Pike catches of previous years.

Go down

Pike catches of previous years. Empty Pike catches of previous years.

Post  Steve French on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 am

Did not get out over the weekend, just thought it was far too cold not just for me but also the Pike, had one of those weekends were i tidied up my kit, and generally messed about. i have only been Pike fishing for the past four seasons, i have kept records of my catches and the weather, nothing too scientific, ie mild or cold with an eaternly wind etc.
This season for me, has been the poorest since i began, its also been the coldest, two seasons ago i was averaging 6 fish up to an average of 9lbs a session, which normally lasted approx 4 hours. last season i averaged 5 fish to an average of 10lbs per session. This season i have only caught one fish in the last 5 sessions, anyone else got any records or observations?

Steve French

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pike catches of previous years. Empty Re: Pike catches of previous years.

Post  nickcarpy on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:14 am

hi steve,everyone in same boat mate,cold snap ect.but you go on main page an look at pike news/catches an you will see theres more fish been reported in weekies than season before?strangebecause more people i talk to seem to be blankin more than catchin Crying or Very sad
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Steve
i keep records in 3 formats, 1 notebook enteries, 2 master log kept at home and 3computer enteries.
from the above i can select a battle plan on the bank(1)
also select battle plan on computer before venturing out.
these record have been kept since the early 80s(sad )
but they have helped in putting pike on the bank.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:13 pm

i agree guys. up to now this has been my worst pike season i have EVER had. had a couple of good days, but had more blanks than ever before. Sad Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:20 pm

yes i agree.... it has been alot harder for me this season too..... i've only had one double (14lb 4oz) back in september. apart from that i've had one or two no bigger than 9 or 10lb more or less every time i've been out and also blanked twice. but the only real big pike i've encountered i lost after 3 minutes of holding onto it for dear life with the rod locked up all the way through to the butt and it just kiting to the right and moving like i wasnt even attached to it, when it realised it was hooked i felt a few big headshakes and all went slack.
hope things get better when the weather improves Very Happy
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:51 am

Sorry to hear you guys have not caught as well this season. I'm slightly bemused as my catches have been better than ever so far.
I know some of the venues i used to pike fish have been hit hard by the floods of last year and the 'poaching' of pike by some of our EU friends on some waters hasn't helped. (I've also seen evidence of swans being bbq'd on the bank - and yes i did report it)
Because of this i've been fishing some less known smaller rivers and drains in the hope that the pike have moved into these during floods etc, and so far it seems to be working for me.
Don't want to give too much away but i'd recommend people trying some of the small drainage channels - especially if they are closer to other rivers/canals etc - you'd be suprised at how many pike can hold up in the tiniest of drains. Cool
tootall
tootall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Can't get a week by these days without hearing about 'our EU friends' munching all our pike. Never a mention of game anglers, bailiffs, noddies, match-men, instant pikers etc. all of whom have been banging pike on the head for decades...long before Lef took to eating them.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down