PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spooling on new braid

5 posters

Go down

spooling on new braid Empty spooling on new braid

Post  sweets34 Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 am

Bit oof advice on spooling up with new braid,not used braid a lot but someone told me you should dip the new braid spool in water before spooling it on as it will help it lay better?? Is this best practice? I've got 32 power pro to spool onto 3 reels,soz if this is a repeated post

sweets34

Back to top Go down

spooling on new braid Empty Re: spooling on new braid

Post  Eric Edwards Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 am

I've never dipped it in water myself, but then it might help stop you burning your fingers when you put it on. The two pieces of advice I would give are firstly to lay a little heavy mono on the spool first as a backing, and secondly to put the braid on as tightly as you possibly can. The mono is there to add grip and a little stretch so that the braid doesn't slip round the spool. This can be a real problem in cold weather, especially of the spool is metal. Putting it on tight will help line lay and aid casting.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Leebob Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:36 am

Sweets i personaly apply my braid on a spool by leaving the new spool to be applied in a bucket of water whilst i apply it onto my reel.

Works for me adds a little resistance whilst going on and no burnt fingers Laughing

Hope this is some help
Leebob
Leebob

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 am

Once I've loaded my spool, I find a nice grassy field, tie my braid to something solid and then walk all my line off. I then put a nice bend in my rod and wind it back on under constant tension.

Even then, once I get to the water, I put a nice heavy lead on and do a few casts to make sure the line is bedded on evenly.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

spooling on new braid Empty braid

Post  brownfox Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Dont overfill the spool a birdsnest with this stuff is a nightmare that only a woman with patience can undo, me forget it i just cut it off and start again.
brownfox
brownfox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum