PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lancaster Canal

+17
petestanley
-CrAiG-
adie1200
Johnny1
kell
Rich_
neilgriffs
Alex Makk
blacky99
tc
stubbo
Tigi113
tomthepiker
noodle
welsh piker
plumb68
Eric Edwards
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Lancaster Canal - Page 2 Empty Re: Lancaster Canal

Post  Alex Makk Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 pm

plumb68 wrote:I'm in my second year as a PAC member, the reason I joined was the good they do for pike fishing.
Now I would like to go to local meetings but am a bit(lot) the quiet type, so would like to hear the full story's of the people that quit cos you have totally put me off ever going to a meeting

why be put off from what others like myself have expressed Wayne?

sometimes things are not always everyones cup of tea, once my membership finished I soon found myself being a member of the LAS, for the 3rd year going now...
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  neilgriffs Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 pm

been a pac member for about 3 years going along to my local regional meetings , not found it at all clicky, been to a couple talks at another region and found a good welcome there to, just my 2 pence worth

neilgriffs

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 am

Most people find it hard to approach someone they don't know. Members go to regional meetings to meet up with their mates, have a drink and watch a slideshow, they don't intend to leave people out, they just don't think about it. I try to make a point of speaking to different people at every meeting just help them feel more welcome but I can't get to see everyone, we might have fifty or more at our meetings. Likewise the RO can't get around everyone - he's usually far too busy dealing with club/region business on the night.

A bunch of old friends chatting and having a beer could look like a clique I suppose but I'm pretty sure that if you talk to them, they'll talk back.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Eric, as on MD forum,

what about lure anglers targeting chub and perch(coarse fish)? will they have to pay for the PAC membership and fees to fish the canal/s with smaller lures like shads, small alphabet lure and spinners spinnerbaits? obviously the pike present the threat from being bitten off is there so only option is wire trace? which people would instantly class that certain fisherman as a 'piker'

Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Alex, the majority of poachers fish for pike and perch with a lure setup. The canal has been a prime pike fishery in the past but poaching has reduced the pike population to a handful of jacks and so we are putting measures in place to cut down on the poaching. I'm afraid that will mean casual lure fishing can only be carried out by PAC members.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Alex, the majority of poachers fish for pike and perch with a lure setup. The canal has been a prime pike fishery in the past but poaching has reduced the pike population to a handful of jacks and so we are putting measures in place to cut down on the poaching. I'm afraid that will mean casual lure fishing can only be carried out by PAC members.
that way you will know who is fishing it sounds good if its balliffed on a regular basis
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich_ Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Though it's not really that far from me,I've never fished there & I don't know much about the canal, apart from talking to people in the past who used to rate it as a good pike venue & I don't know how many people use now, that's why I'm asking. The more genuine anglers on the bank the better you'd think to look out for poaching, you don't want to reduce numbers. 35 mile of tow path is a lot to keep an eye on.

The quality of the fishing as you say it is now on there may not be attractive to many pike anglers, & the general coarse anglers will now have to go often enough to justify the price of a season ticket. Are there many day tickets sold now?

Rich_

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Impossible to say, it's currently covered by the CRT roving ticket but since everybody knows the CRT don't actually bailiff their canals very few people buy one.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 pm

MrMakk wrote:Eric, as on MD forum,

what about lure anglers targeting chub and perch(coarse fish)? will they have to pay for the PAC membership and fees to fish the canal/s with smaller lures like shads, small alphabet lure and spinners spinnerbaits? obviously the pike present the threat from being bitten off is there so only option is wire trace? which people would instantly class that certain fisherman as a 'piker'

to be honest if there is a chance of being bitten off you should have a wire trace on even if targiting other fish, you cant endanger one fish in favour for another mate not having ago but its a bit selfish........
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm

So how come its alright for coarse anglers to catch perch or chub on the lob worm or maggot and not lure just because you have to be a full paid up member of the PAC. and just becase the poachers use lure setups is a lame excuse IMO. I find it odd because I always though poachers use them nets and longlines and create bonfires on the bank especially with whats been happening recently? scratch

stubbo where in my post does it say I want to endanger other fish? I was more or less say it as common sense.
But that isn't to do with my main queries on this thread.
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Alex, the majority of poachers fish for pike and perch with a lure setup. The canal has been a prime pike fishery in the past but poaching has reduced the pike population to a handful of jacks and so we are putting measures in place to cut down on the poaching. I'm afraid that will mean casual lure fishing can only be carried out by PAC members.

