PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

going for the british record this weekend!

+6
noodle
treble
Andy Macfarlane
rozzo
stubbo
catchafishy123
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

going for the british record this weekend! Empty going for the british record this weekend!

Post  catchafishy123 Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 pm

just booked 3 days of fishing in hawkshead this weekend, had to take stubbo with me which is the only downside to it, just have to make sure my camera working, if batteries go you will just have to take my word on it Very Happy Very Happy
catchafishy123
catchafishy123

Back to top Go down

going for the british record this weekend! Empty Re: going for the british record this weekend!

Post  stubbo Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

catchafishy123 wrote:just booked 3 days of fishing in hawkshead this weekend, had to take stubbo with me which is the only downside to it, just have to make sure my camera working, if batteries go you will just have to take my word on it Very Happy Very Happy
i will make sure the unhooking matt is secure as well........ Laughing rest assured they will be a picture this time .......even if its just are phil crying netting my fish. Laughing
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

going for the british record this weekend! Empty Re: going for the british record this weekend!

Post  rozzo Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm

good luck guys Very Happy
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Just remember lads, if it's only 4 and a half feet long, it's probably pretty average as far as pike go and it's not worth the space on your camera. Pike like that can be caught willy-nilly and I wouldn't even get out of bed for one.

I'm holding out for a 6 footer. I reckon that should break my PB or at the very least equal it.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:45 pm

jesus its gills are hanging out?

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 am

treble wrote:jesus its gills are hanging out?

We can't assume that was bad-handling. Rakers can and do get broken from time to time but usually they fuse at the broken end and the raker continues to function normally, even though the break itself won't rejoin. I know I've had it happen to me and I've also caught fish which are trailing a raker but from what I can gather and from other pikers experiences, it doesn't automatically mean the fish will die by any means.

I would however question the handling of the pike. It's not going to drop but it's not ideal either. The angler should be on his knees, the left-hand should be holding the jaw firmly and the right-hand should be supporting the weight of the fish. It shouldn't be firmly grasped by the gut-area, where all the vital organs are, like I have the fish held in my avatar.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 pm

wasn't assuming anything. looks very limp though and gripping the fish like that so close to the air sack would prob cause the fish to burp out its stored air leaving the fish in an unconscious state.

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:25 pm

ok guys well spotted this fish did have some damage before we had this there where a set off small trebles in it already obviously not good for the pike but it went back better than it came out ...i always put this photo on just to wind our kid up he is not very confident at handling pike but he is getting there with every fish we all started somewhere dont forget . I must admit on the few sessions we have been together pike fishing he has caught some very immpessive pike and the welfere is always no1 he has let me hold onto the big fish for the photos now that is putting the fish first and not himself in my mind .He now feels he could hold a bigger fish with confidence......might let him hold mine this weekend Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n333YESORsw

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

c/mon the fish Laughing
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:

We can't assume that was bad-handling. Rakers can and do get broken from time to time but usually they fuse at the broken end and the raker continues to function normally, even though the break itself won't rejoin. I know I've had it happen to me and I've also caught fish which are trailing a raker but from what I can gather and from other pikers experiences, it doesn't automatically mean the fish will die by any means.

I would however question the handling of the pike. It's not going to drop but it's not ideal either. The angler should be on his knees, the left-hand should be holding the jaw firmly and the right-hand should be supporting the weight of the fish. It shouldn't be firmly grasped by the gut-area, where all the vital organs are, like I have the fish held in my avatar.
thinking back andy i have caught plenty off pike with gill damage over the years some very severe but they have looked in good heath still feeding that is.....
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm

the photo has disappeared, i guess someone took it down or you requested that the pic be deleted? it was a good advert for de-barbed hooks if anything!

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm

treble wrote:the photo has disappeared, i guess someone took it down or you requested that the pic be deleted? it was a good advert for de-barbed hooks if anything!

why pray tell
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:10 pm

The photo was taken off at the request of the person that posted it !!
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 pm

adie1200 wrote:The photo was taken off at the request of the person that posted it !!

prob a good thing to do, wasn't a good advert for the site or themselves

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm

How did you get on? Will we see your picture in this weeks Angling Times.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:22 pm

treble wrote:
adie1200 wrote:The photo was taken off at the request of the person that posted it !!

dont agree with that like i said the fish went in with better odds not seen many of your fish on here ...yet
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 pm

psion wrote:
no mate everything was going to plan then my dog took ill suddenly then just got worse turned out he had cancer had to have him put to sleep on tuesday absolutly gutted mate Crying or Very sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tc Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:01 pm

stubbo wrote:
psion wrote:sorry to hear that fella, you dont half get attached to them dont you.
no mate everything was going to plan then my dog took ill suddenly then just got worse turned out he had cancer had to have him put to sleep on tuesday absolutly gutted mate Crying or Very sad
tc
tc

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 pm

[quote="stubbo"]
treble wrote:

dont agree with that like i said the fish went in with better odds not seen many of your fish on here ...yet[/quote

i'll maybe post a video now i have my new pentax optio camera. even has a microscope function so hope to get some real close-ups of pikes mouths.

i'm saying no more about the pic you posted

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Correct me if im wrong but I don't think stubbo caused the damage to the fish Iv seen fish caught by him and they all in fine condition you can't help what people have done to the fish before you
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am

tomthepiker wrote:Correct me if im wrong but I don't think stubbo caused the damage to the fish Iv seen fish caught by him and they all in fine condition you can't help what people have done to the fish before you
your right tom the fishes welfare comes first pal years ago i sat in the water with this very sickly thin old looking pike for over an hour just to get it upright my mate thought i was barmy buts thats just me tom Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Sorry to hear about the dog mate. Mine went through tretment for cancer, did OK for a bit and then it came back full-on and he got put down shortly after.

Gutted for you mate. Better than people so they are.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Sorry to hear about the dog mate. Mine went through tretment for cancer, did OK for a bit and then it came back full-on and he got put down shortly after.

your right on that one andy it was so sudden andy thats why it has uset us so much ,he was running aroud fit as anything on the saturday then just went down hill had to put him out of his misery on the tuesday feels like i have murdered him its hard mate...... Crying or Very sad
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:14 pm

stubbo wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Sorry to hear about the dog mate. Mine went through tretment for cancer, did OK for a bit and then it came back full-on and he got put down shortly after.

your right on that one andy it was so sudden andy thats why it has uset us so much ,he was running aroud fit as anything on the saturday then just went down hill had to put him out of his misery on the tuesday feels like i have murdered him its hard mate...... Crying or Very sad
they really get yah don't they m8,,, my little boy just cost me 1200 quid to keep him alive Shocked would pay it again tomorra tho for the little scamp.
dogs heh? love em to death me
all i would say really is get another as soon as poss cos every dog with a good owner is one less the bad uns can get their hands on Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next