In coloured water???

Go down

In coloured water???

Post  Roly on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

What can we expect whilst fly fishing in coloured river water. How much colour in the water is too much. If the water is very coloured is it a complete waste of time? Is there a yard stick of visibility that is required to achieve a take? 1ft or.... 3- 4ft. Basically how much water clarity or distance of clarity is needed to produce the goods? any fly pattern suggestions for coloured water
Many thanks in advance.
Roly

View user profile http://riverbarrowpiker.blogspot.ie/

Back to top Go down

Re: In coloured water???

Post  stubbo on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Roly wrote:What can we expect whilst fly fishing in coloured river water. How much colour in the water is too much. If the water is very coloured is it a complete waste of time? Is there a yard stick of visibility that is required to achieve a take? 1ft or.... 3- 4ft. Basically how much water clarity or distance of clarity is needed to produce the goods? any fly pattern suggestions for coloured water
Many thanks in advance.
hi roly  ive noticed an improvement when the water is clear  as obviously the fly is seen when it is pulled across a pike  i would of thought they would pick up the vibration of a big fly being stripped through the water  but if the water is really coulored  the sport would be a lot slower i would have thought about a metre of visability or so  would be worth a go
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

coloured water

Post  AlanRobertson on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Roly

I have thought the same as you but carried on regardless and occasionally caught. I do think it limits the expectations but you can do a thing or two to better your chances.

Try using flies that have more movement in the water, big marabou hackle/tail or bunnies. Another thing that might make a difference is instead of using a fly that will move in the water per-say, try one that moves the water, e.g. a stiffer hackle, diving vane (can get these from PikeTrek) or try a surface popper, maybe even a combination that dives and recovers, much the same way a surface lure does. Can even tie in rattles. I'm still experimenting at these types of fly and with the weather, not getting the chance to try them where I am. Will let you know how I get on.

Another thing might be to experiment a bit with the colours, look for triggers, like a bit of colour on a dark fly. Dark fly gives a good silhouette making it easier to see when a fish is looking up at it.

Don't think a bit of colour should make you turn and go back home, if lures can catch in the same water, so should a fly.

Alan

AlanRobertson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:35 pm

AlanRobertson wrote:Hi Roly

I have thought the same as you but carried on regardless and occasionally caught. I do think it limits the expectations but you can do a thing or two to better your chances.

Try using flies that have more movement in the water, big marabou hackle/tail or bunnies. Another thing that might make a difference is instead of using a fly that will move in the water per-say, try one that moves the water, e.g. a stiffer hackle, diving vane (can get these from PikeTrek) or try a surface popper, maybe even a combination that dives and recovers, much the same way a surface lure does. Can even tie in rattles. I'm still experimenting at these types of fly and with the weather, not getting the chance to try them where I am. Will let you know how I get on.

Another thing might be to experiment a bit with the colours, look for triggers, like a bit of colour on a dark fly. Dark fly gives a good silhouette making it easier to see when a fish is looking up at it.

Don't think a bit of colour should make you turn and go back home, if lures can catch in the same water, so should a fly.

Alan
think its more a movement thing than colour just an opplnion  Very Happy 
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down