PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures! Ideas?

3 posters

Go down

Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures!  Ideas? Empty Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures! Ideas?

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Im geting into lure fishing and geting me a setup this week! But not shure its well matched together! please tell me if ok!

Savage gear Butch light! 6.9ft 40-100gram
or)
Savage gear New Mpp predator spin! 8ft 150gram!

Reel) Okuma Trio High speed spin! 55s model! 260m-0.35mm line!

Pro plus braid 100Ibs breaking!

Lures!! soft 4 play loose lures for jig head and lipsculls! 19cm 60gram 25cm 140gram!

real eal 30cm 80gram!

Hope this setup would work!! or would it be better to use trigger grip rod and multiplier??? never used these before thow!!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures!  Ideas? Empty Re: Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures! Ideas?

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:19 pm

if you want a dedicated lure set up for throwing larger lures then a baitcaster rod and multi reel will make life far easier in the long run
ok initially casting will take a bit of getting used to but once you master it which wont take as long as you think a day or two at most you will be able to control the lures far better with a multi set up
reasons you palm the rod reel and this alone makes it easier to impart subtle movement into the rod where with a fixed spool you tend to be harsher in the moves you make
casting with heavy braid is far easier as on a multi when the spool empties its still the same amount of resistance being given off when the spool is half empty as when its full as the line doesnt need to pass over a lip like it does on a fixed spool
shorter rods in the main are more comfortable to hold and work for longer periods ok there are a few exceptions like throwing heavy swimbaits or absolute distance which is mostly sea stuff anyway

so id opt for something in the 6 foot 6 bracket throwing 2-4 ounce and a round (not low profile) multi
reel wise abu gets the most votes as they are repairable reliable and common, although there are other options shimano do a basic model called the corvalus for about 60 quid which is very sweet until it gets soaked and water gets into the bearings which has happened a couple of times to me on really wet days throwing lures all day in the rain, its never done this bank fishing
or daiwa the proteus 300 is a good buy similar in olde world appeal to the abu's (5601 c3 sort of thing) but its cheaper to buy new about 70 quid

if you need to go down the fixed spool route then i would look at lighter lures 2.5-3 ounce as an absolute maximum with something like a 6000 sized reel like the shimano baitrunner (you dont need the baitrunner just to give you an idea on the size) that is probably bigger than most would advise but i like more weight at the reel end when using fixed spool rods as it makes the rod feel lighter and hence allows a bit more control at the tip which in turn means you work the lures more effectivly, rod wise something about 8 foot certainly no longer than 9 will be usefull as it gives you the option to wobble baits on occasion should youwant to do that the 8-9 foot will also possibly double up as a small bait rod (i own two drennan esox spinflex 9 foot ones for those reasons) they are ok for lures but if im honest a mutli set up is better about 90% of the time

daiwa fox shimano berkely and others all do rods that fit the bill im off to look for a few now and ill stick em on in a bit
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures!  Ideas? Empty Re: Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures! Ideas?

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:22 pm

having reread your post are those the only lures you plan on using?
if so you may well have the right sort of gear just drop the braid to 0.36 and pick a bigger and slower reel
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks mate!! No not the only lures im going to fish!(just like the look and action) and think the savage gear looks good!! im looking at a heavy soft lure/jerkbait setup! Also a lighter lure maybe little jigging setup also! (maybe a fixed spool setup for this)

Also if posible able to used for salt water as may take on holiday with me sometime!!

You made sence with the multi reel and trigger grip rod! So thinking id better try and get to use this setup!

price wise! prob £100 reel and £100 rod on each setups!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

a bit light but will probably do you
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DAIWA-MEGA-FORCE-JERKBAIT-ROD-6FT-40-80-G-RRP-55-/150375182458?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item23030f307a
bit better well a good rod if truth be told from reports and the weight range youre after
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIWA-WHISKER-66-40-120g-JERKBAIT-SPINCAST-COARSE-PIKE-ROD-/330746239833?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item4d02031b59
ive tried one of these and they are fairly good but i didnt like the abbriviated handle
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-WARRIOR-JERK-BAIT-ROD-7FT-1PIECE-PIKE-LURE-ROD-/400339813342?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5d361cc3de

for reels look at this sort of thing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABU-GARCIA-AMBASSADEUR-TGC-6001C-BAIT-CASTING-MULTIPLIER-NEW-UNUSED-/181057460673?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item2a27dd99c1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daiwa-Millionaire-Proteus-Baitcasting-reel-MP300L-/170694642875?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item27be318cbb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Corvalus-401-Left-5-2-1-Reel-Roller-Fishing-Ball-Bearing-3-Water-Sport-/330820932495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0676d38f

if your not in a rush id say see who is local to you and ask if you can try a few set ups and see what really suits you.

to give you a clue about the fixed spool side i use (bearing in mind i like slightly different things from the majority that being larger reels and softer rods in general when it comes to pike fishing) then these are what i use
the esox rods
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESOX-DRENNAN-SPINFLEX-SPINNING-RODS-8ft-or-9ft-49-95-54-95-/221150764052?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&var=&hash=item337d9cdc14
and the shimanos i use discontinued since the early 90's Laughing on the esox rods, ok one is an early model biomaster 4500, the aerlex on the other rod (rear drag) is what the early aero baitrunners 4500 through to 6010 etc came from i think
Outfit for 50-120gram soft lures!  Ideas? IMG00824-20111017-0147
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:45 pm

jonnycichla wrote:Thanks mate!! No not the only lures im going to fish!(just like the look and action) and think the savage gear looks good!! im looking at a heavy soft lure/jerkbait setup! Also a lighter lure maybe little jigging setup also! (maybe a fixed spool setup for this)

Also if posible able to used for salt water as may take on holiday with me sometime!!