Total rubbish most poachers use straight pegging and netting.
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:42 pm

I think it's good idea it's cutting down on muppets catching pike and flinging it round on the bank if you want to catch perch and Chubb you just have to take it on the chin and not spin for them, also I think poachers use use any way they can to catch a meal at least it's kinda stopping one way.......or trying to
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich_ Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Out of interest, how many keen pike anglers actually fish there now with the population down to just a few jacks?

Rich_

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 am

MrMakk wrote:So how come its alright for coarse anglers to catch perch or chub on the lob worm or maggot and not lure just because you have to be a full paid up member of the PAC. and just becase the poachers use lure setups is a lame excuse IMO. I find it odd because I always though poachers use them nets and longlines and create bonfires on the bank especially with whats been happening recently? scratch

stubbo where in my post does it say I want to endanger other fish? I was more or less say it as common sense.
But that isn't to do with my main queries on this thread.

simple the pac are fronting the money and quite rightly they get to decide the rules, just the same as any other club would
see if you can get on horseshoe redmire etc without being in the carpy group
or the las canal club without being a member of the las
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 am

Rich_ wrote:Out of interest, how many keen pike anglers actually fish there now with the population down to just a few jacks?

thats how it always was with the odd chance of a double and unicorns poo chance of a twenty
i used to live a few hundred yards from it and fished it a lot, learning about using joker on 26's just to catch bait
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Whoa, hold on Alex, I never commented on your skills at all. PAC are taking this stretch of canal over as a benefit for their members - now what's wrong with that? If you want to join PAC you'll be welcomed with open arms, if you don't want to join, you can't expect to share in the members' benefits.
PAC members will be paying more than ordinary members overall, and that EXTRA payment will bring the EXTRA benefits.
If you join Warrington AA (for instance) and you want to night fish, you'll have to pay EXTRA for the privilege. If you join a club with a separate trout fishing water (as many clubs have) you'll have to pay EXTRA to do that.

If you don't like it at all, you have the option to go elsewhere.

Last edited by Eric Edwards on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 pm

I must say that i fail to understand the logic of taking on the lease for this section of canal. As anyone local to the canal will say very few people actually fish it. I do fish the canal for all species, including pike, but very rarely see anyone else. Further to that i often walk along the canal and can honestly say that i can walk 20 miles without seeing one angler.
It goes without saying therefore that any PAC member could already easily fish anywhere they desired on the canal at any time.
I see there is thought of "developing" the fishery and also opening it up for matches. I guess the question is developing it for whom?
With regard to the very few existing users i would be very surprised if they will pay to join the club therefore there will be no new revenue for PAC. Further to that it's worth noting that matches nowadays are generally only ever fished on own club waters and i doubt very much that there will be will be any takers, therefore that is likely also to be another non starter as a revenue stream.
Being local to the canal i shoulld say that when i do see any anglers they are very often pensioners and youngsters. It is a shame that these people will lose access to their local amenity. I know it will be said that they could join but it is an unfortunate reality that they will be unable to. As i say it's a shame when as stated prevously any PAC member could already have easy access to the canal

With regard to the fishing indeed the canal does contain some pike and you may be extremely lucky and catch a double. Most taken however are 5lb or less. It's also worth noting that pike are generally only caught in the winter months, and any other time can be totally fruitless. It's most definitely not one of my favorite piking venues.

So again i do very much wonder why PAC would want to take the lease on this venue when i truly cannot see this being a benefit to members, and when, as others clubs who have tried it have found, the cost of leasing and "running" the venue outstrips any possible revenue.

For your information by the way i have absolutely no personal axe to grind and already pay upwards of £1500 pa on various licences for different venues so to me cost is not an issue. Not all can do that.

Johnny1

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny1 Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Just one furtehr thing worth noting. On three seperate occasions when i have actually seen some "illegal" removal of fish from the canal and have contacted the police as well as the environment agency they have not been interested and have not, and will not attend. It won't work!!

