PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pair of deadbait rods

+3
rozzo
Eric Edwards
ibiza20vt
7 posters

Go down

pair of deadbait rods Empty pair of deadbait rods

Post  ibiza20vt Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Currently using a dragon carp rod and a Shakespeare Odessa pike rod as my deadbait rods. Basically looking for a pair of replacements as I can no longer find rod matching the Odessa as it I some years old now. I mainly fish medium range average sized deads, any rods I should be looking at other then warriors ?? Cheers

ibiza20vt

Back to top Go down

pair of deadbait rods Empty Re: pair of deadbait rods

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Why on earth do you want matching rods???
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  ibiza20vt Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Just figured it would be easier and perhaps more cost effective to have a pair ?

ibiza20vt

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Can't see how it's more cost-effective to buy two rods rather than one Question
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  ibiza20vt Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:18 am

Well Id seen places before doing deals ie 70 a rod 120 the pair. Maybe I should rephrase the question lol do you have any good rod reccomendations. Cheers

ibiza20vt

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 am

If it was me I'd buy the cheapest one I could find, strip off all the rings and handle, fit a new cork handle, fit a new Fuji reel seat and a set of Alconyte rings and go and catch some fish with it.

The cheap rods sold in this country are usually built on quality blanks but they keep the cost down by having them built abroad and by fitting cheap components. Fit your own and not only do you know it's been done properly, you can tailor the rod to your own requirements and fit quality parts to boot.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am

ha ha thats ok if you have the skills but i'd start out with cheap crappy rods and end up with 2 sticks Rolling Eyes
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  doad Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:43 am

i think i would be the same mate end up with a 12 ft pole lol!
doad
doad

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 am

Eric Edwards wrote:If it was me I'd buy the cheapest one I could find, strip off all the rings and handle, fit a new cork handle, fit a new Fuji reel seat and a set of Alconyte rings and go and catch some fish with it.

The cheap rods sold in this country are usually built on quality blanks but they keep the cost down by having them built abroad and by fitting cheap components. Fit your own and not only do you know it's been done properly, you can tailor the rod to your own requirements and fit quality parts to boot.

Not being funny but surely by the time you've gone to all the effort anf expense of new cork, a good reel seat and decent rings etc you may as well have bought a decent mid range rod anyway?

These for example are built on some of the best carbon i've ever used and are by far my favorite deadbait rods i've ever used, and thats including some far, far more expensive ones.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=370364588392
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:25 pm

No really, I have a stock of cork that I got for free, a good reel seat is just five or six quid and maybe twenty to thirty for the rings.
What I do get is a rod that suits me exactly and that won't let me down due to rings busting or going rusty.

Besides that I do enjoy doing it.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:No really, I have a stock of cork that I got for free, a good reel seat is just five or six quid and maybe twenty to thirty for the rings.
What I do get is a rod that suits me exactly and that won't let me down due to rings busting or going rusty.

Besides that I do enjoy doing it.
fair play m8 i bet they're a pleasure to use and very satisfying to know you made them yourself. i would have to learn spear fishing if i tried that. Rolling Eyes
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:42 pm

They look good for the money Tootall Wink

Don't think everyones confident enough to build their own rods or indeed capable to do the job Eric !!

I can see were you are coming from though mate apart from getting the rod just as you like it you get much more pleasure out of using tackle you have made yourself Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But to buy a rod at say £30 to £40 and then £6 ish for a cork butt and £20 to £30 for rings and wipping materals and adhesive for the butt at a cost of between £60 to £ 80 each i think ibiza20vt would be better off buying the ones tootall suggested Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:52 pm

iv'e got a 2.75lb and a 3lb test curve rod. with a sardine bait free lining(with no extra wait) the 3lb rod is a bit too stiff unlike the 2.75 which with a bit more bend tends to get the bait out further easier and feels allot lighter. its my first outing with the 3lb rod so next time i'll add some lead wait or use a mackerel bait but the lead wouldn't be good on a snaggy bottom. the ebay rod suggested seems a good price for a cork handled rod. hope that helps!

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down