PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

koi as deadbait

5 posters

Go down

koi as deadbait Empty koi as deadbait

Post  tootall Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:23 pm

I got offered some dead koi and goldfish from a bloke who had a few die in his pond (don't know why they died - forgot to ask) , my questions are:

1) Is it legal to fish with such deadbaits?
2) If it is has anyone ever tried and had success?

I would guess its not legal in case of the risk of introducing disease etc but I dunno where we stand on this issue so thought i'd ask.

Just for the record i declined to take them off him.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

koi as deadbait Empty Re: koi as deadbait

Post  nickcarpy Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 pm

when we was abt 15 we used goldfish alot,live ones,we use to pop over next dors fence an get free bait,22 year ago,ad a few pike on them,not sure you can use them live now on waters?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:32 pm

nickcarpy wrote:when we was abt 15 we used goldfish alot,live ones,we use to pop over next dors fence an get free bait,22 year ago,ad a few pike on them,not sure you can use them live now on waters?

I bet the neighbours loved you Laughing
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:13 pm

tootall wrote:I got offered some dead koi and goldfish from a bloke who had a few die in his pond (don't know why they died - forgot to ask) , my questions are:

1) Is it legal to fish with such deadbaits?
2) If it is has anyone ever tried and had success?

I would guess its not legal in case of the risk of introducing disease etc but I dunno where we stand on this issue so thought i'd ask.

Just for the record i declined to take them off him.

yup its legal, now it may be immoral though, if they have died from a viral infection freezing wont destroy it so i wouldnt use them.
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 pm

1: It's perfectly legal to use goldfish as deadbaits but as suggested, think first about what killed the goldfish in the first place. Viruses certainly won't be killed by freezing.
2: It's illegal to use any fish as live-bait that has been sourced from anywhere other than the water you are currently fishing at the time. Live-baits must be caught on the venue, on which they are to be used.
3: Live-baiting is illegal in Scotland so it's not even an issue.

Transporting live-baits can be tricky, even if you aren't breaking the law. If you happen to walking down the bank with a bucket, a pump and several live-baits and the means to have caught them, you shouldn't have to explain yourself.
If you catch some live-baits from a river, put them in a suitable live-bait container, put it in your car and then drive several miles down the same river for instance and are then 'caught' taking the live-baits that you took from that venue, on the same day, you could find yourself in hot water because you simply cannot prove when or where the fish came from and you could find yourself open to prosecution.

.....Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:05 pm

plusthere a risk of koi herpies an kvn,these are killers in waters,so for saving a few quid i would not risk it
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:38 pm

cheers for info - i know about the livebaiting laws, but thats good info for others Andy Cool
I don't think i would use them anyway which is why i refused the guy in the first place. Nice to have a chat about this sort of thing tho Very Happy
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:31 pm

we had a pond in our garden and the gold fish kept dissappearing, can anyone help!!!! Wink
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Did you drain the pond the pond to find out if they had actually disappeared, because pond goldfish can be notoriously difficult to spot, seemingly burying themselves away, giving the appearance that they've gone amiss.
If you have drained the pond, I'd blame cats, herons or even the other goldfish.

.....Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down