Moving swims

Go down

Moving swims Empty Moving swims

Post  plumb68 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Not something I do very often at all mainly because Its to much hassle, and the handful of times I have I've still blanked.
On Sunday after 4 hours I decided to move to the pit behind me, when reeling in I had a pike follow my bait in, I grabbed my lure rod but no luck, I moved anyway and blanked but should I have stayed put knowing there was a pike in front of me Question
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Moving swims Empty Re: Moving swims

Post  tomthepiker on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't like moving to often either i went on saturday I had a bait in my first swim I had no pick ups but my mate had one follow his lure in on my swim so I left mine in bout hour then I thought I'd move thinking its the pikes moved on I went couple swims up my bait then drifted to the first swim I went to and then within five mins my bait had been taken right in front of the first swim! So I guess what I'm trying to say Is next time il stay put I think unless there is no activity at all
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Right that's it I've decided to go with th majority of comments lol, I will stay put in future Very Happy
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Haha don't rely on my answer
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:54 pm

It's the best one I got, so next time I blank it's all your fault lol!
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm

very rare i move, loads of times ive been in a swim, nothing for 6 hours then bang fish on. o know lots move every 30 mins or hour but thats not for me. static deadbait, static angler lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

In general I move a lot unless i'm on a stillwater. Quite happy to sit patiently on a lake but when on rivers/drains etc i'll move swims every hour or so. Quite often i'll walk up the bank one way and drop into 4 or 5 swims then do the same on the way back to the car.
Sometimes you just get a feeling that a swim isn't goin to produce so quite ofter it'll be 20-30 mins in those swims before moving on. Of course if i see bait fish shoals moving about or scattering fry etc further up/down river i'll up sticks and get myself to that area pretty much immediately. I'll also make a note of times i catch in swims and over the years it's true that in some swims i know pretty much how long to give it and when feeding times have been in the past etc.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 pm

I prefer roaving but that's probably due to the weather!
Its a great way to keep warm in winter.
Tried static fishing but for some reason most of my runs come quickly.
Take my last session as an example.
Apart from the first fish which I had afterr 2hrs in the first swim, 3 other fish came within 15mins of casting and one while attaching the indicators!
Ok so I think they were realy having it that day but sessions I've had in the past have generally produced a fish within 30 minutes of casting in the right place.
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm

I never move swims I tend to leave my baits in for 20 minutes and then recast to a different area of the swim. I also find if they are having they take it quick. I waited all day the other weekend and then recast at dusk and before I got back up the bank the first rod was off and on the end a 19lb 1oz beauty. I just tend to spin around my peg to keep warm if am getting cold see if I can grab a jack or a nice perch.
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 pm

plumb68 wrote:when reeling in I had a pike follow my bait in, I grabbed my lure rod

Should have wobbled a deadbait past it. A lure is something else and wholly artificial that triggers a different response.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum