PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

savage gear 3d eels 20cm

+8
Eric Edwards
greg
Phil Blakey
adie1200
marshman
kell
robh107
plantsbrook
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 Empty Re: savage gear 3d eels 20cm

Post  Phil Blakey Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi Paul.
A lot of bigger pike are caught in the dark, a lot are caught on subtle soft lures after dark too.
If a big pike has seen everything, basically if it's been fished for, then a soft subtle lure after dark is a good way to capture a big pike. Or any pike to be honest.
I've no idea what the water was like where you caught your 21lb pike, but i'm not surprised it was caught in lowlight conditions. I don't think lure size is as important in lowlight.
The important part at night for me is the tail action, silhouette, water displacement etc. I've had pike take the tails off soft dawg type lures at night, cast the lure back minus its tail and they've took it again and been caught, they can detect the water displacement off the front of the lure.
In daylight i'd be more confident using a bigger lure, to try and catch a bigger pike, i "think" you've more chance of a decent pike getting up after a lure, if it's a worthwhile mouthful. Plus there's a theory that pike don't always hit lures due to hunger/feeding, it's possible that pike could hit a big lure out of aggression or territoriality... can't prove it though! Laughing
It's worth a try with a big lure if nothing happens on more standard sized lures. Me and Bob were out with a pal of ours (Terry) on a canal a couple of years ago midday in mid winter, the water was gin clear. On a pretty featureless stretch there was a solitary barge moored up on the opposite bank, i tried a 19cm 4Play LipLure then a 16cm Deviator up against the barge but nothing. The biggest lure i had in my bag was a 30cm Alien Eel, 1st cast i had a mid double from beneath the barge.

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 2vt4chl

It's debatable why the pike took that particular lure after ignoring the 2 previous lures, but i honestly believe it was the size of the lure ... but again it's only a theory and very hard to prove. I "think" water clarity and water temperature played a part in that occurence too. But either way, i always carry a bigger lure of some sort.
It's an interesting subject.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:25 am

Very good post that, I wouldn't disagree with any of it. The pike in the water I'm currently fishing will hit big lures like they're going out of style but they won't look at a small lure. Most of the locals just don't have the tackle to be able to throw big lures so they're sticking to spoons and small crankbaits and catching nothing - I'm cleaning up!

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 188576_10151099176595940_210232904_n
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for that Phil, all seems a good theory to me. I've actually been toying with getting out in the dark since our days are so short. For now though I need to get some decent lighting as I don't want to be left in a pickle with a bad hook up and not being able to see properly. Only other problem is my water can be snaggy and all though I know where most are, in the dark it's a little different.

I've now got a couple of 40s and looking forward to giving them a shot. I've hardly been out at all last few weeks so a little session and a few fish would be welcome.

Read your blog Eric, good results mate. It actually reminded me that I'd told myself I need to get more mobile now and cover a bit more water rather than sticking to the easy access swims so thanks for that.
marshman
marshman

http://riverpiker.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Nice pike Eric & thanks Very Happy .
Paul.
I got a headlamp from the £1 shop recently, it's got 9 bulbs in it and takes 3 AA batteries. Doubt it will last long? But for £1 it's worth having a couple of them, gives off quite a beam, pretty bulky (like a miners headlamp Laughing ) but it's not too heavy .

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 34ycrjr

I put a bit of tape round the battery compartment to keep the water out, i'll get another now i've tried it out.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:15 pm

I have one similar but need to get a spare also. I remember finding it in the boot of the car still switched and I'm sure the last time I'd used it was a few days prior. Wish my phone battery lasted as long. Laughing

marshman
marshman

http://riverpiker.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm

as far as head lamps go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-Zoomable-CREE-LED-Headlight-Flashlight-Head-Lamp-5W-300Lm-/390455652696?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item5ae8f87158 cheap and very very bright Wink

Back to top Go down

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 Empty got some! Future Angling - Hawton, Notts

