savage gear 3d eels 20cm

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

savage gear 3d eels 20cm

Post  plantsbrook on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:28 am

Has anyone tried these before? Read a good review on them and fancy giving them a shot, just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback first?
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: savage gear 3d eels 20cm

Post  robh107 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:54 pm

holy crap i just looked at them.... and just.... wow, definitely worth having. might even get some myself Wink
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:27 pm

been chucking them for the last week or so and had nowt on them ? but awsome action and i did have some perch smashing them
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Firstly, some might think it, but I don't work for Savage Gear.

The eels are spot on. I had a 21lb pike within half an hour of trying them out. I've since had numerous fish, including another good pike at 17lb not long after that 21 and tonight i've just had a 16lb pike.

The lure looks just like an eel and moves like one. The tail on it seems to dazzle and mesmerise the pike in to taking. The best thing about the real eel is you can work it very slowly over shallow water and it still works. The 21lb pike came out of two feet of water. Of course you can let it sink and use a sink and draw method or even try to slowly work it a more depth, which is easier to achieve if you change the jig head too a heavier version. It comes with something like a 12g jig head but if you stick a 17.5g jig on it goes much deeper easier, just keep it clear of the snags of course. It's a good addition to the lure collection and more importantly it's another lure to work in a different way. Personally I try to use lures that do different things to suit waters I'm fishing or on more familiar waters i have those different lures to cover every depth. The eel usually goes on first for a nice steady retrieve along the margins etc searching for a pike laying up.
marshman

View user profile http://riverpiker.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantsbrook on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 pm

marshman wrote:Firstly, some might think it, but I don't work for Savage Gear.

The eels are spot on. I had a 21lb pike within half an hour of trying them out. I've since had numerous fish, including another good pike at 17lb not long after that 21 and tonight i've just had a 16lb pike.

The lure looks just like an eel and moves like one. The tail on it seems to dazzle and mesmerise the pike in to taking. The best thing about the real eel is you can work it very slowly over shallow water and it still works. The 21lb pike came out of two feet of water. Of course you can let it sink and use a sink and draw method or even try to slowly work it a more depth, which is easier to achieve if you change the jig head too a heavier version. It comes with something like a 12g jig head but if you stick a 17.5g jig on it goes much deeper easier, just keep it clear of the snags of course. It's a good addition to the lure collection and more importantly it's another lure to work in a different way. Personally I try to use lures that do different things to suit waters I'm fishing or on more familiar waters i have those different lures to cover every depth. The eel usually goes on first for a nice steady retrieve along the margins etc searching for a pike laying up.

well, thats sold them to me! i'm going in search for some tomorrow then. which colours have you caught on?
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 pm

plantsbrook wrote:well, thats sold them to me! i'm going in search for some tomorrow then. which colours have you caught on?

Don't forget other lure anglers will have some other lure that works wonders for them. Don't go buying up every lure that everyone else catches on because you'll spend a fortune. Best tip is to get in among the fish and just try to have a few different lures that work the water best, eg different depths, steady retrieve, bright flashy retrieve etc. The pike will have it *whatever it is) if they're there and hungry!

Anyway to answer, I first bought the 20cm versions, black green and olive pearl. Caught the twenty on the olive pearl. I later purchased some 30cm versions in black green pearl and firetiger and caught the 17lb on the firetiger. Tonight I got the 16lber on the 30cm black green pearl. I've caught on all the eels I have. For future purchases I'll just stick to the rule of buying a natural looking lure and a bright coloured lure. At least then you know you can mix it up a bit and cover all bases. Still not got a 40cm eel yet. They look tempting but only come in singles while the smaller sizes come in packs of two.

Here's a review I wrote a while ago on them, hopefully it'll give you some help before you buy.
marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  plantsbrook on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 pm

marshman wrote:
plantsbrook wrote:well, thats sold them to me! i'm going in search for some tomorrow then. which colours have you caught on?

Don't forget other lure anglers will have some other lure that works wonders for them. Don't go buying up every lure that everyone else catches on because you'll spend a fortune. Best tip is to get in among the fish and just try to have a few different lures that work the water best, eg different depths, steady retrieve, bright flashy retrieve etc. The pike will have it *whatever it is) if they're there and hungry!

Anyway to answer, I first bought the 20cm versions, black green and olive pearl. Caught the twenty on the olive pearl. I later purchased some 30cm versions in black green pearl and firetiger and caught the 17lb on the firetiger. Tonight I got the 16lber on the 30cm black green pearl. I've caught on all the eels I have. For future purchases I'll just stick to the rule of buying a natural looking lure and a bright coloured lure. At least then you know you can mix it up a bit and cover all bases. Still not got a 40cm eel yet. They look tempting but only come in singles while the smaller sizes come in packs of two.

Here's a review I wrote a while ago on them, hopefully it'll give you some help before you buy.

cheers, great review, very helpfull.
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Just done another 15lb fish on the 30cm black eel again today. It seems the pike are just coming up from behind and taking the lure in one, no side hitting because the stinger treble seems to be always right down the throat. If you buy some eels, make sure you have some long tools for unhooking!
marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  plantsbrook on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:45 am

well, i've been to four tackle shops and each one has not got them in! if anyone knows any local to notts - let me know please !
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Try ebay mate Wink Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  plantsbrook on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:36 pm

adie1200 wrote:Try ebay mate Wink Very Happy Very Happy

yeah, i might have to resort to ebay, i wanted to have a look at some up close first though, going to try a few different sizes / colours.
plantsbrook

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi lads.
Never posted on here before, so hello to all Very Happy .
Just interested in why the smaller R/Eels seem more popular? Ie; the 20 & 30cm.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I had perch smashing them was virtually lifting them from the water so I have now cut the body in half and shortened the tail as I do not like using the stinger think its a little short but my modified one has great action still so need to get back on perch water to try it for them.
Welcome to forum you may be the guy I have been told to pm on another forum will have to see lol
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome Very Happy , it will be interesting to see how you go with the perch on the modified Eel.
I don't fish for perch, just pike just lures. But i do sometimes catch perch on pike lures by accident.
I rarely use the 20cm R/Eel, i do use the 30cm, but my favourite is the 40cm.
It just interests me that quite a lot of what i see on the forums re; Real Eels, tends to concentrate on the 2 smaller sizes.
Phil.
PS. Forgot to say Kell, there is a smaller 15cm Real Eel due out, January i "think", might save you cutting up your 20cm.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Seen the 15cm advertised at Glasgow I think but out of stock not surprising if they have not been released yet
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm

kell wrote:Seen the 15cm advertised at Glasgow I think but out of stock not surprising if they have not been released yet
I'm not 100%, but from memory i think it was Jan?
15cm is still pretty big, slim profile though, but i'm not clued up with perch. I've had perch on some fairly big lures, i caught one a couple of months back on a 10" lure, that's the biggest lure i've ever had a perch on.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I imagine the fact most people try the 20cm is just price Phil. I've only just got around to buying a couple of 40s to try and price was the factor. Looking forward to giving them a try on a trout water i've just been invited to fish at the end of the year.
marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 pm

I think you're right Paul, a few have mentioned the price of the 40cm to me.
I doubt it's down to size as they're easily castable on a 150g rated rod; a few lads struggle to get their head around pike taking a 17" lure too which could be a reason.
I was just interested to get a bit of feedback as to why the 20 & 30cm R/Eels seem more popular.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 am

I was just interested to get a bit of feedback as to why the 20 & 30cm R/Eels seem more popular.
Phil.[/quote]

because you get two, thay wont last forever. if it gets torn to bits, you have the other to fall back on.
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes Greg is right on that account too I'd say, that thought entered my head first time I bought them.

I've been informed today that the 40cm eels I purchased at 15.99 are now actually 13.99. A slightly better price than before.

Also to add, I'm not too fussed about the size all the time. My first eel was 20cm and first time out got me a 21lb pike. If there's a hungry pike it'll take any of the sizes.
marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:55 pm

marshman wrote:
Also to add, I'm not too fussed about the size all the time. My first eel was 20cm and first time out got me a 21lb pike. If there's a hungry pike it'll take any of the sizes.
Not sure i'd agree Paul.
Was it caught at dusk/dawn or in the dark? Mainly i mean lowlight conditions.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:58 pm

greg wrote:
because you get two, thay wont last forever. if it gets torn to bits, you have the other to fall back on.
Good point; could still put it down to the money really though, but i get what your saying.
Thanks.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Phil Blakey wrote:
greg wrote:
Good point; could still put it down to the money really though, but i get what your saying.
Thanks.
Phil.

dont take this the wrong way phil but, if you didnt advertise your captures via u tube, and other forms ie LAS. no one would know about them. its your efforts thats made the lure what it is.
many people awaited its release, me included. mostly because of what i and others seen you do with the lure. then thay wanted 15 quid for one, stuff that i'll buy the pack with two. Very Happy
just my thoughts bud. YOU helped sell alot of them due to your efforts Wink
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 am

Point taken Greg, i thought i'd ask on here with the hope of an honest unbiased answer ... which i've just got! Very Happy
Thank you and i haven't taken it the wrong way.
From what most are saying, it's just the price that puts the 20 & 30cm in front of the 40cm.
That's all i wanted to know.
Thanks again,
Phil.
PS. Forgot to say, & i know i've said it somewhere else, but 10+ years ago Dawgs were the same money, so i didn't think the Eels were too bad. Evidently not everyone agrees though.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Phil Blakey wrote:
marshman wrote:
Not sure i'd agree Paul.
Was it caught at dusk/dawn or in the dark? Mainly i mean lowlight conditions.
Phil.

You've far more experiences with them than I have mate. Yes it was a dusk (near enough) capture. I would say the pike reacted to the sound of the splash more than anything though.
marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top