PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gravel pit

+2
Dave-Newman
tomthepiker
6 posters

Go down

Gravel pit Empty Gravel pit

Post  tomthepiker Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 am

I'm going to a gravel pit near me tomorrow Iv never fished one its deepest area would be 5 metres shallowest is 0.5 metres what would you guys recommend as some good tactics as I'm wanting to hunt down a big girl Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Gravel pit Empty Re: Gravel pit

Post  Dave-Newman Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 am

running lead and alarms...

have at least 1 bait popped up.

corners, reedy and snaggy areas.
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Gravel pit Empty Re:Gravel Pit

Post  vince101 Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi Tom.
Iv'e caught most most of my big girls on the paternoster popped up deadbait method it works very well
on gravel pits.p.s wrap up warm bud!
vince101
vince101

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Nice one guys cheers for the info that's what I'm thinking pop one up one the alarms and then I'm going to roam the other around on a float I've just chucked some deals in a predator plus/ sardine mix to soak up over night ye I'm definatley going to wrap up warm do think I should look out for the deep sections or really work the margins?
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 pm

hi tom,, i'd look for the bottom of the drop offs from shallow to deep since we're having a cold snap and most fish will have headed for deeper water. i wouldn't sit on the baits too long either m8 as the fish will probably be a bit lethargic.
good luck with it m8, hope you catch a monster Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Ok noted down mate I always get worried with moving tho I always think that Iv drawn them in and then I move off there's two of us going so I'm thinking just leap frog each other around the pit
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 pm

tom it can be as simple as just re-casting m8,,, its weird but sometimes if your bait is 8ft from a fish ,,, nowt,, then recast to a similar area and bam. no need to up sticks and move,, just recast regularly when its this cold cos like us the fish just sit still in the cold m8 lol
(bit like lure fishing really,, search the whole swim)
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

hi tom gravel pits can sometimes be hard to crack i fish a large gravel pit from time to time and it took me a while to find where the best pegs were.
when you fish around the pit try to find some features with a lead or a float set up i like the polaris type lets you know the depths/dropoffs
look for feeding birds/grebes/cormarants etc they will show you where the bait fish are and if its a bit warmer try lures as well
the pit i fish theres about 3 good hotspots where there seems to be a holding spot for the pike but the next peg can be dead to be honest it took me about 3 seasons to get to grip with it but like the saying goes good things come to those who wait...............or should i say work at it..........this is one of the fish from the pit...

Gravel pit Cheste10

Last edited by stubbo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : crap spelling)
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Good info guys, I went there couple weekends ago it was hard fishing but I got one out at bout 8lb I didn't bother relocating after that catch next time I think im going in light and have a roam around one thing I did notice that all the pikers stuck to the road next to the pits instead of roaming around no one had any fish apart from me tho so I'm not going to do the same as them I think.
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 pm

good on yah m8 glad you reported back. the pike will deffo be grouping up preparing for spawning now so if you find the males then the big girls will be close. they won't spawn yet tho while this cold snap lasts so go for it ;-)
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 pm

I think that's my plan I'm going to try get there end of this week or weekend if weather is any good il let you know what happens
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 pm

I'd go wobbling round it and keep warm. That way you also get to search out all the depths and swims because the fish could be anywhere right now.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down