fladen junk

View previous topic View next topic Go down

fladen junk

Post  davi on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:31 pm

ok, first of all, i know you get what you pay for, and buy cheap buy twice and all that but the fact is people are buying them.

Now, i have gave these fladen lures a go, some swin as they should, some dont, but my main concern it the quality of the lures. I have had pike pull the trebles straight out of the lures. This isnt to much of a problem if you still manage to get the pike in but if you dont then there goes a pike with a treble stuck in it.
I have also had ones where the eyes come loose after them only been cast a couple of times. Again, with eyes coming loose from a cast, I dont think it would take a big pike to pull the eye from the lure, leaving it with trebles and a lure stuck in it.
I have emailed the company about this and the welfare of the fish but was ignored.
Has anyone else had any similar experiences with this fladen junk?
I will not buy them again, nor anything from the company but that wont stop others from buying it, and putting the pike in danger.

davi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: fladen junk

Post  Eric Edwards on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 am

I've never used Fladen tackle but I've heard similar reports to yours before. You're right to highlight it if you get such a bad experience, I wouldn't touch their gear after reading this.
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  davi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:24 am

Ill never use it again. I can understand cheap lures having flaky paint, weak hooks and bad actions but when they put the fishes health is at risk not only should people not buy them but they should be removed from the shelves. I see this stuff appearing more and more in tackle shops along with places like gooutdoors and shops like boyes, not to mention all the people iv seen fishing with it.
Id like to inform someone like trading standards maybe. They might look into it. So if anyone has had any personal experience with their gear causing a mischief let us know. Might of been a bad batch, although thats sounding unlikely due to Eric hearing similar reports.
If im not mistaken, dosent Matt Hayes now work for them?

davi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 am

I used to use a lure made by Fladen, a "Pike Beast". To be honest it was a very good lure, I've got two here now but I've not used them for years. Never had a problem with them, caught me lots of pike too, they're similar to a Believer.
12 years ago or so i was paying £5.50 for them and that was pretty cheap at that time, most sold them at £7.50. I've often wondered how good the modern Fladen lures were that i see in Go Outdoors, they're very cheap at £2 or so from what i remember, i'll happily stand to be corrected though on the price. But they are very cheap.
I don't know anyone who uses them, so i can't comment on quality.
 You're right to say if you've had problems though, at the price they sell for i would imagine that a lot buy them.
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fladen junk

Post  Al on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Phil would you happen to know a bloke called Steve Chambers good m8 of mine from back in manchester..Anyway i was wondering if you or anyone else could advise me on a good floating lure for pike where i fish there's lots of weed ,and it's very shallow close in also i need something that i can use a single hook on ( club rules )
       thx ....

Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Phil Blakey wrote:I used to use a lure made by Fladen, a "Pike Beast". To be honest it was a very good lure, I've got two here now but I've not used them for years. Never had a problem with them, caught me lots of pike too, they're similar to a Believer.
12 years ago or so i was paying £5.50 for them and that was pretty cheap at that time, most sold them at £7.50. I've often wondered how good the modern Fladen lures were that i see in Go Outdoors, they're very cheap at £2 or so from what i remember, i'll happily stand to be corrected though on the price. But they are very cheap.
I don't know anyone who uses them, so i can't comment on quality.
 You're right to say if you've had problems though, at the price they sell for i would imagine that a lot buy them.
Phil.

I'm another Pike Beast user and I never had any bother with that or any of the other Fladen lures I've used. Yes they need decent rings and trebles but I'll change them on ANY lure, regardless of who makes them.

I've also bought lures from a whole lot of producers and none of them have a flawless track record.

Lures are mass produced like anything else and they aren't all tank tested or whatever spurious rubbish they claim. There are dogs in every pack.

Look at Castaics as an instance. The wire pulled through them for a long time and the tail is pretty much guaranteed to come off after a single fish. That doesn't stop people buying them for silly amounts of cash. That's a crap lure however you dress it up. It catches fish mind you.

On the whole I reckon Fladen make half-decent gear for the price.
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Al.
I do know a Steve Chambers; is your pal a carp angler?

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Blakey on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 am

Andy.
The Fladen Pike Beasts that i have were good lures, hooks/splitrings were ok too, i didn't change mine. They were a great lure for canals.
Have you tried the Fladen lures from Go Outdoors?
Phil.

Phil Blakey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 am

ive a good few of the fladen things from the pike beast down to the minnows

yes hooks are not the best and i think ive a few missing eyes now but that goes for most plastic lures. and quite a lot of pre etex wood lures that had stick on eyes
try the 7 inch minnowbaits they make which cost a couple of quid its as near as identical to the old ryobi mugger and windells muskie snack

fantstic lures although none are quite as good as the bomber long a for that sort of lure
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top