sundays pike outing

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

sundays pike outing Empty sundays pike outing

Post  treble on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm

had a good day out fishing on loch *********, once again the sardine has proven to be the best bait after years of avoiding them like the plague because they were too soft and fell off the hook....didn't reach the loch side until 10 this morning and at half 10 i hit into what felt like a good double figure pike. i gave it a wanyama of a strike and it hardly moved but only had it on for about 30 seconds, it had taken roughly an 18" wire trace into its gob and bit thro my nylon line leaving me with zilch. hope somebody else catches it and gets those hooks out. had a few other takes and runs in the afternoon and banked a small one

i have probably manufactured a few bad habits over the years piking, like striking really hard into the fish usually 3 times. this is to allow for bend in the rod, stretch in a nylon cast length (dont like braid) and hard bony structure of the pikes mouth. also the frustration of losing plenty pike over the years although nowadays im pretty sure allot of pike will just hang onto the bait even though their not hooked and eventually they just let go of the bait. Your views on striking would be helpful??

a pike never gets past my wire traces, i can't remember the last time its happened, i thought they were plenty long enough so i will be making the next ones longer. it must of been a good fish. What sort of length of trace do you guys use would be handy to know your views on this??

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sundays pike outing Empty Re: sundays pike outing

Post  Eric Edwards on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 pm

I've got to say, it's most unlikely that a fish has swallowed a bait deep enough to bite through past an 18" trace. It's more likely that your line or your knot has failed you.
Indeed if you were genuinely bitten off, your bite indication or timing of the strike is at fault.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:34 pm

What breaking strain line are you using ? you shouldn't need to hit them so hard a good pull into a take is usually enough to set the hooks !!
Maybe in hitting it too hard you have weakened the line at its weakest point at the knot and this may have given way under the strain of a good size pike Crying or Very sad
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:52 am

Maybe use an uptrace? Sounds to me like the pike has turned and got the mono in its mouth just above the trace.
tootall
tootall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:33 am

when was the last time you changed your lines if you fish a place wheres there lots of sharp rocks and the likes you will get a lot of damage in a short space of time.Like adie says you dont have to triple strike into a pike pal there not marlin just a nice sweep upwards is all that is needed pal. by the way how long do you leave it before you strike on the run pal
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  treble on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm

good advice there thanks all. i checked the reel i had the fish on today and you're spot on stubbo, 3 weeks ago i was on a loch with sharp rocks and the lines damaged alright so it will be binned. another piker turned up just as i was putting my rods out and took my attention off the rods. i think its 15lb breaking strain line addie and i never have my tension overly tight. iv watched a video of me striking another fish and i can see im over doing it and its also a new pike rod which is allot stiffer than the others. also the pike never ran off with the bait it was just bobbing the float down that i had my back to cause the other piker was speaking. its unusual for the pike not to run with the bait, which maybe suggests it was a big mother with no others to fear. the good thing about the sardine being so soft is that the pike will easily crush it and set the hooks but that's an after thought now. the length of time i would wait before striking would depend on the take eric, as in if the pike ran with the bait i would guess that the bait is side on in the pikes mouth and would wait til it stops to turn the bait for swallowing and maybe give it 10 to 30 seconds before striking but iv never timed it. what do you guys do after first signs of a take? with me experimenting with the extra soft sardine im going to try striking almost as soon as i see the first signs of a take. cheers for the comments!!

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

30 seconds affraid affraid it will be coming out of its bum lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I pull into them as soon as i know theres a pike on my baits even though i do miss one or two i would rather do this than risk a deep hooked pike Wink
Thats how i do it anyway
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:36 pm

adie1200 wrote:30 seconds affraid affraid it will be coming out of its bum lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I pull into them as soon as i know theres a pike on my baits even though i do miss one or two i would rather do this than risk a deep hooked pike Wink
Thats how i do it anyway

Likewise unless i'm fishing shallow/clear water in the margins where i can physically see the pike and bait and what it's doing with it.
tootall
tootall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  treble on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 pm

iv never timed it but thats roughly what i did with a half or 3rd of a mackerel on and still lost fish but they would prob of been jacks. getting allot more action on the sardine so al be able to fine tune my technique

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

what i tend to do is just confirm its a run by offering light resistance with my fingers to make sure they're taking line (or taking up the slack carefully if its a drop back and making sure it goes slack again) then hit em straight away. haven't lost many using this instant method and have never deep hooked any.
the only time i multi strike as such is if i'm ballooning or drifting extreme distance (120yds plus) then i strike hard a couple of times to combat line stretch
rozzo
rozzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:57 pm

rozzo wrote:what i tend to do is just confirm its a run by offering light resistance with my fingers to make sure they're taking line (or taking up the slack carefully if its a drop back and making sure it goes slack again) then hit em straight away. haven't lost many using this instant method and have never deep hooked any.
the only time i multi strike as such is if i'm ballooning or drifting extreme distance (120yds plus) then i strike hard a couple of times to combat line stretch
if your drifter fishing at range matey you will be better using braid ie no line stretch plus your braid will stay on the surface and you can control the set up better
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:46 am

Just out of curiosity what size hooks do you use .