Post  plantsbrook Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

well, i managed to finally get hold of some today, by chance i found a tackle shop that i had never heard of before ' Future Angling' at Hawton, Newark run by a very knowledgeable gent called Tony, i'm glad i didn't buy them online, because i know i would have brought the 20cm version, which as it turned out i prefered the 30cm versions, got the natural and a firetiger colour to tryout.

price was good too - the 20cm versions are 8.99, the 30cm 12.99 (twinpack), he has a superb range of the savage gear kit in stock, far more than i have seen before (and i've visited a few recently looking Mad )

i'm not connected to this shop in anyway - but if you are in the area, its well worth a look.

He gave me a demo of some very supple trace wire, that looked like a cross between braid and a thin trace, combined with a circular hook! has / does anyone use this type stuff? i'm quite tempted to give it a whirl.
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm

that is a good price, was they on offer? i just got the twin pack today and paid £15.99 Evil or Very Mad
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 Empty future fishing, hawton near newark

Post  plantsbrook Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 pm

no, that was the standard price!, i was chuffed to have found this shop to be honest, just realised its called 'future fishing' (not angling as i initially said) -
all the lures i looked at were very well priced too.

edit ;
http://www.futurefishing.co.uk/index.php/pike_and_predator_fishing/soft_lures,__jelly_lures,_soft_4_play,_savage_gear_soft_lures,_storm_lures/?k=:6:185095:
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

Back to top Go down

Post  micpiker Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm

i cant imagine what rod the 'average' angler uses to throw the 150 gram large eel Neutral i used to use a 3lb carp rod but i snapped that. my 6'6 spinning rod is 10-40 grams and the rest of my rods are under 2lb so id need to buy a rod specifically to lob out such a huge lure.

whats everyone else using? i wouldntve thought everyone has a heavy lure rod

micpiker

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:21 pm

jerkbait rod Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 am

micpiker wrote:i cant imagine what rod the 'average' angler uses to throw the 150 gram large eel Neutral i used to use a 3lb carp rod but i snapped that. my 6'6 spinning rod is 10-40 grams and the rest of my rods are under 2lb so id need to buy a rod specifically to lob out such a huge lure.
whats everyone else using? i wouldntve thought everyone has a heavy lure rod
You'll need heavy tackle to throw big lures, i use a SG 8' MP-PRO 150g trigger grip rod to cast the 40cm Eels, coupled with a multiplier and heavy braid.
You've no choice really, if you want to throw big lures you'll have to buy a heavy set up, 150g isn't really that heavy, there are lures out there that weigh more.
Big lures will catch some decent pike though, so it's well worth investing in a heavy set up so you can fish decent sized lures.

savage gear 3d eels 20cm - Page 2 15dwca9

Phil.

Phil Blakey

Back to top Go down

Post  micpiker Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 pm

is this overkill? bit cheaper than an SG rod. ill also be targetting cats in the summer so would use for that too

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shimano-vengeance-uptide-rods~12971.html

micpiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I wouldn't use one myself; lengthwise it's fine for swimbaits, but it "might" be too heavy weightwise, remember you'll be holding, casting & working lures all the time you're out.
Casting weight is high, but it depends on the rods action.
Can't see a trigger on it which is better for lure fishing with a multiplier.
Can't comment on catfish i don't fish for them.
I use an 8' rod because all i'm doing is casting swimbaits with it and basically reeling them in, so i prefer a longer rod, in fact i'd be happy using a 10' or 11' rod for swimbaits.
If i use various lure types like jerkbaits etc i'll use a shorter rod. It's difficult to tap lures in on a downward stroke with a long rod.
If i were you i'd go for a 150g trigger grip jerkbait rod and get a multiplier, i'm not a fan of casting heavy lures with a fixed spool outfit. Some do it though and they're happy with it.
It's like anything else, the more you get into a sport the more tackle you end up owning, i only lure fish for pike and i have 4 set ups that i use regularly, 1 fixed spool and 3 multiplier. I do have a few older rods and reels that i've kept, sentimental reasons rather than practical Very Happy .
Phil.

Phil Blakey

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:07 pm

GAC. has Greys Prowla GS Jerkbait Rod for £25.00 up to 240gms. i dont think you can go wrong
with a rod like this. lifetime warranty. you could pick up a good C3 to go on it for around 50 quid job done. then i could sell you some gliders Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm

I think I've found my Xmas pressie from the Mrs.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm

i dont think you would go wrong with the rod bud. i have a greys, not that model. good rods.
thats a good price, i think the rrp is £65.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  micpiker Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm

good find ive told santa, thanks

micpiker

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:31 pm

micpiker wrote:good find ive told santa, thanks

was that while you were washing up Laughing
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  micpiker Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

greg wrote:

Shocked

supervising it you mean Laughing

micpiker

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm

micpiker wrote:
greg wrote:

Shocked

supervising it you mean Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing i say that to.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  plantsbrook Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:49 am

I finally managed to get out on sat for a few hours to test these out, mixed results to be honest, fished an overgrown (not really fished) gravel pit, not a touch on the eel colour, swapped to the firetiger type pattern, had a fish hit it on the first cast, but didn't hook it! not a huge fish - around 5lb, he hung on to the tail section for a bit then let go when he realised it was not edible, had a fish around 8lb then engulf the lure completely about an hour later (well hooked). finished the day off with another 'tail grabber' - again another small jack that again let go quite quickly.

so, my observations so far -IMHO the weight on the jig head could do with being a bit heavier (i'm going to tinker with that in a bit), the stinger treble is not long enough, and could do with being at least a third the way down the flexible tail, although i'm not sure how this will damage the thinn tail bit. (has anyone got any ideas on this one? thinking about glue or cable ties)

I did like the action of it though. I changed the lure for 'one last cast' (about 20) for a jointed savage gear lure in a rainbow trout type pattern, managed another fish within a few casts around a sunken tree. Certainly not the worst three hours i have spent fishing, two landed, two lost.
plantsbrook
plantsbrook

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Tried mine today for the first time, didn't fool any pike, but a passer by said "are you fishing for pike" I said yes, and he said "I thought so by what's left of the eel on the end of your line" didn't want to embarrass him by saying its only called a "reel eel" fool
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 pm

just got two of the 40cm eels loose and ready to fish. only had one pike on the 20cm eel

lets see if i catch more on the 40cm
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

plantsbrook wrote:I finally managed to get out on sat for a few hours to test these out, mixed results to be honest, fished an overgrown (not really fished) gravel pit, not a touch on the eel colour, swapped to the firetiger type pattern, had a fish hit it on the first cast, but didn't hook it! not a huge fish - around 5lb, he hung on to the tail section for a bit then let go when he realised it was not edible, had a fish around 8lb then engulf the lure completely about an hour later (well hooked). finished the day off with another 'tail grabber' - again another small jack that again let go quite quickly.

so, my observations so far -IMHO the weight on the jig head could do with being a bit heavier (i'm going to tinker with that in a bit), the stinger treble is not long enough, and could do with being at least a third the way down the flexible tail, although i'm not sure how this will damage the thinn tail bit. (has anyone got any ideas on this one? thinking about glue or cable ties)

I did like the action of it though. I changed the lure for 'one last cast' (about 20) for a jointed savage gear lure in a rainbow trout type pattern, managed another fish within a few casts around a sunken tree. Certainly not the worst three hours i have spent fishing, two landed, two lost.
lhink you might spoil the action if you hook it in the tail part had afish out yesterday first cast and lost 2 other fish only fished for a hour on the right venue think these will be awsome fish catchers probably on a shallow venue above weed dont think you need alot of wieght on them me thinks
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2