You made sence with the multi reel and trigger grip rod! So thinking id better try and get to use this setup!

price wise! prob £100 reel and £100 rod on each setups!

in that case go for the heavy set up first and then look at a light fixed spool set up later, if its for holidays are you meaning sea stuff or a travel sort of set up?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks will look at this stuff! and will go for the heavyer setup first as dont wont to be underguned!

its for use in rivermouths into sea when going to sri lanka! so salt yes buddy!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 pm

ill also give you this hugely helpfull piece of advice

with lures dont fall for all the hype in essence jerkbaits come basically in two types
those that move side to side (glide baits)
those that move up and down (pull baits)
both can sink float be neutral etc but this can lead to terms with pull baits especially like dive rise chop baits etc
dive rise is a floating pull bait that dives when you pull the rod tip and rises on the pause the opposite is a rise dive lol etc they all do much the same thing with slight variations in that some rise flat some rise blep up some have tails that flop ...
glide baits do exactly that glide side to side some like mantas swing really wide and you have to manage the slack line on the pause to get them wide and the best effect some like sliders just sort of switch sides sort of flanking, some like the smuttly db4 roll and weave a fair bit during the retreive.

crankbaits (plugs) do that crank em back and the work twitch em they work a much underrated lure these days but i would never ever ever ;eave home without a bomber magnum long a if i am pike fishing (these are cheap as well about 5-6 quid from ebay or agm lures

soft plastic lures are cheating lol but if push comes to shove i always have somewhere nearby super sandras, waterland watasugis, some other giant shads and grubs plus things like dawgs etc

spinnerbaits for years i thought these were a joke until i witnessed one take a water apart i quickly bought a lot of that brand and to this day they are still the best bar none spinnerbaits ive ever seen for pike, i offer you the muskie machinery spinnerbait chicos lures is the only stockist of these in the uk i know of but they are worth every penny
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 pm

jonnycichla wrote:Thanks will look at this stuff! and will go for the heavyer setup first as dont wont to be underguned!

its for use in rivermouths into sea when going to sri lanka! so salt yes buddy!

its not about being undergunned i get rods to suit the lures, i know i can subdue in short order any pike that swims on some of my lighter rods like a 7 ft thing ive got that i use for lures up to an ounce
with lure fishing the rod reel etc are a piece of the link that allows you to work the lures you want to use
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:33 pm

The rod i use most regularly is a SavaGear big lure & jerk 7' rated upto 150g.
It's not a billiard cue type jerkbait rod though, it's quite forgiving and i cast lures from 20g upto 150g, that's the reason i like it, i'm not too restricted to what lures i carry. 20g lures aren't ideal, to a lesser degree neither are 150g lures, but it casts and works both upper and lower weights. It's best suited to lures say 50g to 120g.
I use an Okuma Citrix low profile reel with it, loaded with 65lb braid. 65lb is as heavy as you can go with this small low profile reel, any heavier and it doesn't hold enough.
I do have other set ups, but truth be known for what i do which is just pike on lures from the bank, then really this set up would do me as it's mid range & multi purpose. Plus i only carry one set up when i'm out, too lazy to hump two set ups around with me! Laughing
I do sometimes use a lighter set up, i also sometimes use a heavier set up & a fixed spool set up, but the majority of the time i use the set up above.
It's nice to have a few set ups, but not strictly necessary especially when you're 1st starting out. Depends on your own views, how much money you want to spend and what you enjoy; i've never got into owning large amounts of rods/reels/lures etc I don't own any expensive lures/rods/reels either, all my tackle is pretty standard but does the job.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks guys and noodle for your help on setup! spent last few days looking at stuff and planked on Diawa! Thinking its top quolity gear all round!

im buying the Millionaire Proteus multi left hand! 290-15IB line! (whot 100IB will it hold)??

and for Rod! The Whisker jerkbait 6.6ft 2-6 ozs! (whots that in grams) to all you clever guys on the site lol Smile

thanks again!!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm

no idea on the braid i have a bulk spool of the stuff and just put a bit of mono on then fill it up with braid, grams to ounces its 28 -1 ounces or to do a rough one use 25gms per ounce
so 56-168gms
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jonnycichla Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Thort there"d be some clever blep on hear buddy! Very Happy thanks again buddy!!

jonnycichla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down