Favourite pike flies.

Go down

Favourite pike flies.

Post  Richard Neath on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I just thought, to kick things off, I'd see if there are any real faves that people use? Size, colour, materials etc. Any tips for tying patterns, favourite hooks etc etc.
Personally, I seem to do ok on darker patterns - grey or black wing with a lighter underbelly, of course, always with 'a bit of red' in there. I can't seem to tie a pike fly without adding a splash of red. I have no idea whether it does any good whatsoever - it just seems the right thing to do somehow...
Richard Neath

View user profile http://www.richardneath.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Favourite pike flies.

Post  Cyprydave on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:17 am

I don't have any faves as yet as I'm still to get out there chuck some but I'm certainly going to have a try at tying some Baitfish flies and I'm looking forward to trying some poppers on the surface in the summer.
Cyprydave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigi113 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Know what you mean about red, mine end up with red cheeks or underbelly Very Happy but now its got to have sparkle or flash in it Very Happy ......Had two pike today but conditions where not good strong wind and flow of river was abit to fast but having a full session tomorrow hopefully weather will have carmed down Wink
Tigi113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyprydave on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 am

Deer Creeks gliss and glint is good as it has flash mixed in.
But I still will put a few strips of crinkle flash down the lateral line
Cyprydave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tc on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Ive just made some flies out of bits and pieces Ive found round the house (nicked the kids feathers and shiny stuff from old toys) not used them yet but ill let you know if any catch. though looking at them, there is not a chance in hell that they will work. Shocked Razz
tc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Neath on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Nice fish Tigi. Couldn't help noticing a lot of blue clamped in her jaws. That's not a colour I've experimented with very much - may have to tie a few up.

I'd love to be able to get out at the moment but the weather up here's been a bit brutal lately. I have a minimum 110 mile round trip to the nearest pike fishing (and that's not too good a venue) - realistically, I'm looking at 200 miles. I tend not to travel that far when I know I'm going to be freezing, gale blown, soaking wet and uncomforatble!

I'm off to tie up a couple of blue ones in readiness for the better weather...
Richard Neath

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyprydave on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 am

tc wrote:Ive just made some flies out of bits and pieces Ive found round the house (nicked the kids feathers and shiny stuff from old toys) not used them yet but ill let you know if any catch. though looking at them, there is not a chance in hell that they will work. Shocked Razz

Iv'e seen vids on you tube of someone making flies out of a Halloween wig... might make my next trip to poundland a bit more enjoyable Very Happy

youtube.com/watch?v=lRbOSS0BSAE
Cyprydave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyprydave on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:59 pm

My 1st attempts today

Cyprydave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Neath on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Nice one! All of those will catch, no bother. I like the bottom one especially.
I've been tying flies without eyes just lately, specifically to try and keep the weight down. After getting shattered last year casting heavy flies with big eyes, on heavy hooks and with loads of epoxy on the head, I'm determined to try and keep the weight down. Plus - I always find that after one fish (often just after a good solid knock) the eyes come off. They look great with big eyes but I'm yet to be convinced that they really make too much difference. I'll have to see after a few sessions this year if I'm blanking - then I'll maybe go back to the eye'd versions!
I'll take a few pics of mine and post them later.
What body material you using? I use Piketrek stuff generally but am always open to suggestions - the material on your flies looks really light and as if it ought to have plenty of movement.
Richard Neath

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyprydave on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:23 pm

There all tied with Deer Creeks Gliss and Glint Plus I think its just flash fibre which allot of places do I'm not 100% on that though
Cyprydave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tc on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:34 pm

they look good mate. im not putting a pic of mine on here unless i catch a 30 on them Razz Razz Razz
Cyprydave wrote:My 1st attempts today

tc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tigi113 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes Richard that was a nice fish mark free. its was overcast and a good ripple on the water that day next time I went out it was bright and no wind I could not get a bite on that fly.....My thinking on putting eyes on flies is the pikes got to know where the head of is meal is so when he hits my fly it will be near the eyes hopefully giving me a better chance of a hook up Wink Wink ....
Cyprydave nice looking flies there, have you tryed them yet ??, am of to poundland this week to look at the wigs Laughing
Tigi113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikeyjoe on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Fulling mill's "Monster Dalhberg Diver" has been killing it for me on the southern chalkstreams

Gonna start tying a few flies this week so will post up my first attempts
Pikeyjoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down