PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Pike

+7
stubbo
petestanley
Hamboner
markw
daveb
Eric Edwards
pikeman100
11 posters

Go down

Missing Pike Empty Missing Pike

Post  pikeman100 Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 am

Hi I hope I am doing this right, I know there is a no naming policy on here but I need to say the general area as I need an answer if possible.
My friend and I have fished the river Aire from below Skipton to below Keighley for the last couple of years and we have blanked every time. We normally catch the odd pike and like everyone we do also blank, but to blank every time, when we have caught fish from all over the Aire proves to me there is something wrong. The bailiff say's he has chased a few Easter E people from the water when they were fishing night lines. Any information would be helpful.
Otherwise it must mean my fishing has got rubbish. Thanks

pikeman100

Back to top Go down

Missing Pike Empty Re: Missing Pike

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Same story on much of the upper and middle Severn and on some stretches of the Wye now. I keep saying it, and I believe it to be true, fish theft for food is the biggest threat to our sport bar none!
Don't go away with the idea that it's just a few guys trying to help out with food for the kids, it's going on on an industrial scale and the fish are going for sale on the black market.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:40 pm

I fished a couple of area's on the middle Severn, both productive in the mid 2000's (see my profile pic) but have noticed a marked decrease in catches in both area's, both of pike and smaller fish like chub, dace etc.

There is a lot of Cormorant predation on the Severn which accounts for a drop in the silver fish population but one thing I've observed in both the above area's is otters.

I caught a mid double pike from one of the area's a few years back, and although it was a lean fish it was in good condition. I caught the same fish (from the same swim) a couple of years on and it's lost around 3lb and looks very skinny - the same day an otter surfaced in front of me in the swim I caught the pike from. So I can only assume that silver fish stocks are diminishing rapidly leading to very hungry and somewhat skinny pike.

As for fish being removed for eating I can honestly say that I have never witnessed this on the Severn though I don't doubt it happens. It certainly wouldn't happen on some of the areas I fish though as they are off the beaten track on farmers land.
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

Missing Pike Empty nelson pike on canal

Post  markw Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Having fished leeds liverpool for many years having caught many pike this stretch is now empty of pike due to our eastern friends. Night lines and netting. You are now lucky to even catch a perch. Have talked to the polish etc. to explain once they take them all that's it. They just don't care. Even rang environment agency but no joy there either.

markw

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamboner Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:03 pm

I have a similar story albeit on a canal. The local canal where I live used to be full of pike and perch, as a kid I used to catch all the time on it. It's just a quiet stretch of canal that has been great to me for 20-25 years. There is a particular basin that I have had numerous decent pike from, the biggest being 14lb which is big for the canal as I have only heard of one bigger being caught from it. Now for the last two years virtually nothing, I blanked more times in the last two years than I have ever, also when I do catch it's small pike on the spinner (very little on the bait anymore). There is one other thing that makes me believe the pike have dwindled drastically and that is the perch numbers have risen noticably. Then one morning it all made sense, I was up early just stick floating for perch, passing time really when I approached the basin there was somesort of camp fire still smoldering, this was strange straight away because it's in the middle of the path and no one camps there. Upon kicking through the remains, the fire had in it some sort of polish sausage tins and pickle jars..of course this doesn't prove a thing but still, the pike have definetly reduced in size and numbers.

Hamboner

Back to top Go down

Post  petestanley Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm

There's a little pond near me that used to have loads of pike in there, but recently i've seen a marked drop.
Until recently you could fish for an hour and have 4-5 takes easy, i fished there late summer last year and had 6 takes and 3 fish in 25 minutes, jacks mainly from about 2 to 5lb, but there was/is some fish in there to about 20. This winter though, fishings dropped off quite a bit. The lads in the pub were wondering whats going on, as the lumps usually start showing on deads, but its not really happened this year.
Anyway, a non fishing buddy of mine who sometimes comes along for the ride whilst i'm spinning was sat in the pub that backs onto the water, and watched some lad spinning after dark. He sat and watched him for 5 minutes, and shouted to him has he caught anything. The bloke ignored him, so my mate shouted again and the bloke fishing picked his landing net up and walked off. My mate said in his net were at least 5 pike. If this guys taking 5 in one sitting, and god knows how often he's doing this, how many are going? He's been spotted, what about his mates. What if this guy has pike for his tea every night, and without being racist, E. Europeans are known for their attitude to saving their money, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this won't be a one off.
The problem is, in Poland and elsewhere in Eastern Europe this is the done thing, so they just don't/won't understand where we are coming from. They think we're mad letting all this food go after we've caught it.
petestanley
petestanley

http://www.northernpiker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamboner Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 pm

