boat fishing static or on the move

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

boat fishing static or on the move Empty boat fishing static or on the move

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Iknow some of you on the forum do a bit of boat fishing as i have started fishing from a boat last year and had some success with float fishing with deads anchored up .Do you lads do the same or do you trawl baits/rubbers /jerks/ is there a time of the year best suited for fishing with lures just wondered how far away from the boat would you fish these lures heard a few differant options would of thought the farthest away less disturbance etc.planning on doing alot more boat fish in the future but ai am fairly new at it just need afew pointers and tips Have done a bit of casting from a static boat but not done much on the move as in pulled afloat behind the boat with a live bait/deadbait. planning on going to the lakes this year on the lures..............when ive got the jist of it that is.....

Last edited by stubbo on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the s in lakes)
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

boat fishing static or on the move Empty Re: boat fishing static or on the move

Post  Eric Edwards on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm

How long's a piece of string? Trolling is a great way to search a water out but it isn't very thorough, just one shot, that's all you get. A more thorough way is to drift and cast lures - and possibly trail a deadbait or livebait behind the boat as you go. You'll need a drogue to do this and it is slower than trolling but covers the water really well.
Static fishing with baits sometimes works best of all but I would advise moving frequently, covering as many as ten swims during the course of a day.

Last edited by Eric Edwards on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Best tip i'l give you. drift, you'l cover more water this way, even if you go over the same spots..Even if you lure fishing from the boat, dont rule out throwing a dead-bait out while drifting....this can be an added bonus while you throwing a lure out.....
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:How long's a piece of string? Trolling is a great way to search a water out but it isn't very thorough, just one shot, that's all you get. A more thorough way is to drift and cast lures - and possibly trail a deadbait or livebait behind the boat as you go. You'll need a drogue to do this and it is slower than trolling but covers the water really well.
Static fishing with baits sometimes works best of all but I would advise moving frequently, covering as many as ten swims during the course of a day.
up to now we have been fishing static with results i must admit we have caught 20lb plus fish and upper teens but feel like we are still missing out by not moving as you say drifting and casting lures we have probably moved and re-anchored about 3 times in one day not really touched the lake its nearly 3 miles long probably need to spend a hour in each spot really or even less than that but we are drawn to the same spots where we catch fish think we have to bite the bullit and move more..you was spot on about that reel pal its the dogs......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich_ on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:How long's a piece of string? Trolling is a great way to search a water out but it isn't very thorough, just one shot, that's all you get. A more thorough way is to drift and cast lures - and possibly trail a deadbait or livebait behind the boat as you go. You'll need a drogue to do this and it is slower than trolling but covers the water really well.

That's exactly the way we fish. We treat static deadbaiting as a sort of mobile method & tend to only troll when moving from one area to another, which accounts for plenty bonus fish as do the baits trailed behind when casting lures on the drift.

It's tempting to anchor up too long with static bait in a swim you know has fished well in the past but if you don't move about you are loosing some of the advantages of being in a boat, Fish will frequently pick up your bait within an hour or so if they are in the area.

Rich_

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Drifting tends not to work too well on glacial lakes due to their dramatic topography, you really need somewhere shallow and uniform depth to get the best out of the method.
You should fish a new spot every time you go out, and choose the best time of day to do it. You will miss out on fish in the short term by doing this but in the long term you'll catch a lot more. The whole point about boat fishing is that it makes you mobile, you might need to fish a spot for just half an hour before moving on.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Drifting tends not to work too well on glacial lakes due to their dramatic topography, you really need somewhere shallow and uniform depth to get the best out of the method.
You should fish a new spot every time you go out, and choose the best time of day to do it. You will miss out on fish in the short term by doing this but in the long term you'll catch a lot more. The whole point about boat fishing is that it makes you mobile, you might need to fish a spot for just half an hour before moving on.
would you fish the lures earlier in the year as the temps will be up i normally start my pike fishing about november but i did start a bit earlier this year october and had a good start . You lads who fish on the boats most of the time do you fish all year round or do you knock it on the head in the summer time
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 pm

More summer piking done the further north you go I think. The water in big deep glacial lakes never gets warm so the pike won't suffer from exhaustion.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:59 pm

