PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

popped up baits

+7
mwillis551
coops440
lowdouble
petestanley
matt859
MAD BAD ANGLER
stubbo
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

popped up baits Empty popped up baits

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 pm

do any of you guys fish the popped up baits like this or do you prefere an internal pop up or a pollen /air injected roach Very Happy [img]popped up baits Vlcsna15[/img]
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

popped up baits Empty Re: popped up baits

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:26 pm

i fish mine like that mate, caught a few on it, so i have faith in the method:D Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 pm

I have some fox pop up balls in my bag but much prefer to use balsa sticks inserted into a bait.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:08 pm

matt859 wrote:I have some fox pop up balls in my bag but much prefer to use balsa sticks inserted into a bait.
now I can see how they look on the bottom I can try different pop up methods and see what works best Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:21 pm

purely from the visual aspect I would like to know if the red pop up balls/foam puts the pike off?
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  petestanley Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:40 pm

I found polyballs too much messing about, even though I do carry some but they never get used. I much prefer the greys pop up floats that screw down the baits throat, or for baits too small for these such as lamprey, I use bait sticks.
petestanley
petestanley

http://www.northernpiker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:31 am

I use red popups and black that I make myself from closed cell foam rubber. On some waters the red popped baits easily outfish the black as maybe the reds an attractor. Probably different on pressured waters but many of the Irish waters I fish very rarely see any popped baits Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:51 pm

if its really weedy then i think these are a must unless you can get hold of some pollen or really buoyant baits mate. been using these on and off for years but i tend to rig them with proper trace wire as they tangle less. its also a bit hard to use these for any distance work cos of the wind resistance on the cast. good pic though Smile

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  mwillis551 Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:22 pm

Never caught anything using them red balls to pop up.
Deadbait on the bottom always seemed to out fish the popped up baits, so stopped using them scratch
mwillis551
mwillis551

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:47 pm

mwillis551 wrote:Never caught anything using them red balls to pop up.
Deadbait on the bottom always seemed to out fish the popped up baits, so stopped using them scratch
had my biggest fish on a pop up so got confidence in the method Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:02 pm

I often wonder if the red pop ups put fish off too.i have caught with em but have caught more on foam,balsa inserts

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:25 pm

the bat wrote:I often wonder if the red pop ups put fish off too.i have caught with em but have caught more on foam,balsa inserts
that's one of the reasons i am going to keep an eye[img]popped up baits Vlcsna18[/img] on the pikes response to a popped up bait
this pike gave this popped up bait a good looking over and decided not to take it....it did have a red pop up ball on its nose
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:43 pm

never ever caught on this, tried it and to be honest only tried it properly this season, still nothing...

if my bottom baits go, then i change the popup straight over to a bottom bait.. even in weed
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm

funnily enough had my biggest fish on a big popped up trout! affraid

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 pm

coops440 wrote:funnily enough had my biggest fish on a big popped up trout! affraid
me too pal ......biggest brace actually poped up trout about 6 inch of the bottom injected with oil affraid think its something you have got to stick with ...not just try every know and then affraid
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm

coops440 wrote:if its really weedy then i think these are a must unless you can get hold of some pollen or really buoyant baits mate. been using these on and off for years but i tend to rig them with proper trace wire as they tangle less. its also a bit hard to use these for any distance work cos of the wind resistance on the cast. good pic though Smile
use a long link so your lead cast in front of your bait you can get better distance on it .......not a lover of lead straight on your main line .... it can fly back up your line on the cast Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 am

stubbo wrote:
coops440 wrote:if its really weedy then i think these are a must unless you can get hold of some pollen or really buoyant baits mate. been using these on and off for years but i tend to rig them with proper trace wire as they tangle less. its also a bit hard to use these for any distance work cos of the wind resistance on the cast. good pic though Smile
use a long link so your lead cast in front of your bait you can get better distance on it   .......not a lover of lead straight on your main line ....   it can fly back up your line on the cast Very Happy

thats my straight lead set up, straight on the main line, never had a problem to be honest, even when fishing at distance.

each to their own to be honest, what ever suits you and what you are confident in
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:17 am

Dave-Newman wrote:
stubbo wrote:
use a long link so your lead cast in front of your bait you can get better distance on it   .......not a lover of lead straight on your main line ....   it can fly back up your line on the cast Very Happy

thats my straight lead set up, straight on the main line, never had a problem to be honest, even when fishing at distance.

each to their own to be honest, what ever suits you and what you are confident in
dave have you tried it pal you will see a difference
years ago I did fish a straight lead myself wont use it now ....like you said dave its what ever your confidence with its ok for close in fishing but fishing at distance it really works pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 am

yeah ive used both ways for the straight lead..

all my piking is simple, but effective setups. EVEN on weedy waters i use the lead on the main line
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  the bat Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:46 pm

When casting with a straight lead on your mainlike,tie your lead to swivel on your trace with pva string to stop it flying up your mainline on the cast.just another option😉

the bat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 am

the bat wrote:When casting with a straight lead on your mainlike,tie your lead to swivel on your trace with pva string to stop it flying up your mainline on the cast.just another option😉

indeed it is, and a good option as well Smile
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 pm

i use a bead above the lead with a braid stop about a foot above. this stops the lead flying backup the line-simples.plus I'm using 5oz leads for my distance work and this keeps em nicely in place.the leads are clipped on a prowler lead clips so run nicely on the braid in the event of a run, but also i can take them off when packing up in seconds so they are not banging on the rods in transit. the beads are a lot of coin for what they are but as yet i haven't found anything as good. Shocked

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:02 am

coops440 wrote:i use a bead above the lead with a braid stop about a foot above. this stops the lead flying backup the line-simples.plus I'm using 5oz leads for my distance work and this keeps em nicely in place.the leads are clipped on a prowler lead clips so run nicely on the braid in the event of a run, but also i can take them off when packing up in seconds so they are not banging on the rods in  transit. the beads are a lot of coin for what they are but as yet i haven't found anything as good. Shocked
what rods are you using pal they must have a good backbone if your casting ... 5oz plus bait ........round about 10 oz.......... lead and bait affraid
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-Newman Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 pm

stubbo wrote:
coops440 wrote:i use a bead above the lead with a braid stop about a foot above. this stops the lead flying backup the line-simples.plus I'm using 5oz leads for my distance work and this keeps em nicely in place.the leads are clipped on a prowler lead clips so run nicely on the braid in the event of a run, but also i can take them off when packing up in seconds so they are not banging on the rods in  transit. the beads are a lot of coin for what they are but as yet i haven't found anything as good. Shocked
what rods are you using pal  they must have a good backbone  if your casting ... 5oz plus bait ........round about 10 oz.......... lead and bait   affraid

carp spod rod...... 5.5tc Smile
Dave-Newman
Dave-Newman

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:19 pm

i have a set of lumbys bait blasters, recently re- built them, re-polish, new rings,etc. these are a proper beast of a blank. when i first started using these i was a bit scared to give it the beans but my mate andy got on it and nearly killed a duck at around 180 yards with just a lead on!!
i have eventually learnt to compress these but boy do they take some getting used to. compare these to a 31/2 ballista which is an unground blank like daves and they are a lot thicker in diameter, but these do play fish out well too.they cast a 5 oz lead a treat, obviously I'm not fishing at 130 yards with this weight but they have improved my distance and my casting really is pants compared to my old mate who seems to be a natural i think.
i have just bought a set of secondhand 13ft 4lb test ballistas that are right for a re build and re-polish so i might be using these towards the end of the season. affraid

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum