FOX BAIT POPPERS

Go down

FOX BAIT POPPERS Empty FOX BAIT POPPERS

Post  robh107 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 pm

hi guys.... just wondered if any of you have experience using these for popping up deadbaits because i'm a little confused having not used them before, i know how to rig them BUT what size would be right for popping up an average 6inch bait (joey mackerel, sardine etc).
i'm only buying the one pack of them to start with and dont want to end up with them too small so they dont pop the bait up at all....... i want them so that the bait will be balanced with minimum weight sinking it on the trace.
your thoughts please???
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

FOX BAIT POPPERS Empty Re: FOX BAIT POPPERS

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Make up several with different variants of buoyancy. Sometimes you just want a wafting bait in current, sometimes you just want a bait standing on it's tail, sometimes you want your bait standing vertically by the length of it's trace.

....Regards.....Andy
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 pm

cheers andy
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Rob

Have a look at the Fox website here

I have used the little red pop ups a few times with it mounted externally so it looks like the deadbait is kissing a snooker ball. I have never had a run on one......

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Yeah, its on their Gravel Pit Piking DVD, disc 2 chapt. 12

Bazz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:35 pm

cheers andy.... how you described rigging with the bait "kissing" the popper is exactly how i intend to fish (with shot below the bait to sink it so it sits an inch or so off the bottom). i'm surprised you've never had a run on one though!!!
i mean ok this sunday is gonna be the first time i'll have tried them myself (on one rod only.... the other is gonna be laid on the bottom) but i would have thought the pike would find baits rather attractive presented in that way
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:50 pm

rob,you been abt a bit[no pun intended fella Laughing ]would it be easyer pumpin air/flavor,air in to pop up?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:54 pm

not really nick, i'm not a big fan of hypodermics.
i've already sussed how to rig, but the pop up balls come in 3 sizes and i just wondered how big to buy them for 6 inch baits cos i dont want to end up buying something thats too small to pop the bait up
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 pm

caught a few pike,fair not a lot of big ones because of waters ive fished in past but done ok size wise for water,anyway did a water where we poped fish of bottem,we used poly balls[are they the fox ones?]bits of balsa stuffed in fish ect.the best was cork balls,baits that floated to high just trim a bit of mate,they only pence in end.kill two birds with one stone an flavour cork balls[soak them all time]but remenber that a wet cork ball,soaked one weighes more than a dry one which is more boyent.sorry for spelling.your rig is it a hairfig with fish hooked threw mouh then ball there?hence kissing a snooker ball?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi robh
iv'e used poppers for a while now, they are a lot easier than sticks of polystireen,and much safer.
try setting a bait up in the bath(when you have to have one)hehe. you can then see exactlly what happens.
Never had any problems with takes, in fact i think the red attracts to the bait.
keep thinking and testing its the best way of forming your own skill and perception
jeff
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:51 pm

robh107 wrote:not really nick, i'm not a big fan of hypodermics.
i've already sussed how to rig, but the pop up balls come in 3 sizes and i just wondered how big to buy them for 6 inch baits cos i dont want to end up buying something thats too small to pop the bait up

Even the smallest pop-up balls will stand a decent mackerel on it's tail.

.....Regards.....Andy
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:39 am

i generally use the balsa sticks to pop up baits then adding shot or putty to critically balance baits bearing in mind that some frozen baits will natural float to due having expanded swim bladders full of air when they were frozen- frozen baits will take on water as they thaw out (ice floats right) - making a critically balanced bait slowly sink anyway

running the risk of teaching everyone to suck eggs heres a method i use often-
heres a method i have used in the past utilising the popup balls i have used it in shallow water and deep water (up to about 16 feet)but not at long range the action of the poly ball transfers the movement to bait adding movement to the bait i have had many pike on this method- used in conjunction with drop back alarms the poly ball also acts as run indicator too-- you will have to plumb the depth of the swim to make it work- it can be deadly when deep margin fishing

FOX BAIT POPPERS Popperkb7

excuse the primitive sketch

dave d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:47 pm

A sunken float paternoster would do the same thing without risking losing the buoyancy aid, which could be eaten by a nosey pike, which has been known to happen. it's always best to make sure your pop up devices are retrievable no matter whether it be corks, Fix poppers, balsa sticks, bits of foam...whatever but the main thing you must be able to retrieve it.

....Best Regards....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down