That'sa bit of a problem too. ' The race card.' Some people are afraid of speaking out in case they are deemed racist, which is certainly not the case. I have read that councils have started putting up signs in different languages to try and explain rules but the truth is that won't help at all as I feel they already know what they are doing is wrong. I read a story can't remember if it was online or in a paper about a Lithuanian man being reported for killing fish and putting them in his rucksack, the police got there in time to search him and sure enough he had a few different species dead in his rucsack. As the police were gathering up his belongings they seen slight movement in a black plastic bag, when they opened it, it was a swan! A f*****g swan, with it's neck broken. it's crazy.

I am not wanting to turn this into a political thread because I much prefer fishing, but this is only going to get worse. I just don't know what can be done about it, if i'm honest.

Hamboner

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Hamboner wrote:That'sa bit of a problem too. ' The race card.' Some people are afraid of speaking out in case they are deemed racist, which is certainly not the case. I have read that councils have started putting up signs in different languages to try and explain rules but the truth is that won't help at all as I feel they already know what they are doing is wrong. I read a story can't remember if it was online or in a paper about a Lithuanian man being reported for killing fish and putting them in his rucksack, the police got there in time to search him and sure enough he had a few different species dead in his rucsack. As the police were gathering up his belongings they seen slight movement in a black plastic bag, when they opened it, it was a swan! A f*****g swan, with it's neck broken. it's crazy.

I am not wanting to turn this into a political thread because I much prefer fishing, but this is only going to get worse. I just don't know what can be done about it, if i'm honest.
prosecute them and more signage then they are aware that is is a offence lets face it theres hardly any signs up saying otherwise then deportation or is that going to far......ask yourself this question would you get away with it in there country an english person doing it.......dont think so
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamboner Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm

stubbo wrote:
Hamboner wrote:
prosecute them and more signage then they are aware that is is a offence lets face it theres hardly any signs up saying otherwise then deportation or is that going to far......ask yourself this question would you get away with it in there country an english person doing it.......dont think so

You are correct about there being hardly any signs and I doubt there will ever be any on smaller local canals,ponds etc. I would love to see more prosecutions for sure. Deportation would certainly make them think twice but I doubt the human rights lobby would allow such measures.lol

Hamboner

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Human rights?

What about OUR human rights?

We PAY to go fishing and for our licence and don't get what we pay for. Very Happy

Interestingly, if Cameron does go ahead with what he has said about a referendum and Britain does leave the EU, will that mean all the immigrants will be kicked out as they no longer have a right to live and work here anymore?

Maybe our waters will then recover?
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  mwillis551 Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm

I live in northern Ireland and in my local river, two minutes away from me, (in 2006; I was 13) , I was catching pike flat out, had a lot of jacks and 13lb pike 21lb. I used to go down when i came home school and was almost guaranteed a pike. Now it is absolutely dead, can hardly get a run, all the locals blame our foriegn friends -_- I happen to agree with them Neutral it's really disheartening Sad lol
mwillis551
mwillis551

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 am

Get yourself on the wharfe Wink
jimlad
jimlad

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm

jimlad wrote:Get yourself on the wharfe Wink
lets hope they dont start targeting the wharfe ..... if not already pal Sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Missing Pike Empty canal pike

Post  markw Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Further to my previous post on my local canal. A fellow angler used to walk the canal just before dark to look for the pike traps, in one night he took 40 traps in 1 mile stretch in just one night. They put stakes in the ground attached to heavy sea fishing gear on the opposite side to the tow path. This rips the fish to pieces. He can't afford to do it now as the europeans slashed all 4 tyres. This all started 4-5 yars ago when you would see them spinning , when I saw them catch I would tell them to put it back. No spinning now as they just use the traps. I used to catch dozens of pike to 18 lb on this stretch over the winter on deads. I caught one last year at 4lb. This year not one.

markw

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm

it's really sickening but i'm afraid its become a fact of life. guard your pike waters guys n gals Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down