the water is something I will sit and watch and see what happens.
The single hook, yes I will try that some time soon.
Bryanmcdonald
Bryanmcdonald

Posts : 8
Join date : 2012-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  plantsbrook on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 am

Has anyone on here actually used single circle hooks? i met quite a knowledgeable piker yesterday (yes, he did run a tackle shop, so i'm open minded about it!), he was adamant they are the dogs danglies, i'm very tempted to get some and test them out, they apparently avoid (in most cases) any risk of deep hooking, with most hooking in the scissors. they were mounted on a new type of soft feel braided material suitable for pike.

i would be interested to see if anyone else has tried them.

plantsbrook
plantsbrook

Posts : 64
Join date : 2012-01-02
Location : lowdham - nottinghamshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  stubbo on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:43 am

plantsbrook wrote:Has anyone on here actually used single circle hooks? i met quite a knowledgeable piker yesterday (yes, he did run a tackle shop, so i'm open minded about it!), he was adamant they are the dogs danglies, i'm very tempted to get some and test them out, they apparently avoid (in most cases) any risk of deep hooking, with most hooking in the scissors. they were mounted on a new type of soft feel braided material suitable for pike.

i would be interested to see if anyone else has tried them.

i know that the eastern people use them on the lines and on that progam where them yanks catch them big swordfish on long lines think they use big circle hooks myself i dont think they have a place in pike fishing unless your catching them to eat................ Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
stubbo
stubbo

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2010-01-14
Age : 56
Location : Warrington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  plantsbrook on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm

i'm guessing they use them because they don't need to 'strike' into the fish to hook it? (i cant imagine they are bothered about risking gut hooking them)

the main thing that appeals to me is the much more delicate nature of using a single hook, particularly on pressured waters, with the reduced deep hooking another bonus.
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

Posts : 64
Join date : 2012-01-02
Location : lowdham - nottinghamshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  stubbo on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:25 pm

plantsbrook wrote:i'm guessing they use them because they don't need to 'strike' into the fish to hook it? (i cant imagine they are bothered about risking gut hooking them)

the main thing that appeals to me is the much more delicate nature of using a single hook, particularly on pressured waters, with the reduced deep hooking another bonus.
i know where you coming from pal but when you think about it theres no delicate attic when a pike catches say a 8oz perch with all them spines it really is quite savage in my appinion trebles offer you a better chance of a hook up in all the mayhem .I honestly think a single hook would lead to more hooks being swallowed buts that just my appinion Very Happy i have gone down that road in the past but i soon came back to trebles all because of the pikes feeding habits and how it actually takes its prey and consumes it .................sorry mate got a bit deep there.Justgo on you tube look at all the underwater footage of a
feeding pike you will soon see how aggressive they can be so i dont think really there is a delicate way
stubbo
stubbo

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2010-01-14
Age : 56
Location : Warrington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  macawboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

I use circle hooks for all my zander, eel, and cat fishing.
Size 2 for zander size 4 for eels and size 1/0 for cats.
They are the vmc sureset circles and are sticky sharp and i get 20 for £2.99 off ebay.
Up to yet i have had no deep hooking issues except for one zander that was still a doddle to unhook.
I have caught several pike on them while fishing for zander and all have been hooked in the scissors.
I tried them for pike and like noodle said you don,t strike just let the fish run tighten up and just lean into the fish.
I hair rig the bait on so this helps the circle to take hold when you tighten up.
Problem is i was missing loads of runs when using large baits.
To increase the hook up rate you need to use smaller baits and let the run develop but this is definitely a no no when fishing for pike.
Don,t use them for pike any more but i think they may be ok for pike on a hair rigged kebab rig where you can tighten up immediately on first sign of a take.


Last edited by macawboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
macawboy
macawboy

Posts : 34
Join date : 2012-10-06
Location : Worksop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  stubbo on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 pm

macawboy wrote:I use circle hooks for all my zander eel and cat fishing.
Size 2 for zander size 4 for eels and size 1/0 for cats.
They are the vmc sureset circles and are sticky sharp and i get 20 for £2.99 off ebay.
Up to yet i have had no deep hooking issues except for one zander that was still a doddle to unhook.
I have caught several pike on them while fishing for zander and all have been hooked in the scissors.
I tried them for pike and like noodle said you don,t strike just let the fish run tighten up and just lean into the fish.
I hair rig the bait on so this helps the circle to take hold when you tighten up.
Problem is i was missing loads of runs when using large baits.
To increase the hook up rate you need to use smaller baits and let the run develop but this is definitely a no no when fishing for pike.
Don,t use them for pike any more but i think they may be ok for pike on a hair rigged kebab rig where you can tighten up immediately on first sign of a take.
thats the point i was trying to make because when anglers use single hooks for pike they leave it too long which can lead to deeply hooked fish trebles= more hook ups me thinks
stubbo
stubbo

Posts : 3600
Join date : 2010-01-14
Age : 56
Location : Warrington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Circle hooks. Empty Re: Circle hooks.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum