Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7)

Go down

Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7) Empty Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7)

Post  NamesJackButNotASmallPike on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 am

I want to go pike fishing but the places people have recommended are over an hour away (ladybower reservoir etc.) there is one place, allestree, lake but it is rather large; and obviously with little to no experience I don't believe I have the knack of choosing a spot. If other, perhaps smaller, fisheries could be recommended it would be greatly appreciated, I also will need help setting a rig up; preferably deadbait. I will be grateful for any help given.
NamesJackButNotASmallPike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7) Empty Re: Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7)

Post  blacky99 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 am

seriously the best thing for you to do is to go out with an experienced piker. fish care has to be your number 1 priority. they will show you how to rig up etc but most importantly they will show you the correct way to handle a pike out of the water. check the pac website for your local region, go to a meeting and show your interest. its in all our interests to show you how to fish properly. good luck.
blacky99
blacky99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7) Empty Re: Beginners Pike Lake near Morley (DE7)

Post  Eric Edwards on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Whereabouts do you live? The PAC has a growing number of coaching days planned for the coming year and there's likely to be somewhere close to you where you can learn the things you need to know.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh hang on, you're in Morley of course. There will be several PAC coaching days ar Fairburn Ings in the coming year. The dates for these are not yet set but there will be a new page appearing on the PAC website in a few days advertising all coaching days across the uk. When the Fairburn dates have been decided they will go up on that page.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NamesJackButNotASmallPike on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Oh hang on, you're in Morley of course. There will be several PAC coaching days ar Fairburn Ings in the coming year. The dates for these are not yet set but there will be a new page appearing on the PAC website in a few days advertising all coaching days across the uk. When the Fairburn dates have been decided they will go up on that page.

How much do you learn from these coaching days, and will there be an advantage of going to these days twice or will I learn everything I need to in a day?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcaff on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:21 am

Going to 1 of the PAC meetings will help you a great deal but your never going to learn all you need in 1 lesson (hell theres lads on here who have probably fished for pike since the middle ages n they're still learning). The best way to learn is on the bank but as blacky said make sure you go with someone experienced in handling pike. Heres a link to a few vids that may help with tackle. http://pikeangler.forumotion.com/t2963-videos-to-help-beginners
fatcaff
fatcaff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:24 pm

A typical day would involve coaching in tracemaking, setting up deadbait tackle, fish handling and fish care and modern lure fishing.

That's a long way short of a complete pike fishing course but it's enough to get you started. If you also joined your local PAC region you would get the opportunity to meet up with experienced pikers and learn from them on an ongoing basis.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:54 pm

NamesJackButNotASmallPike wrote:
Eric Edwards wrote:Oh hang on, you're in Morley of course. There will be several PAC coaching days ar Fairburn Ings in the coming year. The dates for these are not yet set but there will be a new page appearing on the PAC website in a few days advertising all coaching days across the uk. When the Fairburn dates have been decided they will go up on that page.

How much do you learn from these coaching days, and will there be an advantage of going to these days twice or will I learn everything I need to in a day?

The more you go, the better the chance of hooking up with some new fishing buddies mate. Just be entirely open and tell people you're a new piker and I guarantee you'll get people falling over themselves to go fishing with you. Pikers are extremely good when it comes to forming new friendships. You might not get any invites to fish anywhere brilliant right away but thats to be expected. You will get folk willing to show you the ropes from the off though and so long as you're friendly and enthusiastic, you'll be fishing well and on some good waters in a sort space of time.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm

The new PAC coaching events page is now up and running. Only a couple of coaching days on there as yet but we'll be adding more as the dates and venues become confirmed.

It's here:

http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/pac-coaching-events-2013/
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NamesJackButNotASmallPike on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Went to a local reservoir with my uncle, who has experience pike fishing, all went well. caught two jacks and stalked one 20lb+ female spawning in the reeds, didn't bother attempting to catch her though, as I didn't want to disrupt her.

Last edited by NamesJackButNotASmallPike on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Named a venue)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 am

NamesJackButNotASmallPike wrote:Went to a local Reservoir with my uncle, who has experience pike fishing, all went well. caught two jacks and stalked one 20lb+ female spawning in the reeds, didn't bother attempting to catch her though, as I didn't want to disrupt her.

Sounds like you have got off to a good start Wink
I know that water well, there are some good fish in there. Notts PAC have held several successful fish-ins on there also..

Last edited by adie1200 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Venue naming)

Bazz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 am

Can you fish all year round there then? Was gonna go to A1 pits but apparently they have banned lure fishing because someone foul hooked a carp lol
plumb68
plumb68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blacky99 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:18 pm

NamesJackButNotASmallPike wrote:Went to a local Reservoir with my uncle, who has experience pike fishing, all went well. caught two jacks and stalked one 20lb+ female spawning in the reeds, didn't bother attempting to catch her though, as I didn't want to disrupt her.

well done on the catches.
blacky99
blacky99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:02 pm

good fishing,

A year or so back myself and Bazz fished the water on feeder/ca*p gear, the bream and roach certainly enjoyed the sweet corn. Very Happy was Barry who introduce me to the water.

Recently my friend Ian (he also a fellow LAS member) & I have been fishing on the water mentioned, it has been very very tough with recent sessions ending with blanks (I did have a follow from a perch and a jack on the latest though) so at least we're trying & that there is fish in there, however for the fear of the water, could I stress editing and quoting ''a local reservoir''. Especially since you mention a good fish in there. It could possibly entice the wrong kind of attention there, and thus spoil the fishing for more local anglers whom fish there on a regular basis.

Wayne PM inbound,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm

plumb68 wrote:Can you fish all year round there then?

It is open all year went today sadly the pike were all off on there holidays Crying or Very sad
plumb68
plumb68

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down