It's a very rare day out in the boat when I don't pick up a lure rod at some point. It's hard on lures in January but they still take fish. I do believe very strongly though that casting a lure gets lethargic pike on the move, so while they may not actually take the lure, they will subsequently pick up a bait.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:It's a very rare day out in the boat when I don't pick up a lure rod at some point. It's hard on lures in January but they still take fish. I do believe very strongly though that casting a lure gets lethargic pike on the move, so while they may not actually take the lure, they will subsequently pick up a bait.
at the moment been catching a few fish on lures but as i have mentioned before they are covered in leeches but this is fishing of the bank but most are small fish but happy just cacthing it seems the more i fish on the lures which i didnt do a lot of before ,the better it gets and i know its probably not the best time to fish on the lures but pleased with the results up to now.
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich_ on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Arguably it's probably not the most productive time for any method in the coldest months. They feed more actively in early Summer & Autumn generally, or so they say. Is it just that unlike bait, lures are often fished all year so you notice the catch rate drop off? Especially as you often have to make a lot more casts per fish in Winter.

Also a bait or lure has to be in the water to stand a chance, and as you have noticed the more you fish the lures the more you are catching. I usually leave the bait rods at home if I am fishing lures & vice versa.

Rich_

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Hmm, don't take that as gospel, I had some great catches on lures last January and very little on baits. In fact during Jan and Feb last year a mate and I had ten twenties on lures along with shedloads of doubles. That was from the bank mind.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  welsh piker on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:It's a very rare day out in the boat when I don't pick up a lure rod at some point. It's hard on lures in January but they still take fish. I do believe very strongly though that casting a lure gets lethargic pike on the move, so while they may not actually take the lure, they will subsequently pick up a bait.

Snap... Eric, i do belive that throwing a lure, does get lethargic pike to move, and more often or not, if not on the casting lure, but it's taken a bait...
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Rich_ wrote:Arguably it's probably not the most productive time for any method in the coldest months. They feed more actively in early Summer & Autumn generally, or so they say. Is it just that unlike bait, lures are often fished all year so you notice the catch rate drop off? Especially as you often have to make a lot more casts per fish in Winter.

Also a bait or lure has to be in the water to stand a chance, and as you have noticed the more you fish the lures the more you are catching. I usually leave the bait rods at home if I am fishing lures & vice versa.
i take it all back been out today ,had 2 deadbait rod out and i was casting lures all day long over my deads but nothing at all on the lures which surprized me as the temps were up on last week and i caught on the same swim on the lures. the deadbait rods were taking the fish today not big fish but a fish is a fish to me had one about 15lb came off at the net there is a big fish in this water that was last caught about 3 weeks ago last wieghed 28lb but it could go heavier me thinks....... Very Happy also had 3 jacks on the deads
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

boat fishing static or on the move Empty engines on windermere

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 pm

does anyone know if they have banned engines on windermere or is it just electric engines now, mines a honda 5 hp wasnt there talk about it
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Not sure if this applies to small craft ( i'm sure noodle will know )

Link below Wink

New rules for powered boats on Windermere
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Yes you can use petrol engines on Windermere is the speed that change a few years ago top speed is now 10 mph.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm

adie1200 wrote:Not sure if this applies to small craft ( i'm sure noodle will know )

Link below Wink

New rules for powered boats on Windermere
thanks pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm

psion wrote:
Yes you can use petrol engines on Windermere is the speed that change a few years ago top speed is now 10 mph.
thanks muck yes its the speed bet those big power boats are pig sick with all that horse power gone to waste
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Have you fished Windermere much? I have fished it a few times over the years from my own boat but not done that

good.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:18 pm

psion wrote:
Have you fished Windermere much? I have fished it a few times over the years from my own boat but not done that

good.
fished it on the bank a couple of times but not off the boat yet been looking at some of the launch slips that are available i will go up to the lakes and have a recci shortly to see if i need to register or not or is it a price for the day when you launch dont know the procedure as regarding the launch of your own boat....... have you fished there lately muck....
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Yes you need to register and and buy a set on numbers you get them from Nabs Head where the ferry crosses the lake.

If you wanted to you could have a run out with me in my boat to give it a try.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm

psion wrote:
Yes you need to register and and buy a set on numbers you get them from Nabs Head where the ferry crosses the lake.

If you wanted to you could have a run out with me in my boat to give it a try.
what boat have you got pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

boat fishing static or on the move 18310 this is mine pal its a 14ft polar craft
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Its an Orkney longliner. I tried to Host a picture but its not working.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next