PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner here needing help!

5 posters

Go down

Beginner here needing help! Empty Beginner here needing help!

Post  brumler Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to start pike fishing this winter. I'm an avid carp/coarse angler but never tried pike, which I've been wanting to for a while.

I'm looking for a bit of help with the tackle I need. I'm looking to lure fish on rivers/fisheries, and need some help on which are the best rods/reels/tackles to buy. I'm a student, so money isn't endless for me! So any the best cheapest tackle would be good! Or names of makes, or spec of rod/reel and I can have a search online, ebay etc.

I appreciate all the help, and thanks in advance

Rhys

brumler

Back to top Go down

Beginner here needing help! Empty Re: Beginner here needing help!

Post  plumb68 Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Best bit advice anyone can give you is go with someone with a bit of experience, especially if your starting with lures, I have been piking on and of for 20 years and still a novice, I  started lure fishing 2 years ago and they are so much harder to unhook I certainly wouldn't want to try on my own with my first fish
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  brumler Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 pm

thanks for that, i'll ask around to see if anyone i know has any! anyone any help with tackle please?

brumler

Back to top Go down

Post  plumb68 Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:07 am

Oh yeah tackle lol,
I use a wychwood agitator lure rod 20-60gram about £40 if you shop around,
A shimano sienna front drag 4000 size with I think 50lb fox braid or get power pro,
And I usually use savagegear 4 play lures the 52 gram ones there swim baits good starting point in my opinion
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  symonh2000 Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

If you were planning on deadbaiting at moderate range then your current Carp rods will most likely be adequate.

for lures you really need a dedicated lure rod... I have a couple, a Mitchell premium 2 light spinning rod of 7ft which I use for small rivers, canals etc which cost me £20 and I have a 10ft Daiwa procaster for lure fishing on lakes and larger rivers, this cost me £40.

The larger lure road is also good for boat fishing deadbaits, and for sink and draw.

For reels your carp ones will probably do as well, although on a light spinning rod you might want to use a smaller reel, say 030 or 040 size.

I never use a baitrunner when pike fishing, although if you have one you don't have to use it.

If you want a cheap rod that can do lures as well as close in deadbaits have a look at the Silstar X-performance spin in 8 or 9ft lengths. My brother has one and it is a brilliant rod for what it cost.

It was £14 from sports direct..

symonh2000

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:44 pm

for the heavier stuff a jerk bait rod will be needed to cast and impart the right action to the lure/jerk/rubber the ones I am using at the moment are 135grams and heavier 80lb power pro braid and a 6ft 6 inch toothy critter jerk rod which is bullit proof been using it on and off for 10 years
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  petestanley Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:29 pm

I use the toothy critter jerkbait rod too stubbo. Highly recommend it. Had mine for about 10 years too, pretty much the only piece of my old fishing gear I kept after my hiatus.
petestanley
petestanley

http://www.northernpiker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:03 am

petestanley wrote:I use the toothy critter jerkbait rod too stubbo. Highly recommend it. Had mine for about 10 years too, pretty much the only piece of my old fishing gear I kept after my hiatus.
cant fault it pal......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down