I was using large hooks size 4s and found I was missing pike so was convinced they were only small jacks , I have now moved down to fox semi barbed size 8 on 18" traces and my hook up rate has flown up and there are a few doubles so I think I was wrong in thinking I was losing jacks .To me too long a trace could be detrimental as the pike could pick up a bait on a long trace and do a lot with it before showing an indication ?
I personally do not leave a long time till strike and I use braid so no wrenching at rods just a gentle lift into fish, also do not use same traces over and over like some .
Had a good day the other week and the traces were binned would never for give my self losing a good fish because hooks not sticky sharp .I use wonder wire for traces now and I think this may be helping pick ups.
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:52 am

stubbo wrote:
rozzo wrote:what i tend to do is just confirm its a run by offering light resistance with my fingers to make sure they're taking line (or taking up the slack carefully if its a drop back and making sure it goes slack again) then hit em straight away. haven't lost many using this instant method and have never deep hooked any.
if your drifter fishing at range matey you will be better using braid ie no line stretch plus your braid will stay on the surface and you can control the set up better
yeh probably but braid was in it's infancy and very expensive when i last dipped a line. i've got some now so i'll spool a reel up and give it a try.
i'll have to get some new balloons as mine have perished during my long lay off Rolling Eyes
rozzo
rozzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 am

kell wrote:Just out of curiosity what size hooks do you use .

I was using large hooks size 4s and found I was missing pike so was convinced they were only small jacks , I have now moved down to fox semi barbed size 8 on 18" traces and my hook up rate has flown up and there are a few doubles so I think I was wrong in thinking I was losing jacks .To me too long a trace could be detrimental as the pike could pick up a bait on a long trace and do a lot with it before showing an indication ?
I personally do not leave a long time till strike and I use braid so no wrenching at rods just a gentle lift into fish, also do not use same traces over and over like some .
Had a good day the other week and the traces were binned would never for give my self losing a good fish because hooks not sticky sharp .I use wonder wire for traces now and I think this may be helping pick ups.

wonder wire, nice n soft. since i tryed it kell i dont use anything else. good stuff eh.
greg
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:17 pm

I use 40lb for traces Greg and 15lb for ul spin and lure traces love it and cheap
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Where do you get that wonderwire i cant find it anywhere
fatcaff
fatcaff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  treble on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm

is ballooning just a case of attaching a party balloon to your float with a metre of line with your bait off the bottom in windy conditions?

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  treble on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

kell wrote:Just out of curiosity what size hooks do you use .

not sure what size the hooks are, there roughly the same size as the ones you can buy on ready made traces.
i thought it was smaller pike i was losing mostly because a mackerel bait can be quite dense and hardish with too big a girth and half a mackerel is probably a bit on the big side being that my hooks were missing on the strike, whereas the sardine is very soft and would be like a hot knife through butter for any pike jaw strength so i might lose a few sardines casting but im feeling allot more confident of not losing pike with a softer early strike now.
not sure what brand of trace wire i use, usually just what my local shop has in. the stuff iv got just now is black plastic coated braided wire and seems decent stuff with low memory.

do you know and good websites for pike gear that doesn't charge the earth. some forums of other hobbies have money off deals for forum members?

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  treble on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm

i tried using braid last year and it was snapping just casting a lure out and a tangle was impossible to untangle. maybe it was crap stuff/bad batch

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 pm

treble wrote:

is ballooning just a case of attaching a party balloon to your float with a metre of line with your bait off the bottom in windy conditions?
no
it involves using a paper clip and 2 balloons.
thread the paper clip onto your trace swivel, then tuck the knots of the balloons into the clip and lower it into the water. let the wind take it to where you want your bait, then strike hard and the balloons will detach and your legered bait will sink to the bottom. just tighten up to it slowly and fish as with any legered deadbait.
very useful for fishing to features out of reach of casting but easier to do than describe Cool
rozzo
rozzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  treble on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:38 pm

rozzo wrote:
treble wrote:

no
it involves using a paper clip and 2 balloons.
thread the paper clip onto your trace swivel, then tuck the knots of the balloons into the clip and lower it into the water. let the wind take it to where you want your bait, then strike hard and the balloons will detach and your legered bait will sink to the bottom. just tighten up to it slowly and fish as with any legered deadbait.
very useful for fishing to features out of reach of casting but easier to do than describe Cool

sounds like a great tip cheers!!

treble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 pm

just make sure the paper clip is not too tight holding the knots or it won't strike off them. and lower it really carefully into the water or the balloons will come off when you drop it in. it will take your bait to where you want it super quick once it catches the wind and is very much cheaper than a bait boat Wink
rozzo
rozzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

fatcaff wrote:Where do you get that wonderwire i cant find it anywhere

Inspiredanglingservices@gmail.com

just drop him a email Very Happy
greg
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

is it the stuff you can knot greg
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

yep stubbo you can knot it love the stuff he had it on special till dec i think ?
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next