Johnny1

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Interesting comment that last one, I wonder how you were perceived. Just recently we've worked hand-in-glove with the EA over some fish theft and we've got a major result which I can't yet talk about because it's going through the courts. I find the EA very responsive, we have a great working relationship with them and I'm in no doubt that they will give us the backup that we need.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 pm

I think I must be dreaming someone else reports illegals fish activity and says they had zero response well it cannot have been in Lancashire because they are super fast and reactive over there.
Only in Yorkshire and the rest of the country are they rubbish so I'm not haveing that johnnycake ask Eric what you should do because the are the dogs nuts where you are mate . Are you sure you are not dreaming that you phoned them ?
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Have you decided how long you're going to sulk for? Is it a permanent sulk or will it peter out after a while?
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Bit condecending Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:19 am

never sulked in my life mate but i think you personally live in a fantasy land. When someone pust FACTS in your face you decide to ignore them if they do not fall inline with your opinion.
I love pike fishing and hate to see what is happening to the fish and I have tried to do something about it ( Although you make out i have not ) or not done it correctly ? I know i have reported fish been taken and i have sat and waited while no one comes ? now i am no hero and would not tackle two scrots on my own ( And dont think it is fear i am a big boy and know how to handle myself ) but these people think nothing of pulling knifes out ( I no for a FACT i used to train some of them ).
If the ea would have turned up i would have given them my assistance THEY DID NOT TURN UP ? dissmayed to say the least. Then I reported another sighting and again nothing so pray tell what dialouge do i need to use because i would like to know ?
There is only so long i will bash my head on a brick wall.
There have been other instances even on here but i suppose people dont like to speak up may be you intimidate them or they are just a5se lickers i dont know.but i dont kiss ar5e i respect every man as an equal no matter who they are and it is bloody annoying to have someone tell you that you must never have NOT reported something right is a little offensive. And the way you put it across only PAC members can report things correctly. I have friends who are pac members and top blokes they are too but no differant to me or the others who are non pac.I even know some who pretend to be in pac lol ?
Every thing is after the fact where were they when they netted thorne canal ?
SULK i dont think so MAD yes?
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny1 Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 pm

You wonder how i was "perceived". I'll try not to take offence but it's difficult not to in all honesty. How i hope i was perceived was as an ordinary member of the public reporting something i considered to be wrong. I wasn't expecting nor wanting any special treatment. For further clarification on each occaision it was lone "anglers" who were taking fish for their supper albeit maybe three or four at a time. Also it wasn't pike being taken it was bream. The response i got on two occaisions from the police was "i'm sorry sir but we're unable to send anybody there at the moment" It was on the third occasion i decided to contact the environment agency and they asked if i had reported it to the police!!!!! Can't win.
These instances happened about three years ago and whilst i'm aware it still does happen it is to such a very minor extent on the Lancaster Canal that i don't let it concern me now. I don't let it concern me primarily because the canal is a fantastic general course fishery that has improved year after year after year and clearly any removal of fish has had no effect whatsoever. I'm saying this after 50 years of fishing, as both pleasure and match angler, on the canal so i do know what i am talking about.

In an earlier response i said that the canal wasn't my favorite fishery but that is absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the angling which quite frankly is normally superb. All species wax and wane naturally and indeed the character changes from one year to the next but i'd say from an overall angling perspective it really cannot be improved.
The reason it's not my favorite fishery and i believe the prime reason that few anglers frequent its banks, and certainly why matches are no longer held is the, at times, rediculous volume of boat traffic. it can become at times almost "unfishable.

Just another thought on fish being removed from the water. you can walk along the canal bank in the more northern reaches and you can sometimes see dead fish of all species strewn on the bank. This has nothing to do with anglers, or even, people. It is down to otters, that are thriving and increasing in numbers and are taking and killing more fish than they can eat. This is a far bigger threat that any "poaching" and unfortunately you will most definitely not be getting any enviroment agency assistance with that!!

For the record i'm not a PAC member. I am an avid "angler" without any tag that likes a challenge, I also look after the environment and at the same time i will support every single user of the amenity.
I have to remember that the canal was built for boats!!

Johnny1

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Another question Eric is if the canal in question is anything like the one near me (which sounds like it is) it gets pretty quiet you walk a long stretch of the canal without seeing another angler and just say there is someone poaching the amount of times non anglers ask me do i take the fish home or put it back is amazing they just don't know so they wouldn't even think about reporting someone throwing a fish into a bag you are relying on a proper fisherman to stumble across a poacher but now your kinda chopping down numbers (mainly in winter) by just letting PAC members fish for pike don't get me wrong I think it's good idea but i think you need to somehow get a message out to non anglers aswell.
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum