PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sunk float paternoster rig

3 posters

Go down

sunk float paternoster rig Empty sunk float paternoster rig

Post  fenlandesox Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:47 am

I have used this rig in the past on deep rivers at close range with limited sucess. i am fishing a venue now where this could be usefull and will be moving to finland in the summer where there are lots of large and deep lakes and rivers where the bottom is ridden with boulders the size of cars. to get the range and to fish the deep areas i will need to have some sort of ledger rig. to avoid loads of snags on the boulders and in new areas i was thinking sunk float paternoster is the best option. My question is how do you fish with proper bite detection ? It is the reason i have avoided this rig over ledgering as i think the float will absorb some of the pulls from the pike as the float is at 45degrees? do you just pull tight and clip up as with a ledger rig?

fenlandesox

Back to top Go down

sunk float paternoster rig Empty Re: sunk float paternoster rig

Post  coops440 Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 pm

would you not be better to avoid the rocks by using float fished lives? either free roaming or drifted maybe? obviously that depends how fast the rivers are flowing but with that many snags any form of levering could become a bit of a tackle nightmare methinks. affraid

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  fenlandesox Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:43 am

True, i have considered that but because of the size of the waters when fishing from the bank you need a lot of range and generally they have shallow shelving banks making float fished lives impractical. But from a boat i have tried and its ok but a 30ft stop knot is a bit of a pain. Does nobody use sunk float pat rigs on here?

fenlandesox

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:46 pm

i used to use the sunken float paternoster years ago,, i used backbiter alarms with no weight on the arm. i would very carefully tighten down to the anchor weight,, then let out line carefully until the float stopped pulling which meant it was vertical underwater. using a backbiter means that then whichever way the pike goes you will get either a drop back alarm or a forward run jumping out of the clip. this is why i prefer backbiters to front alarms for pike fishing Cool
good luck with it Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down