PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lake windermere fishing off the bank

+3
psion
fatcaff
-CrAiG-
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

lake windermere fishing off the bank Empty lake windermere fishing off the bank

Post  -CrAiG- Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:55 pm

hello... just a bit of advice, im going camping and the camp site is low wray, its on the bank of lake windermere. is it worth fishing off the bank I could leave my rods in over night as I have a receiver, or would I be wasting my time?
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

lake windermere fishing off the bank Empty Re: lake windermere fishing off the bank

Post  fatcaff Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:37 am

You'll never catch a fish if you dont wet a line. I never leave rods out overnight unless i'm planning on sitting up with them.
fatcaff
fatcaff

Back to top Go down

lake windermere fishing off the bank Empty Re: lake windermere fishing off the bank

Post  -CrAiG- Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 pm

it will take me 10 seconds to get to my rods, rather have a rod in while im asleep more chance of a fish, I could hire a boat out for 45 quid a day. I havnt a clue how to fish such a big water, im used to fishing canals for pike. Any one got any tips on what bait to take?
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:49 am

When are you going?

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm

5th September Twisted Evil
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:44 pm

That's a shame am in Scoland then or I could have took you out in my boat.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:23 pm

have you fished those waters before?
is your gear up to the job (most peoples isnt when they first go up its not like soaking a sardine on the leeds liverpool)
sleeping when piking good luck far too many eels to contend with on that score round there.
one other thing to think of do you feel confident with six hook points a pike trying to transfer the hooks into your hand when you are half asleep having just been woken by an alarm?

bait is simple stick to the bylaws on there
gear needs to be rather substantial 3lb rods 20 lb mono or 50-65lb power pro decent wire soft hooks to bend when you snag up (you will) weak links for leads for the same reason

rigs probably better of fishing with pilots or polaris type sliders to keep your line up out of the rocks (proper rocks mind some about the size of a mini)

my 'small' lakeland set up is 3.25 fox pikers with aerlex 8000's (low retrieve is easier than high retrieve reels with big chunks of fish and lead) 0.40mm mainline braid 60lb rubbing leaders and 40lb wire
thats the light set up......
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm

ive got 3.25 rods and big pits with 35lbs braid on. I go night fishing every week, caught hundreds of fish in the dark still got all my fingers. being woken by a fish isn't a concern for me I still get an adrenaline rush every time I get a fish on so I don't think being half asleep is a problem. if I pop my bait up a few feet off bottom will I still get bothered by eels?
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:03 am

-CrAiG- wrote:ive got 3.25 rods and big pits with 35lbs braid on.  I go night fishing every week, caught hundreds of fish in the dark still got all my fingers. being woken by a fish isn't a concern for me I still get an adrenaline rush every time I get a fish on so I don't think being half asleep is a problem.  if I pop my bait up a few feet off bottom will I still get bothered by eels?

Braid is too light pop ups will cut down the eels but not eliminate them it could though give you a chance of a ferox.....

Spare spools for the reels? Stick 18 lb sensor or something cheap on them it will be better than such light braid up there

Plenty of fish to be caught but too many idiots fish too light and leave traces in them
If you get a couple of fish (maybe not so much on windy as opposed to others) you will get fish with traces left in them these days
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:44 pm

got spools with 18lbs line, shall I not use the 35lbs braid? what bait do you use when you go up there? thanks in advance.
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 pm

35lb braid as a diameter of what 0.23mm similar to 10lb mono would you use that up there?
Baits you are restricted to sea baits only
No coarse fish no migratory fish and eels
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:59 pm

ok thanks for all the advice all I need is some bait and some 40+ wire for a few rigs cheers
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:58 pm

-CrAiG- wrote:ok thanks for all the advice all I need is some bait and some 40+ wire for a few rigs cheers

what wire do you use normally? unless its somehting very light use what you have i use the heavier stuff just for a bit of durability
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:41 pm

ive got about 6 rigs in my rig tube made up from last year with greys 49 strand wire(30lbs) on there all about 2ft long with 2 semi barb size 8s trebles on, I prefer the 49strand wire doesn't kink as easy as the coated wire you can buy. They have all been crimped with treble sleeves over them. bounce
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:30 pm

-CrAiG- wrote:ive got about 6 rigs in my rig tube made up from last year with greys 49 strand wire(30lbs) on there all about 2ft long with 2 semi barb size 8s trebles on, I prefer the 49strand wire doesn't kink as easy as the coated wire you can buy.  They have all been crimped with treble sleeves over them.  bounce

It's not what I'd use but should cope

Size 8's they are match hooks man Razz
lake windermere fishing off the bank HPIM0594
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:40 pm

woooot were u off the north sea?? hahaa,,... ive got some nice rapalas for the boat
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:51 pm

The water is very deep and the ledges are sharp and rocky. Many many people who fish from the bank do not use safe rigs and they leave baited rigs in the water as a result. Every baited rig left in the water will be eaten by a pike and every one of those pike will die.
Braid will cut easily on the rocks, your leads must be on a weak link for when they get snagged, your hooks must be soft enough to open out when you get snagged. Personally I believe bank fishing 24/7 has been a major cause of the demise of the lake. The banks are very rocky and uneven, it's difficult enough just to stand up on them during daylight but at 2am, half asleep with 20lbs of fish in your hands??
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 pm

ive got a light on my key ring Razz I wont be half asleep if ive got a fish on the end of my rod Rolling Eyes
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:57 pm

blanked had a nice weekend though...hahaa thanks for
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Any ideas why you blanked?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Knobber Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Its not the easiest of waters pal

Knobber

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:07 am

don't know why I blanked it was sunny most of the day Saturday, I went round the lake in the boat with deadbaits whilst throwing the lures about, when I was fishing off the bank I had one rod in 8ft of water the other in about 4ft by the reeds on the island look very pikey, seen loads of small perch and other little fish no pike tho ha.... it was a bit weedy in places, I seen some decent trout must of been between 6/8lbs coming up for flies just after sunrise. I would deffo go back there for another go.
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 pm

-CrAiG- wrote:don't know why I blanked it was sunny most of the day Saturday, I went round the lake in the boat with deadbaits whilst throwing the lures about, when I was fishing off the bank I had one rod in 8ft of water the other in about 4ft by the reeds on the island look very pikey, seen loads of small perch and other little fish no pike tho ha.... it was a bit weedy in places,  I seen some decent trout must of been between 6/8lbs coming up for flies just after sunrise. I would deffo go back there for another go.

4 and 8 feet
I'd have been looking for 20 foot or so
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:46 pm

If you fancy a trip out on Windermere again I could take you out in my boat for the day.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  -CrAiG- Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:32 pm

thanks for the offer mate, next time I go up there il get on u to see if ur doing anything.....im a total novice up there.. ive spent most of the summer on the canal for carp had some nice ones too, cant wait for the pike fishing to kick off!
-CrAiG-
-CrAiG-

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next