PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pike Fishing Bassenthwaite Lake

5 posters

Go down

Pike Fishing Bassenthwaite Lake Empty Pike Fishing Bassenthwaite Lake

Post  Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi,

Im new to this site and my name is Paul and from the northerly city of Carlisle. I was wondering if anyne can help me?

After a day of blanking up on Loch Ken today I am thinking of heading for days pike fishing to Bassenthswaite Lake tomorrow (hopefully to recoup my losses). However as I am not a gluten for punishment and cant seem to find any information about swims etc.. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a little clue as to what areas produce over others. As you've probably guessed I've never tried this rather large water before but I have heard theres some good fish to be had, so fingers crossed:-)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Back to top Go down

Pike Fishing Bassenthwaite Lake Empty Re: Pike Fishing Bassenthwaite Lake

Post  adie1200 Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Replys by PM please Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 am

Bassenthwaite is practically devoid of pike these days
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 am

noodle wrote:Bassenthwaite is practically devoid of pike these days
they are having serios problems with this water the average size was about 10lb not that long ago but that has dropped to about4 lb so i have read some where i used to fish it a lot a while back had some good fish think its getting hammered and people where taking fish out for consumption as the layby swims are right on the road seen a few numtys on there i can tell you..
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:46 pm

I will be there tomorrow (Satuarday)

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 pm

stubbo wrote:
they are having serios problems with this water the average size was about 10lb not that long ago but that has dropped to about4 lb so i have read some where i used to fish it a lot a while back had some good fish think its getting hammered and people where taking fish out for consumption as the layby swims are right on the road seen a few numtys on there i can tell you..

Im sure there were some major chemical biological problems causing the decline of fishing on there they also did something involving llamas and char trying to preserve the char population
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="noodle"]
stubbo wrote:

Im sure there were some major chemical biological problems causing the decline of fishing on there they also did something involving llamas and char trying to preserve the char population
yes they have knackered it up messing with nature
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Bassenthwaite is suffering very badly from heavy metals pollution. This is eminating from the Force Crag mine which closed down some years ago and flooded. Floodwater from the mine spills over into Newlands Beck which then runs into Bassenthwaite.
It's been calculated that some three tonnes of zinc are being deposited into the lake each year, the compounds of zinc are highly toxic.

An official study has been carried out by the EA and it has confirmed that pike catches have significantly declined and the size of the pike has declined also - quite markedly.

I caught my first twenty pounder from Bassenthwaite and I'm afraid we're going to lose it as a pike fishery for ever.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 am

Eric Edwards wrote:Bassenthwaite is suffering very badly from heavy metals pollution. This is eminating from the Force Crag mine which closed down some years ago and flooded. Floodwater from the mine spills over into Newlands Beck which then runs into Bassenthwaite.
It's been calculated that some three tonnes of zinc are being deposited into the lake each year, the compounds of zinc are highly toxic.

An official study has been carried out by the EA and it has confirmed that pike catches have significantly declined and the size of the pike has declined also - quite markedly.

I caught my first twenty pounder from Bassenthwaite and I'm afraid we're going to lose it as a pike fishery for ever.
its sad that nothing can be done about the situation i used to enjoy my piking sessions on there cant they divert the water some where else might sound like a stupid question eric
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Don't think so. The problem has been compounded by the fact that the EA have dredged Newlands Beck. This has caused the sediment loading in the beck to increase and this in turn has killed off the vendace. The spawning beds are now mud where they used to be clean gravel - and vendace can't spawn in mud.

The extra sediment will, itself, be holding heavy metals that were deposited long ago.

The mine is now owned by the National Trust but they disclaim all responsibility for the problem.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:55 am

Eric Edwards wrote:Don't think so. The problem has been compounded by the fact that the EA have dredged Newlands Beck. This has caused the sediment loading in the beck to increase and this in turn has killed off the vendace. The spawning beds are now mud where they used to be clean gravel - and vendace can't spawn in mud.

The extra sediment will, itself, be holding heavy metals that were deposited long ago.

The mine is now owned by the National Trust but they disclaim all responsibility for the problem.
sound like a tangled web eric where nobodys really wants to address the problem it all boils down to money eric ......think the lakes problem will be a costly one and a big problem to the enviroment in that area all in all its doomed pal by the sounds of it........... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down