do you use back leads?

Go down

do you use back leads? Empty do you use back leads?

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm

do you use back leads when ledgering shallows or on canals.i use them alot an think there a good method.
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

do you use back leads? Empty Re: do you use back leads?

Post  greg on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:45 pm

nick i've had some in my box for 12yrs. never used them. whats the benifits ??.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 pm

nickcarpy wrote:do you use back leads when ledgering shallows or on canals.i use them alot an think there a good method.

pointless with floating braid, just adds another bow and one you cant compensate for

if i was using mono i probably wouldnt either tbh

now for carp (rat fish Shocked ) i did used to use them captive custom ones of 6 ounce each most commercial ones just turn into swingtips, also used to use flying backleads of an ounce each (made from old style zzip leads)

dont have them anymore gave em away but they had gate clips like fox brought out to release before they moved
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 pm

say if you fishing a canal an ledgering,you fish half way out an its say 4 foot deep,think of the line angle in water to you lead.fish could swim into it more.if you put a back lead on it pins the main line down direct under the rod tip,hence fish ok to swim over main line.same as in all waters
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 pm

nickcarpy wrote:say if you fishing a canal an ledgering,you fish half way out an its say 4 foot deep,think of the line angle in water to you lead.fish could swim into it more.if you put a back lead on it pins the main line down direct under the rod tip,hence fish ok to swim over main line.same as in all waters

am with you nick, the one's i have are small compared to noodles Shocked
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 pm

i dont use them as a rule but they are handy when there are boats and windsurfers etc

dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 pm

i use back leads when i fish on the canal. keeps your rods away from the boat traffic. i put my back leads out into the middle area past the near shelf, dont like my line to touch near shelf as this is were most of the snags are. i often use a 2oz lead or more as i dont want the lead to move if a pike does pick up my bait, i also put a large rubber o ring on the lead to allow line to pass through freely. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:10 pm

nickcarpy wrote:say if you fishing a canal an ledgering,you fish half way out an its say 4 foot deep,think of the line angle in water to you lead.fish could swim into it more.if you put a back lead on it pins the main line down direct under the rod tip,hence fish ok to swim over main line.same as in all waters

id use a float to keep the line up where i can see it and work around it canals can be really bad news for snags and i wouldnt want to get my mainline near them

pike are not tackle shy so dont worry about it, if you do try the old school of thought (hutchy nash etc) and the analogy they used to use. which would freak you more bumbing into something you cant see or seeing something and avoiding it

bright yellow red etc line the way forward.

main thing to consider backleads and drop offs dont mix to well by adding another angle into your line you are increasing resistance you will negate the advantages of open bail presentation as once the line gets free the risk of the line looping round the backlead clip is quite high more so with mono than braid granted, and to strike into the fish you then have to move the back lead before you make contact (think pythagoras for this 4 ft drop twenty yards out how much more line do you need to pick up)

the backlead will act like a float that is set way way over depth only more so as you will need to move the line through water rather than air as you would with a float presentation

sorry for the long reply but i dont think i could have got it accross in a shorter way without saying something like there useless, and then leaving them at that

now for upstream ledgering on some (spate) rivers i can think of a use for backleads for pike but thats a different world to fishing stillwaters
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 pm

MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:i use back leads when i fish on the canal. keeps your rods away from the boat traffic. i put my back leads out into the middle area past the near shelf, dont like my line to touch near shelf as this is were most of the snags are. i often use a 2oz lead or more as i dont want the lead to move if a pike does pick up my bait, i also put a large rubber o ring on the lead to allow line to pass through freely. Very Happy

well hands up i never considered boat traffic as i dont see many but was on one canal last year and lets just say i know where your coming from...
got sick of recasting floats
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm

now for upstream ledgering on some (spate) rivers i can think of a use for backleads for pike but thats a different world to fishing stillwaters

just how different noodle. or is it alot of explaning...
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22 pm

see what logic you are on about noodle,yes line direct to float is better on the strike but sometimes its not allways possible to fish floats.where mads on about is a pain with boats,the hotspots around boat yards an the locks so you can see the reason we use them.you explained you view clear mate,so other people can understand Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 pm

greg wrote:now for upstream ledgering on some (spate) rivers i can think of a use for backleads for pike but thats a different world to fishing stillwaters

just how different noodle. or is it alot of explaning...

its not a lot of explaining

classicly to hold bottom in a river you feed a bow of line out untill enough line is nailed to the bed to hold the weight in place.
fishing upstream reduces the need for this to a degree, add backleads into the equation (fished with baitrunners or off the clutch rather than open bail) and the bow is not needed as you can get all the line on the bottom which helps hold your bait on place.
there are a few other tricks to make big river piking easier but some are not mine to show
things like long sticks with the gardner 'beachcaster' rests can help with some presentations as can 'special' floats

but you will have to google Eric Edwards for that im sure the article is out there somewhere i cant find it at the moment
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:44 pm

thanks for the info noodle Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm

same Smile as when i barbel fish on trent,bow in line ect
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 pm

i've used them for carp before but never pike.... always thought they'd detract from the bite indication
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 pm

yeah just to clear things up i only back lead on canals no were else, and the main reason is as nick said to avoid boats. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 pm

I don't worry about boats on my local canal, dissused since 1936! Shocked

Picture this, 2-3feet deep, weedy with overhanging tree's, often Duckweed covered, most locks removed with concrete bridges over for traffic, water passes through terracotta pipes, full of Tench, Pike defo in there but tackle dealers reckon its full of Jacks... i beg to differ, I've seen em 3' long in clear water Wink
Trent Piker had a nice Jack from it today, see his blog Very Happy

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

boat traffic NIGHTMARE i allways us back leads if there are boats about, as they take a lot of landing and weighing Laughing
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm lucky that the word backlead has never entered into my fishing vocabulary as a solution to a problem but I don't fish near boats, rivers, canals etc. much at all. Maybe once I'm presented with the problem, I'd look at them then but for now....what are we talking about again? Oh aye, backleads...nup never have.

.....Regards.....Andy..... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum